Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:24 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times

Advertisements

I'm in NY and looking to make a move to the Vegas area. I'm looking at a listing in Comstock Park in Pahrump. Can someone give me a rundown of the area before I make a trip there? I'm concerned about gangs, Hells Angles, you know riff raff like that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM

932 posts, read 2,346,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I'm in NY and looking to make a move to the Vegas area. I'm looking at a listing in Comstock Park in Pahrump. Can someone give me a rundown of the area before I make a trip there? I'm concerned about gangs, Hells Angles, you know riff raff like that. Thanks.
Most people probably wouldn't consider Pahrump the "Vegas area." You might have better luck posting this on the Nevada forum, rather than Las Vegas. Just a suggestion.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM

207 posts, read 734,042 times
I live in Pahrump, Comstock park is about 2 mins from my house. Its kind of run down, older trailer type homes but no gangs or that kind of stuff. There are MUCH nicer areas in Pahrump that you can get for the same price. We used to even hold our ham radio meetings in the club house there. Its older and mostly retired people.

You wont find any hells angels there either

Where in NY are you coming from.. I moved here from NYC a few years ago and love it out here.. it IS a good distance away from Vegas however.. about an hour drive.

We got our home out here.. on an acre of land, stick built home, nice neighborhood, and it was under 160,000 a few years ago.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinga View Post
I live in Pahrump, Comstock park is about 2 mins from my house. Its kind of run down, older trailer type homes but no gangs or that kind of stuff. There are MUCH nicer areas in Pahrump that you can get for the same price. We used to even hold our ham radio meetings in the club house there. Its older and mostly retired people.

You wont find any hells angels there either
PERFECT! My pop is 100 and I'm a little less than half that. Peace & quiet & safety is the name of the game.

Quote:
Where in NY are you coming from.. I moved here from NYC a few years ago and love it out here.. it IS a good distance away from Vegas however.. about an hour drive.
Sold my house in Queens in 07 (perfect timing, thank you), moved in with my cousin in Oneonta till the dust from the financial/real estate debacle settled and now ready to move on to the Promised Land or at least some place that isn't a frozen tundra in winter.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:01 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
I'm sure you are thinking this, but just for the record, plan on staying in or near an area of interest for a couple of weeks AT LEAST before you do anything. Better still, rent for 6 months in the place you think you like the best. Your money and many available properties will still be there in a few months.
Will you work frm home? Have to commute in to Las Vegas? What amenities do you like nearby? While I cannot promise you no HA's you could possibly die of boredom in Pahrump!
By the way most bikers won't bother anyone that leaves them alone, not like the cowardly punk gangs that are prevelant in so many places.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:17 PM

7 posts, read 22,322 times
Hi Chinga, its Debby Remember me? Moving date is quickly approaching. Found a place to rent at the edge of Comstock park. Modular home built in 2002. After reading your last post her you have me concerned. Is this a bad idea? Looking forward to your response.

Debby

Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 7,298 times
Comstock Park is a rundown [language] full of dumpy trailers, barking dogs, low class people & thumper car stereos 24/7. In other words it is a typical trailer park. We made the MISTAKE of buying a 1993 double wide there for $27,111. Seemed like a good deal until we got there & found out it is one of the newest trailers in the park. Got two 1970s single wides on either side, one neighbor is older, QUIET, keeps to himself, the perfect neighbor. The other looks like a meth head, scrawny, 60ish, barking, crapping dog, blaring T.V., occasional parties, drinking. She is the one closest to us, of course. We just received a $153 electric bill for the month of May, we didn't move here until May 29th so you figure it out. I am thinking miss meth was using our electricity since we had NOTHING on in the house the entire month.

AVOID, the cheap prices are NOT worth it. You are also too far from Vegas to commute cheaply & prices for food are higher. The Walmart is even worse than they normally are, high prices & constant stocking problems.

HATE this place & now stuck, don't make the same mistake we did.

Last edited by observer53; 03-28-2014 at 06:20 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,672 times
I'm sorry you feel like you've made a mistake, but I too was warned about avoiding
Comstock Park.

It seems there should be some part of Nevada responsible for "city decency inspection".
Tell me to whom I should write, and I will. A petition should be started to clean up that town,
as I too am considering moving to Pahrump, and am also trying to find out about it, before I take even my
first trip out there. I like what I see in the various videos.

I've been to Vegas, Boulder and Laughlin. No doubt they're in better condition, because taxes from gaming reach that far. STILL, Comstock Park, or any place "near" there should not ever have turned into a ****hole as you described.

Is Primm subject to the same degradation? I read where the hotels there, in Primm are crappy.
WHY should this be the case? Why doesn't someone start a petition for improvement?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM

390 posts, read 755,247 times
Before moving to Pahrump I would consider St. George, Ut. about 120 north of Vegas. Just visited a friend in a 2 bedroom trailer for over 55 (or 1 over 55 the other could be caretaker if under). Adorable - rent $600 per month which includes cable, water and trash. Nice place, no worry of gangs - pretty safe. Weather about the same as Vegas year round. Many, Many Mormons - only state liquor stores (not sold in grocery stores), but to me better than Pahrump, in my humble opinion!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 AM

4 posts, read 11,432 times
Quote:

Are there any suggestions on what the much nicer areas might be?

thnx

Last edited by observer53; 03-28-2014 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: put quote tags back in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas