Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 07:47 AM

874 posts, read 730,289 times

Advertisements

thats right , give jeff bezos millions in tax breaks and raise the taxes of the working folk!

god forbid you want a dormer on your house! the town WILL come by and "reassess" your house and raise your taxes!

but when the richest man in the world needs a warehouse he gets tax breaks.

now what, they will have 200 low skilled and low paying jobs for high school and colleges students!

lets get serious, nobody is buying a home on long island working at a warehouse in amazon making $15 an hour! when you take taxes out they are making $10-11 dollars an hour!!!

why not tax amazon and lower out damn taxes!!!

https://www.newsday.com/business/ama...ies-1.50187723

The Nassau County Industrial Development Agency voted 6-1 Thursday night to provide millions of dollars in tax breaks for the proposed Amazon "last-mile" warehouse in Syosset.

"Right now, people need jobs," said IDA chairman Richard Kessel. "There are a lot of people who pontificate about whether we should or shouldn’t do this project – but many of those people have jobs. I’m talking about helping people who aren’t working, providing them with opportunity," he said.
John Coumatos, the lone board member voting "nay," predicted more jobs would be lost at small retailers, big box stores, malls and other competitors of Amazon, which posted a profit of $21 billion last year, nearly double its 2019 earnings.

Another board member, board secretary Timothy Williams, said he supported the 204,000-square-foot warehouse but questioned why the online behemoth needs $537,750 off the mortgage recording tax. "That looks a little ugly," he said.
Amazon and warehouse developer Syosset Park Development LLC also were awarded a sales-tax exemption of up to $2.8 million on the purchase of construction materials and equipment; and a property-tax reduction of $8 million over 15 years. The latter is an estimate from the Syosset Central School District, which opposes the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 08:08 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,831,279 times
Nassau has been trading tax abatements for jobs for 50 years. Read a book, dude.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:13 AM

69 posts, read 158,473 times
Just because they have been doing it for 50 years doesn't make it right. Anyway, Nassau has given tax abatement's to the worlds richest man previously?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:23 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,831,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
Just because they have been doing it for 50 years doesn't make it right. Anyway, Nassau has given tax abatement's to the worlds richest man previously?
Suffolk has, the warehouse in Westhampton Beach got over $2m in tax breaks. The Syosset warehouse is getting theirs. Right or wrong, LI has been paying in tax breaks for job creation (mostly bogus and never meeting the promised numbers) for years and years and years. It's been wrong for years and years, too, but like most ponzi employment here (cops, teachers, corporate welfare), we do nothing about it. Search the threads on here for 100's of posts about it over the years. IDAs, PILOTS, etc.

Ya think people paying taxes up the wazoo while the rich and crony capitalist connected don't is something new?! We invented it.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:24 AM

34,149 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Suffolk has, the warehouse in Westhampton Beach got over $2m in tax breaks. The Syosset warehouse is getting theirs. Right or wrong, LI has been paying in tax breaks for job creation (mostly bogus and never meeting the promised numbers) for years and years and years. It's been wrong for years and years, too, but like most ponzi employment here (cops, teachers, corporate welfare), we do nothing about it. Search the threads on here for 1000's of posts about it over the years. IDS, PILOTS, etc.

Ya think people paying taxes up the wazoo while the rich and crony capitalist connected don't is something new?! We invented it.

Just know that at least one person sees your point

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-19-2021, 09:10 AM

516 posts, read 1,078,796 times
Lets recap:

The property is now vacant and paying taxes as vacant land. Amazon is going to build a warehouse and even with the tax breaks they will still be paying more taxes than the vacant land was. Wheres the big loss to the taxpayers, no one else wants to build on this contaminated land.

How does this hurt the local Mom & Pop stores?? No one who buys from Amazon considers where the items they purchase are going to come from. When I click BUY, I do not care if the items come from CA, NJ or soon Long Island as long as they are delivered by the promised date. I buy from Amazon because it's convenient, I do shop local where I can but at 10pm when something I need comes to mind it's Amazon that gets my business

Old 03-19-2021, 09:36 AM

33 posts, read 31,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
Lets recap:

The property is now vacant and paying taxes as vacant land. Amazon is going to build a warehouse and even with the tax breaks they will still be paying more taxes than the vacant land was. Wheres the big loss to the taxpayers, no one else wants to build on this contaminated land.

How does this hurt the local Mom & Pop stores?? No one who buys from Amazon considers where the items they purchase are going to come from. When I click BUY, I do not care if the items come from CA, NJ or soon Long Island as long as they are delivered by the promised date. I buy from Amazon because it's convenient, I do shop local where I can but at 10pm when something I need comes to mind it's Amazon that gets my business
Actually there was going to be great mixed use residential and commercial development with a beautiful park but the NIMBYS chased it out. Now we get an ugly and useless warehouse. Gotta love it

https://libn.com/2019/05/16/syosset-...-of-land-deal/

Old 03-19-2021, 09:46 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,339,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Suffolk has, the warehouse in Westhampton Beach got over $2m in tax breaks. The Syosset warehouse is getting theirs. Right or wrong, LI has been paying in tax breaks for job creation (mostly bogus and never meeting the promised numbers) for years and years and years. It's been wrong for years and years, too, but like most ponzi employment here (cops, teachers, corporate welfare), we do nothing about it. Search the threads on here for 100's of posts about it over the years. IDAs, PILOTS, etc.

Cannon is the only one I can think of that may have worked. 1400 jobs avg salary of 75k that was about 10 years ago. Granted they stole them from Nassau. It still brought living wage jobs to Suffolk. Those tax breaks expire this year or next. That building has much more of a economic impact even with the Tax breaks than the pumpkin farm did.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:01 AM

244 posts, read 670,228 times
Take a look at what Amazon has done for the country and the world before you make uneducated criticism. No other company has advanced humankind like Amazon and there are reasons millions in enticements are thrown at them.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:02 AM

1,277 posts, read 571,737 times
Long Island gets the development it deserves. When NIMBYs fight every little project because it might bring traffic or people from Queens, we end up with only the big money players wanting to even bother dealing with the nonsense that is needed before a shovel is in the ground.

Also doesn't help that nobody has any kind of master development plan, so town and village boards base their approvals or denials on how many votes it will swing on the next election or how big of a check is cut to the political party in control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island