Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 AM

93 posts, read 422,652 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I will possibly be moving to Lexington from Phoenix, AZ in the upcoming months for a job promotion and had a few questions. Before I get to the questions, here are the details about my situation.

I am 27, single, no kids and I will not be living with a roomate.

I will be working at the Texas Roadhouse either on Lakecrest or Richmond in the zip codes 40513 and 40509 respectively.

I am hoping to rent a townhouse, small house or apartment, minimum of 2 bedrooms, for no more than $800. per month.

So that being said, is the South Lexington area a relatively safe area for me a single female to live in? Is there any kind of night life in the area, shopping, dining, local pub's/bars, movie theaters? If the area is not a great area, where would you recommend I look? I don't mind driving up to 10-12 miles to be in an area that might be a better fit. I also don't mind being a bit out in the country, as long as there is the usual target, walmart, grocery stores nearby. I am ok with driving 10-15 min if I want to go out on the town a few times a month.

Lastly, has anyone visited either of the Texas Roadhouse's in Lexington? I am curious to what the general publics opinion is of either location. I ask, because I would prefer to work in the better (busier) of the two.

Thank you all for your advice and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
South Lexington is really nice, I think you would really like it - but within the zip codes you mentioned it might be really hard to find a two bedroom or larger for 800 dollars or less... here are some links for you to check out of examples, I live near and work near the Beaumont area (40513) and it is a good neighborhood, I think the other off Richmond road is in a good area also.....not for sure which of the two would be the most busy....

40509 also
40509 too
Another 40509

Man of War circles Lexington in a Loop, and you would be relatively close to the places where you would work anywhere in South Lexington, off of Man of War (or close to it.)
Here are some nice Apartments that fit that criteria (plus are fairly close to Target, Wal-mart and other Groceries, etc) They should fall within your price range I believe.

The Mansion

Shillito Park Apartments

Racquet Club

Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Thank you! I will check them out! Also, what about more outlying areas say headed towards Nicholasville, or Versailles? Would there be any places if I looked a bit further out that would get me more for my money? What is the traffic like in those areas? I would typically be heading into work around 3-4pm and heading home around 10-11pm, would I encounter much traffic? Another random question, I did find some nice apartments in the Georgetown area. Now I know that is way north of Lexington, but according to mapquest, its only about 15 miles away, would I be crazy for considering that? The complex is called Aberdine Place, and it seemed really nice

Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Prices for apartments and homes are usually much better outside of Lexington imo
(living in a small town or more rural area almost always costs less for some reason).
(They filmed the movie Elizabethtown in Versailles as a side note)

You wouldn't be crazy to consider Georgetown, I work in the Palomar area (right next door so to speak, to the Beaumont area) and several of my coworkers live in Georgetown and commute daily to work. My husband worked for the Toyota Plant for more than a decade and commuted from here for more than a decade, but I would say it seemed to take closer to 20 to 30 minutes.

You would be close to Krogers and Walmart in Georgetown, Versailles or Nicholasville...
Nightlife though, you would probably have to come to Lexington (I could be wrong, but I have never noticed anything in the smaller towns like that - more people will read this later, and they can correct me if I am wrong about that though.) Georgetown use to be dry, but I am thinking a few years back, they changed that.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM

You will be heading to work right before rush hour hits at it's worst, but you will get the school traffic going to work on weekdays, so it might take a bit longer, if you are driving near any of the schools. It should be a bit better at night, I would think.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks again for the advice! I have been looking on craigslist and it seems like there are quite a few properties available that might work for me. I am trying to avoid moving to an apartment complex if possible. I would really prefer a townhome or duplex; something that feels more like a house or "home" than an apartment. An apartment would honestly be a last resort.

So a few more questions...Is Lexington prone to flooding in certain areas? And if so, where are they? Also, does Lexington get snow? And if so, how much in a typical year? Lastly, how much might the utilities, (water, trash, electric,) be on a 2bedroom, 2 bath, 1000-1400 sq foot, 2 story townhome might be, just trying to get a rough estimate.

Oh, is there a rental tax on properties? Or is the price listed what you pay?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM

I see flash flood warnings on tv all the time, but have never had or heard of one where I live at....maybe someone else could answer this one better. Yes, Lexington gets snow, usually not a lot though...generally it's just a dusting or an inch or two, and is gone in a day or two....but yes, we do get snow and ice storms from time to time.

I don't blame you for wanting a home, duplex or townhome instead of an apartment.
I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath townhome, but our utilities are probably a lot more than what you would pay because there are three of us, and somebody is always up doing something,
(three showers a day in comparison to your one shower probably.)and I use the washing machine and dryer daily as well as the dishwasher. Plus, I cook most meals at home, rarely eat out, sometimes wash the car...so we use a lot of electricity/water I think. We have electric heat, no gas here...and that runs about a hundred to one hundred and fifty a month...we pay about 30 to 40 to the water company, about 30 to 40 a month for the sewers - we don't pay for trash pick up. There is no rental tax - you only pay taxes if you own. (Don't be scared we pay so much in utilites because we are a family, I am sure your bills would be a fraction of that. My next door neighbors pay way, way less - she was shocked to see how much ours were. My other neighbor who is single told me he pays about 25 dollars a month for his water, and only about 80 to 90 for his electricity...so that would probably be more in the range of what you would pay.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM

Here are a couple of photos of when it snowed (March 2012) in Lexington. (Horsepark)
Attached Thumbnails
Info about south Lexington, specifically zip codes 40513 and 40509, are they good areas for a young professional?-fullscreen-capture-3142013-41003-pm.jpg   Info about south Lexington, specifically zip codes 40513 and 40509, are they good areas for a young professional?-fullscreen-capture-3142013-40922-pm.jpg   Info about south Lexington, specifically zip codes 40513 and 40509, are they good areas for a young professional?-fullscreen-capture-3142013-42322-pm.jpg   Info about south Lexington, specifically zip codes 40513 and 40509, are they good areas for a young professional?-fullscreen-capture-3142013-41020-pm.jpg   Info about south Lexington, specifically zip codes 40513 and 40509, are they good areas for a young professional?-fullscreen-capture-3142013-42214-pm.jpg  

Info about south Lexington, specifically zip codes 40513 and 40509, are they good areas for a young professional?-fullscreen-capture-3142013-42232-pm.jpg  

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-09-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Oh it looks so pretty! I am originally from PA, so I don't mind the snow, I was just curious what the winters were like there. Coming from Phoenix, it sounds like my utilities might be less. Currently in Phoenix, I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom townhouse that is 1230 sq ft. The water, sewer and trash are included in the rent here, but Arizona charges a 2% -3.5% rental tax on top of the price of the rental. My initial rent is $700. per month, but with the tax, I pay $721. each month. Additionally, the electric gets pretty expensive here in the summer since the ac runs constantly. I keep my house set at a borderline uncomfortably warm 85 degrees at all times and my electric for last month was $200. Hopefully I will be able to run ac much less in Lexington and actually leave windows open at night to cool things down!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Oh it looks so pretty! I am originally from PA, so I don't mind the snow, I was just curious what the winters were like there. Coming from Phoenix, it sounds like my utilities might be less. Currently in Phoenix, I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom townhouse that is 1230 sq ft. The water, sewer and trash are included in the rent here, but Arizona charges a 2% -3.5% rental tax on top of the price of the rental. My initial rent is $700. per month, but with the tax, I pay $721. each month. Additionally, the electric gets pretty expensive here in the summer since the ac runs constantly. I keep my house set at a borderline uncomfortably warm 85 degrees at all times and my electric for last month was $200. Hopefully I will be able to run ac much less in Lexington and actually leave windows open at night to cool things down!
Actually, you can keep the windows open during much of the day and use window or ceiling fans (or both) to keep things quite comfortable. I have an old attic fan which with the addition of the above, keeps my house pleasant most of the summer - no AC needed thus far this year, though it's been a close call a few times. I have a brick house with a shady yard, which also helps. Just checked - it's 84 inside right now but feels a lot cooler, with my window fan in place and running. I like things a little on the warm side, too. My last electric bill was nowhere near $200 ( I have gas heat and water - heat not in use at present, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area