Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,769,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would never be a landlord again , ever,.... even longer...20 years in residential real estate as a lanlord is enough for me...
It's definately one of those things that appears easier then it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,815,225 times
Be prepared for your heart to jump out of your mouth. If you are anyway attatched to your house, sell it. Do not rent.

Today I got a phone call telling me to go to our rental property as the police were there. Seems like my tenants ex husband had put the address down, but also had an arrest warrant out for him. He didnt live there at all, but the cops came searching high and low. Now they were very very nice and understood what happened. But still ; the liability is there, I was imagining the newspaper with my face on it etc. It was address #1 out of 10 they were going to today for the same guy.

I cannot stress it enough ; if you are attatched to the house and want to move ; sell it. Its not worth the agravation or heartache.

d

Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 24,131 times
Got me a map...

I think I read somewhere in this forum Easton is a good place to look at... Anyway by looking at the map (which I should have done in the 1st place) New Haven going into the direction of NYC along I-95 is a good start. Greenwich and some other areas are too rich for my blood and that’s due to having dual residence. My price range is from $200,000 to $300,000. If I find the right place sidewalks might take a backseat… Safety and being able to commute along with a good school system are my priorities..

I’m looking at Devon, Stratford, Southport, Westville, Milford, and Norwalk. Can any of you give me some insight? If you know of any other area nearby please share. Any info is appreciated. Danbury is off I-95 and East Rock I can’t find on the map.

I'm not going to connecticut until after the snow storm that's enough time to do more research and mapping it out before making the trip. I might not need a place to rent because I'm so nearby.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,647,497 times
NYJERI - This is a Long Island forum. I think you ought to post on the CT forum to get your answers.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM

131 posts, read 610,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
Has anyone done this? Have you rented out your first home and, if so, how did that go?

Since I'm so reluctant to sell and such a loss and I do love our house so much, I've given this some thought. We have a fine down payment, but wouldn't be able to support two mortages.

I keep thinking about how in the future I'll love our home in Riverhead even more. Seems so unwise to sell, yet it's not a SD I want to be in now.

Or we could rent out our house when we're ready to move and rent elsewhere rather than buy. Such a bummer we bought when it was all high and now it's low.
I did the same thing. I moved into a better school district and rented out my 1st home about 5 years ago. The rent covers the mortgage. I figure when the house is paid it will be great.

For about 4 years I had no issues but I agree with EVERYTHING with what is written before my post. Last week on a very cold day the heat stopped working, needless to say I had to drop everything and get over there.

I now have a tenant that is really giving me a hard time and it's stressful. Since I don't want my wife to stress out I don't tell her about the situations. We took a cruise last year and I had to make arrangements if anything happened for a close friend to look after.

Even though it's a PITA, I would still do it because after both houses are paid, life will be easier with the additional income. I say go for it, I guess misery loves company

Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,182,479 times
Before you agonize over the decision, why not talk to a good loan officer and find out if this is even an option? If not, then your decision is made for you!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM

20,135 posts, read 20,929,615 times
I don't think it's worth the headache.
It is a total crapshoot.

The wrong tenant can cripple you financially, and more importantly, mentally.
Unless you are independently wealthy and are prepared to support the rental financially for any period of time, I would not do it. Always plan for the worst and hope for the best. Especially now with the economy the way it is. The chances of ending up with some skel for a tenant are very high in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island