Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 04:05 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,626,237 times

Advertisements

There are no towns in Parkland school district. There are lots of developments and shopping areas but no towns. Here's the district map: District Map I hope another poster can chime in to help. Parkland has bits of West Allentown, Orefield and some of Lower Macungie and some of North Whitehall, I think but none of those places are really a town like Emmaus or Macungie. The towns of Emmaus and Macungie are in East Penn school district.

I am not real familiar with developments in East Penn or Parkland. My husband works in Bucks county so after deciding we didn't want East Penn, because the HS was so big, we just focused on Southern Lehigh. Parkland was never on our radar at all. Here's a google view map of the East Penn school district where you can see the developments pretty clearly: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/em...Y.kHjuFjg24GMQ

Frankly, I think you should look at Southern Lehigh. We have lots of big houses, great location, newer schools and taxes haven't gone up in three years. Southern Lehigh School District With a smaller district, it's easy for the kids to jump in and not feel lost.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-30-2016 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:09 PM

169 posts, read 334,203 times
Is it a bad thing to live in a town vs an area of developments ? What if we found our dream home in ore field or north Whitehall ? Would it be awful to drive to Emma's or macungie for our shopping needs ? How far would that be ? Also what about the Saucon Valley shopping ? Is that far ?
Thanks

Old 02-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
Is it a bad thing to live in a town vs an area of developments ? What if we found our dream home in ore field or north Whitehall ? Would it be awful to drive to Emmaus or Macungie for our shopping needs ? How far would that be ? Also what about the Saucon Valley shopping ? Is that far ?
Thanks
I'm speaking from my personal experience and preference only. We moved a lot before we came up here. When our kids were young we intentionally sought out areas with developments with swing sets and new houses, thinking that we would have instant friends for our kids. Our priorities were good schools, easy commute for my husband and a nice sized house and lot. That worked pretty well, but it wasn't until we moved up here and made it a priority to live near a small town that I realized why that was really important to me.

I like how our town of Coopersburg has traditions and history and how I can walk to my insurance agent, my bank and my hairdresser. I like how there is a Halloween parade. I like the community food bank where all the town churches contribute and the boy scouts fill in the fall with their own food drive. There's also a community day at the local park every fall. And the local park has a pool, where as a young parent I loved hanging out and socializing with other parents. I like knowing so many people that when you go in the Diner or the grocery store, you will always see someone you know. We didn't have that the last place we lived, Garnet Valley. It was an area much like Orefield. Excellent schools, great housing but except for the year round farmers market, a pretty soul-less area.

We've lived in areas where shopping was more convenient and while that was handy, I've found that there is really nothing that I can't get from where I live and anyway, there's always Amazon prime!

To answer your question, it's not about how close shopping is, it's what you really want for your home.

If you live in Orefield or North Whitehall, you won't be shopping in Emmaus or Macungie, I don't think. You'll be closer to the strip malls in Allentown and Lehigh Valley Mall.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM

thank you that was so helpful! we are in the space where you were earlier...ok to traveling 10-15 min for shopping as long we can get our home and schools in.

but i can appreciate what you are saying. the perspective helps

Old 02-03-2016, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
we may be moving for the same reason this summer and in my research and speaking with other lehigh valley hospital families, orefield seems to be very popular amongst the physicians with families. (due to schools, safety, and proximity to hospital)

Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM

Well, there a lot of Physicians, nurses and hospital staff at LV. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the biggest employer. I know several people, including three Anesthesiologists, that live in Southern Lehigh. Have either of you been to Orefield?

Realtors, See This.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 AM

nope have not been to orefield or to allentown in general. Just looking at the general area and housing available and making guesses as to where we would like to tour more when we come in...

southern lehigh sounds great too, will be on our list.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
nope have not been to orefield or to allentown in general. Just looking at the general area and housing available and making guesses as to where we would like to tour more when we come in...

southern lehigh sounds great too, will be on our list.
That sort of explains something. As you can see in this Wikipedia entry, for some of us, Orefield isn't really a place, it's an area that you drive through to get somewhere. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orefield,_Pennsylvania I think many people kinda refer to that area as living North of Allentown, or near Schnecksville. Schnecksville itself isn't really a traditional town with a main street, etc. but because Lehigh Carbon Community College (LCCC) is there, Trexler Nature Preserve and Shankweilers drive-in is there, most people know where that is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnec...,_Pennsylvania

If you do come down my way, check out the area on the map first. Southern Lehigh consists of two townships (Upper Saucon and Lower Milford) and the borough of Coopersburg. Center Valley is more the typical suburb (lots of houses, no main street) and is located within Upper Saucon township. It's where The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley :: 2845 Center Valley Parkway Center Valley, PA 18034 are located and four of the six schools in the district. The majority of the people in our district live in Upper Saucon township. The town of Coopersburg is the place I referred to in an earlier post, as our town and it's Main street is a block to the West of route 309. Lower Milford township is our rural area and has several developments and farms. The township people are big on preserving the areas rural character.

Realtors, See This.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM

61 posts, read 226,425 times
Quote:
Is it a bad thing to live in a town vs an area of developments ? What if we found our dream home in ore field or north Whitehall ? Would it be awful to drive to Emma's or macungie for our shopping needs ? How far would that be ? Also what about the Saucon Valley shopping ? Is that far ?
Thanks
I'm from Orefield/NWT and we had a lot of doctors who liked to spread out in their acre+ estates. Grocery shopping means like a 10-15 min drive to Tilghman/Cedar Crest/22/309 corridor or Whitehall/LV mall. It is not a big deal, but it is part of living in North Whitehall. Literally the only grocery store is in Schnecksville (the only "town"). The good thing about North Whitehall is people are spread out, big lots, and my parents' hood has a beautiful view of the entire valley. But yeah you'll be driving 15min for groceries (and most everything else).

The neighborhood I live in now is in East Penn and literally 2 min from LVH. My entire neighborhood is LVH doctors/nurses from back in the day (mostly retired now). East Penn has good schools and there are 4BR homes under $300k in my neighborhood right now.

In short,
-if you want more house and more acreage and are willing to drive 15min for everything, then buy in NWT
-if driving 15min to work and shopping truly bothers you (LOL from the NJ commuters!), then buy in Upper/Lower mac or South Whitehall. The lots might be a tad smaller and the prices are a bit more but not THAT much more ($20k difference maybe)
- Southern Lehigh is just 3 short exits from LVH so that is no problem either, but it costs a shade more and the I78/309 exit backs up on the hill and is annoying by the promenade too. It turns what should be a sooo easy commute into an annoying game of sitting on the hill hoping you don't get flattened by tractor trailer.
-Also I like Salisbury for a value play. It surrounds the hospital and the schools are palatable, if not stellar.
-Coopersburg is the only town type atmosphere that I like, and the reason is because Emmaus and Macungie have a loud train going through the middle at night and the homes in the actual town are smallish and older. Also Coopersburg gives you better access to Philly jobs. Not sure if you are married/significant other etc. but that really opens up job options. That is why it's more expensive.

As someone who lived in both North Whitehall and right by LVH, I think being close to everything was worth the extra $25k outlay on our home. It was $1000/year to shorten my commute and well worth it to me and my wife.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:55 PM

61 posts, read 226,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Orefield isn't really a place, it's an area that you drive through to get somewhere.
Hey now...

OK maybe you have a point. But it is still home. We have nice neighborhoods, but they are spread out amongst fields and it's not cohesive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley