Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
From all this what shocked me the most is that they may raise taxes if you install hardwood floors instead of carpet. I just bought hardwood floors at less than $4 Sq ft. How is that a factor in my taxes??
The only thing that this would do is make people want to keep their houses ugly. Wtf?
This is why, under no circumstance do you ever let the town inside your house. Unless you doing a major addition, there is no need for them to every do an inspection. They have no idea what the inside of your home looks like and you should keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 AM

983 posts, read 725,277 times
That's not my point. I'm saying that (and I hope it's not the case in Nassau) they will not tax a house based on desirability. It's ridiculous.
The only thing that [should] matter is square footage and TOWN desirability and "amenities". What happens inside your square footage is nobody's business.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
That's not my point. I'm saying that (and I hope it's not the case in Nassau) they will not tax a house based on desirability. It's ridiculous.
The only thing that [should] matter is square footage and TOWN desirability and "amenities". What happens inside your square footage is nobody's business.
Well your in for a disappointing reality check. They will tell you that interior renovations will not increase your taxes. This is 100% true, but this is where the truth is a lie. Your renovate your kitchen get a permit for some dumb reason. The town comes over you are fine, the sink you moved 2 feet is fine as is the wall you removed. This will not raise your taxes. BUT they will now say your house is more valuable due to the new kitchen and they will make your FMV higher thus triggering a tax increase. They told you the truth renovating your interior will not cause a tax hike, but it will trigger your house to be considered worth more $$ this raising your FMV and the hike in your FMV will raise your taxes.

I cant speak for all of Suffolk. Huntington does it the way you mentioned. Sale Price, Sq footage, Lot size are the core bathrooms,garage,pool,fireplace have an impact but its minimal. They don't care if you have gold floors with with diamond grout or shag carpet from 1973.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:13 PM

983 posts, read 725,277 times
Did you renovate your kitchen and got a tax increase?

Old 10-05-2018, 11:32 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The plans may not be perfect, and in some cases might be painful, but better than the current absolute disaster of a system we currently have. The donations either sides has received from these firms aren't even remotely close.
She took $15,000 in donations from a law firm which does the assessments.

You can't say you're going to change the system if you are influenced by outside $$$$.

The bottom line is this needs to be handled by the individual TOWNS, not Nassau County. Nassau is broke because they are responsible for the assessments.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Who even knows what the fook you're talking about?! My post agreed with you (even though you cut out the 100 in front of %), so if I'm a liberal, then you are too, snowy. As for S. Merrick, again, remove your head from yer azz. Their rep is a republican. Nice try, one trick pony.
That's because you're hero Denenberg went to jail!

Old 10-05-2018, 12:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The only way to make assessments truly fair is to compile a check list with a ton of different variables for example hardwood floors, tile floors, laminate floors, etc. and do the same for every different possibility of home features. Then a value would be ascribed to that feature and then based upon the total number an assessment could be rendered. And here is where it all falls apart. Several teams would have to be assembled so that over a period of time, each home is visited and inventoried. Even if it were accomplishable physically, how can a demand be made that an inspector could enter every home. It will never happen.

Probably the sale price assessment with perhaps an average neighborhood number would be the closest. Maybe even an average over 5 years so in a down market people are not getting killed. That way you toss the high and the low and get to a point that is more centric. It will still not be great but maybe a little better.
nope..you don't use ""features"" for an assessment

whether you have solid wood floors or cheap Pergo, should not matter

total acreage , total bedrooms, total living square foot, total subterranean/in living square foot, number of garages/sheds, and total fencing and pools

just like for insurance purposes.. you have a 2000sf house, figure 75k worth of inside stuff
2000sf x the going rate for a build (say 150 a square) = 300k plus 75k... total insured value 375k doesn't matter if you bought the dump for 750k..the building is only worth the cost to build a new one

Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Palm Beach County Florida does around a 2% flat tax. Home prices go up taxes increase. Value goes down so do your taxes. Problem solved.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:59 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Some of the incorporated villages that levy their own property taxes absolutely do care what your interior finishes are.

For example the Village of Nissequogue will impose extra taxes (which they call "surcharges", as if you've done something wrong, lol) for things like Jacuzzi/jetted bathtubs and intercom systems, which they classify as "luxury amenities." They will also surcharge you for putting brick facing on more than just the house front. Marble or granite tile instead of ceramic or porcelain = surcharge. No surcharge for hardwood versus carpet-over-plywood though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Head of the Harbor does the same thing, because those two villages work in tandem in many aspects.

Don't know if it has changed in recent years (I doubt it) but during the 1990s Nissequogue would levy a flat 11% of whatever the Town of Smithtown taxes were, as the base Village property tax amount and then add whatever "luxury amenity surcharges" you may have that are on their list. I did laugh at the Nutone intercom system being a "luxury" item though. I wonder if one of the Smart Home systems would get the same treatment nowadays.

Now, that said, my experience with them was in connection with new construction and so for a remodeling job things may work differently.

ETA: The more I think about it, the less sure I am that the all-brickface surcharge was Nissequogue's. That one may have come from Town of Smithtown. I am pretty sure that the intercom and whirlpool tub surcharges were from the Village though. Sorry about the memory gap but that was 20 years ago and we sold the house as soon as the final COs were issued, never having moved into it. The house took 2 years to build. Smithtown does "partial assessments" of ongoing new construction during the process and the first tax bills we got from both jurisdictions did have the unexpected surcharges on them.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 10-06-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Palm Beach County Florida does around a 2% flat tax. Home prices go up taxes increase. Value goes down so do your taxes. Problem solved.
Problem not solved when the county's budget hasn't changed. Every year, they need more money to cover expenses, and this ain't gonna happen on LI. I recall my taxes went up every year, even though the value had dropped when the r.e. market crashed.

They get around the valuation dropping by raising the rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island