Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:36 PM

27 posts, read 19,224 times

Advertisements

4x4 permits are enforced, if you are caught without the proper permits including the proper equipment, you will be ticketed and fined.

The question you need to ask yourself is;
If I get stuck, what will I do?

Who can you call if you get stuck? There are only a couple trucks in all of Long Island who will come and bail you out and it will cost you.

Don't depend on other people who have the proper permits and equipment to bail you out. The ones who have the permits and equipment won't help you. They took the time to pay for permits and procure the proper equipment.

I have seen lots of cars become buried by the incoming tide, don't let yourself be that person, if your car is caught by the incoming tide, you will total your vehicle, it will become a total loss and you could be subject to additional fines by the EPA for pollution should gasoline or oil leak out your vehicle not to mention it will cost you a ton of money to hire a wrecker to dig you out of the sand and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 02:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra85 View Post
I wouldn't advise it unless you're only driving in hard packed sand, which is not Smiths Point. Even if you don't get stuck, I would imagine the drive system would get very stressed and could overheat, which leads to issues.
Ground clearance could be an issue as well. Between partially sinking into the sand and airing down, clearance will be diminished.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergmac View Post
4x4 permits are enforced, if you are caught without the proper permits including the proper equipment, you will be ticketed and fined.

Who can you call if you get stuck? There are only a couple trucks in all of Long Island who will come and bail you out and it will cost you.

Don't depend on other people who have the proper permits and equipment to bail you out. The ones who have the permits and equipment won't help you. They took the time to pay for permits and procure the proper equipment.

I have seen lots of cars become buried by the incoming tide, don't let yourself be that person, if your car is caught by the incoming tide, you will total your vehicle, it will become a total loss and you could be subject to additional fines by the EPA for pollution should gasoline or oil leak out your vehicle not to mention it will cost you a ton of money to hire a wrecker to dig you out of the sand and water.
On the bright side, should the OP become stuck, someone there will record it, uploading it for scores of us to enjoy.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,541,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergmac View Post

Speaking for myself, it was more out of curiosity and more of the do they enforce the fishing element (assuming all permits and proper equipment are in place).

Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM

345 posts, read 339,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
The State permit is really for fishing. Is that seriously enforced?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm in Town Of Southold.
Didn't know there was still that many areas allowed.
Then again, I don't get out that often anymore. Most of the places I go have no vehicle signs.
Ah, southold doesn't have beach driving access to my knowledge, but lots of town-only parking/beaches which are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it would not be a choice of mine on a beach . it really is not even awd . it has some four wheel assist . if the front wheels spin it will try to offer some assistance from the rear but it is very weak in my opinion .

it is not comparable to a good awd system like subaru , bmw ,audi , jeep .
Not really true. Is it as good? In certain situations. It's fine for the beach if you drive correctly. I've seen plenty of Mazdas, Hyundais, Kias all on the beach. Follow the link to learn about modern PTO 4wd systems and how they compare to old school systems.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/how-m...s-b-1821928762

New BMWs and even Jeeps use the same type of "sub-par" system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra85 View Post
I wouldn't advise it unless you're only driving in hard packed sand, which is not Smiths Point. Even if you don't get stuck, I would imagine the drive system would get very stressed and could overheat, which leads to issues.
Not true. Older (read: early to mid 2000s) brake-assist traction control 4WD and AWD systems can and will overheat in high wheel speed, low traction situations and like snow/ice, loose dirt and gravel, etc. They will cut power and slow or impede forward motion. That won't happen in the sand on LI, because once you get stuck, you're stuck. There is no "back up and try again" most of the time on the beach. It would be a problem in places with large sand dunes, like Pismo in california or other places out west.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:59 PM

106,911 posts, read 109,176,429 times
you can see them all tested right on youtube . you can see the differences , especially in the Subaru system .

there are loads of comparisons . the crv is a pretty weak system .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...28&FORM=VDQVAP

Old 02-16-2018, 05:20 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,213,972 times
Is a Toyota 4runner good in sand?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:25 PM

20,164 posts, read 20,945,478 times
The CRV and similar models were designed to be a slightly cooler version of the soccer/grocery van.
They are not designed for serious off road use.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Is a Toyota 4runner good in sand?
yes .

Old 02-17-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The CRV and similar models were designed to be a slightly cooler version of the soccer/grocery van.
They are not designed for serious off road use.
i have had quite a few awd and 4x4's . i don't do any off roading anymore so traded my jeep for a 2018 subaru outback . while up until now i liked the bmw awd system the subaru is the best to date .

it can move up to 80% torque to any of the axels as well as is always in awd . most are only part time awd . they are basically either front wheel drive or rear wheel drinve in the bmw's and then shift when you run in to trouble .

most vehicles are reactive after you get in to trouble and then they shift power . the full time subaru system is always engaged so odds of even getting in to a situation is slim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island