Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 10:27 AM

6,430 posts, read 4,926,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
How many years are you going to post the same thing over and over and over. FYI - property values in Peekskill are through the roof.
Along with the property taxes:

https://www.tax-rates.org/new_york/w...y_property_tax

"Westchester County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States, and is ranked 1st of the 3143 counties in order of median property taxes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 11:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Along with the property taxes:

https://www.tax-rates.org/new_york/w...y_property_tax

"Westchester County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States, and is ranked 1st of the 3143 counties in order of median property taxes."
Indeed along with the property taxes. I never considered our house to be a bank that I can just take money out of to pay for even higher taxes and costs of living. Unless I wanted to take out an equity loan that has to be paid back including interest and become further in debt. Property values have gone up just about everywhere except for places like maybe Flint MI, Gary IN or Camden NJ. My old house in Peekskill has probably doubled in value since we left. Same for my home here in Arizona, in fact our home in Arizona has almost tripled in value.

It's not just the property taxes that make it so expensive to live in New York. Utilities are higher, health insurance is higher, groceries are higher etc. Businesses that serve the residents of New York pass those costs down to the consumers of their products and services. Everything from state and local taxes, utilities, employee benefits and salaries to government regulations imposed on them.

We still have long time friends and family that still live in New York. I hope for their sake that Zeldin wins along with drastic changes to the legislature. Even still I doubt that will bring down the overall costs of living in that state. If anything it will keep them in check until the next Democrat governor and administration comes along. Unfortunately New York and California are one party states and it's been that way for decades. The Democrats rule both with an iron fist. However people are really feeling the affects nationwide because of the policies of the Brandon administration. It should be a good year for Republicans even in states like New York and California. I'm surprised that the race is so close in New York. Maloney appears to be in trouble too.

The only way to get ahead is to leave the state if at all possible which for many is not an option. I guess that we can count ourselves as some of the lucky ones? At least for us we were in our early to mid 50's when we left instead of having to wait until retirement. Enough time to really enjoy life instead of being stuck in a miserable rut. There really is nothing better than living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood and having enough left over to buy things that you want and not necessarily need. Not to mention beautiful weather year round and living amongst some of thee most spectacular landscape in the entire country.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-26-2022 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-26-2022, 05:48 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Remember, the Dems got DeBlasio into office twice so they are not voting based on brains or competence.
I used to think it could not be worse than De Blobio……..then came Eric Adams. He believes it is all about perception. I’m sorry Eric tell that to the guy who was rushed and thrown like at a football game down into the sobway. Or the Asians who have been the subject of beatings or the 18 yarrow old girl who was sitting in a car and the stray bullet hit her leg. Or the toddlers that have been injured or killed by the “perception.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:20 AM

719 posts, read 621,333 times
Hochul is an unelected hack.

Cuomo 2.0

The pay for play queen

The only thing she can count on is a massive influx of mail in ballots coincidentally they will all have her box checked off. Democratic voting at its finest

Old 10-27-2022, 08:44 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
The Libs like Hochul are in denial or uninformed (given their reliance on MSNBC and NYT) regarding the violent BLM/Antifa riots so they think NYC’s fear of crime started last Thursday or something.

Which is why she is frantically (and inanely) babbling about our biggest concern. But a Dem now concerned about crime doesn’t pass the giggle test.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 10-27-2022 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 07:41 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Hochul is an unelected hack.

Cuomo 2.0

The pay for play queen

The only thing she can count on is a massive influx of mail in ballots coincidentally they will all have her box checked off. Democratic voting at its finest
Cuomo in a skirt

or

Cruella DeVille

Old 10-28-2022, 09:04 PM

852 posts, read 1,444,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
For us it's now over 12 years and never looked back. We just hated living in New York State, realized it was a hopeless cause and got out. Life out here in the Great American Southwest is a life we could only dream about had we stayed in New York. We are finally living instead of struggling to make ends meet because of the costs of living in such a God awful state.

Our property taxes went from almost $12,000 a year on an 1100 sq. ft. 3bdr. 1bth home in the semi run down City of Peekskill to under $2,000 a year for a 4bdr. 2bth. 2,000 sq.ft. home in a desirable neighborhood in a desirable town in Arizona. In the 12 years that we've lived here our taxes only went up by some $200. We have all of the amenities that some New Yorkers like to brag about in order to justify their astronomical property taxes and overall costs of living. I'm guessing that we save about $20,000 a year. That's $20,000 to spend or save as we see fit instead of watching it disappear into the giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's state, local governments and public education cartel.

When compared to the Great American Southwest and other parts of the country. There really is no reason on God's green earth why it has to cost so much to live in a state like New York. What's so great about New York that makes it so expensive to live there? NOTHING! You really have to experience living in another state to understand that.
And yet here you are...12 years later... posting on Long Island boards! How sad. Makes me wonder how happy you truly are.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,262,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
And yet here you are...12 years later... posting on Long Island boards! How sad. Makes me wonder how happy you truly are.
I know. It is sad and pathetic.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:39 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Woody516 and rubygreta. I too am a former Ny'er. I, like ex ny'er post here often too. Let me tell you why, and it has zero to do with happiness and it certainly is not sad and pathetic.

I am gone just shy of 10 years. For the record, I love and always will love LI. I was there for 59 years and it is still referred to as home, as in I am going home. I have repeatedly stated that for DH and I, we are in the best place we could be for us, now, as in - in this time of our life.

Before making statements on how sad & pathetic we are, have you considered that some us have family still on LI, or property and friends? Just because you leave someplace does not reduce you to not having the ability to comment on it, at least not yet anyway.

Some of us have kids and grandies that we worry about and still others - life long friends. While I have a very different experience than ex-ny'er, that does not make his OPINION, any less valid. FWIW, there are points in his posting that I agree with whole heartedly.

I live in a 2500 square foot home, a little under 2 miles from the beach and boardwalk. My taxes are $1175.57, and that includes a $400 discount because I am a senior. They figure, we are not taking anything out of the system, so why charge us.

A neighbor decided to add an additional garage on his home - from permit to dig to inspect footing, 9 business days. That could be 9 months on LI.
Now we don't have the medical care that NY does and we have no sales tax either. We do, however have a 4% of the purchase price of a home fee (read tax), the is split 2/2 between buyer and seller as a general rule, and we also have a fee based upon the value of you car when you first register. There are pluses and minus to life no matter where you live, but at least for now, myself, ex NY'er and hotkarl to name justa few still are allowed to comment.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:28 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Woody516 and rubygreta. I too am a former Ny'er. I, like ex ny'er post here often too. Let me tell you why, and it has zero to do with happiness and it certainly is not sad and pathetic.

I am gone just shy of 10 years. For the record, I love and always will love LI. I was there for 59 years and it is still referred to as home, as in I am going home. I have repeatedly stated that for DH and I, we are in the best place we could be for us, now, as in - in this time of our life.

Before making statements on how sad & pathetic we are, have you considered that some us have family still on LI, or property and friends? Just because you leave someplace does not reduce you to not having the ability to comment on it, at least not yet anyway.

Some of us have kids and grandies that we worry about and still others - life long friends. While I have a very different experience than ex-ny'er, that does not make his OPINION, any less valid. FWIW, there are points in his posting that I agree with whole heartedly.

I live in a 2500 square foot home, a little under 2 miles from the beach and boardwalk. My taxes are $1175.57, and that includes a $400 discount because I am a senior. They figure, we are not taking anything out of the system, so why charge us.

A neighbor decided to add an additional garage on his home - from permit to dig to inspect footing, 9 business days. That could be 9 months on LI.
Now we don't have the medical care that NY does and we have no sales tax either. We do, however have a 4% of the purchase price of a home fee (read tax), the is split 2/2 between buyer and seller as a general rule, and we also have a fee based upon the value of you car when you first register. There are pluses and minus to life no matter where you live, but at least for now, myself, ex NY'er and hotkarl to name justa few still are allowed to comment.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. If people do not like what we write then they have the freedom not to read it. They can put us on their ignore list. For what it's worth I put Rubygreta and Woody516 on my ignore list a long time ago as I refuse to argue with or acknowledge such people. Which I have every right to do. I think they call it feeding the trolls? Apparently they haven't caught on?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-29-2022 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island