Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,173 times

Advertisements

I think the following should become a sticky post for newcomer's visiting London:

MONEY
The Brits have peculiar words for many things. Money is referred to as “goolies” in slang, so you should for instance say “I’d love to come to the pub but I haven’t got any goolies”.
“Quid” is the modern word for what was once called a “shilling” – the equivalent of seventeen cents American.

MAKING FRIENDS
If you are fond of someone, you should tell him he is a “great tosser” – he will be touched.
The English are a notoriously tactile, demonstrative people, and if you want to fit in you should hold hands with your acquaintances and tossers when you walk down the street.

CUSTOMS
Since their Labour government whole-heartedly embraced full union with Europe, the Brits have been attempting to adopt certain continental customs such as the large midday meal, followed by a two or three hour siesta, which they call a "wanke”.
As this is still a fairly new practice in Britain, it is not uncommon for people to oversleep (alarm clocks, alas, do not work there due to the magnetic pull from Greenwich). If you are late for supper, simply apologise and explain that you were having a “wanke" – everyone will understand and forgive you.

RELAXING
One of the most delightful ways to spend an afternoon in Oxford or Cambridge is gliding gently down the river in one of their flat-bottomed boats, which you propel using a long pole. This is known as “cottaging”.
Many of the boats (called “yer-i-nals”) are privately owned by the colleges, but there are some places that rent them to the public by the hour. Just tell a professor or policeman that you are interested in doing some cottaging and would like to know where the public yerinals are.
The poles must be treated with vegetable oil to protect them from the water, so it’s a good idea to buy a can of shortening and have it on you when you ask directions to the yerinals. That way people will know you are an experienced cottager.

FOOD AND WINE
British cuisine enjoys a well-deserved reputation as the most sublime gastronomic pleasure available to man.
Thanks to today’s robust dollar, the American traveller can easily afford to dine out several times a week (rest assured that a British meal is worth interrupting your afternoon "wanke” for).
Few foreigners are aware that there are several grades of meat in the UK. The best cuts of meat, like the best bottles of gin, bear Her Majesty’s seal, called the British Stamp of Excellence (BSE).
When you go to a fine restaurant, tell your waiter you want BSE beef and won’t settle for anything less. If he balks at your request, custom dictates that you jerk your head imperiously back and forth while rolling your eyes to show him who is boss.
Once the waiter realises you are a person of discriminating taste, he may offer to let you peruse the restaurant’s list of exquisite British wines. If he does not, you should order one anyway. The best wine grapes grow on the steep, chalky hillsides of Yorkshire and East Anglia – try an Ely ‘94 or Ripon ‘98 for a rare treat indeed.
When the bill for your meal comes it will show a suggested amount. Pay whatever you think is fair, unless you plan to dine there again, in which case you should simply walk out; the restaurant host will understand that he should run a tab for you.

TRANSPORTATION
Public taxis are subsidized by Her Majesty’s Government. A taxi ride in London costs two pounds, no matter how far you travel. If a taxi driver tries to overcharge you, you should yell, “I think not, you charlatan!” then grab the nearest policeman (bobby) and have the driver disciplined.
It is rarely necessary to take a taxi, though, since bus drivers are required to make detours at ‘patrons’ requests. Just board any bus, pay your fare of thruppence (the heavy gold-coloured coins are “pence”), and state your destination clearly to the driver, e.g.: “Please take me to the British Library.”
A driver will frequently try to have a bit of harmless fun by pretending he doesn’t go to your requested destination. Ignore him, as he is only teasing the American tourist (little does he know you’re not so ignorant!).
For those travelling on a shoestring budget, the London Tube may be the most economical way to get about, especially if you are a woman.
Chivalry is alive and well in Britain, and ladies still travel free on the Tube. Simply take some tokens from the baskets at the base of the escalators or on the platforms; you will find one near any of the state-sponsored Tube musicians.
Once on the platform, though, beware! Approaching trains sometimes disturb the large Gappe bats that roost in the tunnels. The Gappes were smuggled into London in the early 19th century by French saboteurs and have proved impossible to exterminate.
The announcement “Mind the Gappe!” is a signal that you should grab your hair and look towards the ceiling.
Very few people have ever been killed by Gappes, though, and they are considered only a minor drawback to an otherwise excellent means of transportation.

AIRPORTS
One final note: for preferential treatment when you arrive at Heathrow airport, announce that you are a member of Shin Fane (an international Jewish peace organization – the “shin” stands for “shalom”).
As savvy travellers know, this little white lie will assure you priority treatment as you make your way through customs.

Safe travels and Bon Voyage!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 03-22-2011 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Funny! I don't believe a word! I like British humor!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Took me a few seconds but I eventually got the joke - good one!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
NOTE TO AMERICANS: yeah, none of this is true.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
The wines bit is partially true. The southern counties make some excellent wines, the soil and climate are so similar to France as to be indistinguishable.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 PM

65 posts, read 352,014 times
Hilarious!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,361 times
OMG, I THOUGHT THIS WAS ALL TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sitting here trying to memorize every last word as I would love to visit London and would never want to appear rude, so this advise is not true! LOL

I would love to go cottaging and use a yerinal, I already had it written down!

Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM

261 posts, read 527,355 times
Ha. Don't be surprised if you get any strange looks with this list...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,917 times
I questioned it at first when it came to holding hands.. but was totally on to the ruse by the time i got to running late cuz "i'm having a wanke" lol

besides... thats why i tell people im late for things ANYWAY =P

Old 05-07-2011, 07:46 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Yeah, I figured it was a sarcastic joke when I saw the £2 flat rate taxi fares, the Heathrow customs advice, and about the "robust American dollar", plus some of the other off-the-wall statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London