Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:03 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times

Advertisements

LV is the foreclosure capital According to this Foreclosures: Las Vegas is home to the worst hit zip codes - Feb. 5, 2008 with more to come.

I've seen some incredible deals on Realtor.com with decent looking condos going for $19k!!! I'm looking to move by the fall. LV wasn't my first choice but with prices this low and crashing it sure is tempting. Now my only concerns are-

Earthquakes: Las Vegas sitting on an explosive sleeping earthquake fault line

And water: Five years of drought force Las Vegas to tear up its grass | Energy Bulletin

Speaking of which - LV is such a poster child for squandering resources. It's just mind boggling that every building isn't required to have rain water harvesting and a solar water heater. It's just insane to use fuel to heat water in that kind of climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:05 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
you do realize that those were condos that went to auction with starting bids of $19k correct?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
the grass should never have been planted in the first place...

Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
you do realize that those were condos that went to auction with starting bids of $19k correct?
Doesn't say that in the listing.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
I know that we're not allowed to say the T word, but why do people who live in other regions of the country continually post topics about how our housing markets are doing here? They're almost bad as door to door preachers. At least the kids on bikes are upbeat!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
I think the OP is actually interested in moving to Las Vegas because there are good deals out there. I'm sure that will attract some peope simply because they can stretch their dollar further. Finding a job that they might want and what they would like to get paid is another thing.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
LV is the foreclosure capital According to this Foreclosures: Las Vegas is home to the worst hit zip codes - Feb. 5, 2008 with more to come.

I've seen some incredible deals on Realtor.com with decent looking condos going for $19k!!! I'm looking to move by the fall. LV wasn't my first choice but with prices this low and crashing it sure is tempting. Now my only concerns are-

Earthquakes: Las Vegas sitting on an explosive sleeping earthquake fault line

And water: Five years of drought force Las Vegas to tear up its grass | Energy Bulletin

Speaking of which - LV is such a poster child for squandering resources. It's just mind boggling that every building isn't required to have rain water harvesting and a solar water heater. It's just insane to use fuel to heat water in that kind of climate.

Opinions are cheap. Facts are relatively rare.

It is remotely possible that Las Vegas may some day have an earthquake of size. It is however pretty unlikely. The valley geology is unsuited to major quakes and there have been none of size in recorded history. We could get hit by a meteorite too I suppose.

Las Vegas has sufficient water for 2.5 million or so. With the pipeline to the north it will likely get to 3 million.

Note that the entire SW is desert and lacks natural rainfall to support a "green" environment. Los Angeles is quite as artificial as Las Vegas.

I think this is all getting sorted out reasonably well as the years go on. Vegas is of course upstream. Always the place to be as the water runs low.

One does not collect water in Las Vegas because there is so little. We have catchments that hold large quantitiles. But we use them as soccer fields. Because they fill up only every fifth or seventh year. It does not rain here.

Hot water heaters here may make sense. But not with very good margins. As you may or may not be aware pool heating is easy but water heating is more complex.

But that is of course an energy and not a water issue.

How about a couple of substantial arguments...

Is the Law of the River bankrupt?

Should people live in hostile northern climates?

Will Nevada be the US center of the solar power industry? (Has to be us or AZ or both)

Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM

269 posts, read 976,637 times
You do know the article you quote there is from February 2008, don't you? Do some research on the "19K" condos. Many are "Condotels" which no one in their right mind is touching right now. Some are mired in litigation from condo conversions that they will never recover from. One of those 19K condo places has an HOA fee of about $450 a month.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I've seen some incredible deals on Realtor.com with decent looking condos going for $19k!!!
I found quite a few amazing prices, too, but the Realtor I consulted with at the time told me they are not entirely true. Whoever listed such properties was just "fishing for leads". If I was in the biz, I'd (fill in the blank) these dishonest agents

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I know that we're not allowed to say the T word, but why do people who live in other regions of the country continually post topics about how our housing markets are doing here? They're almost bad as door to door preachers. At least the kids on bikes are upbeat!
I know we're not allowed to use the J word but what part of "looking to move by the fall" don't you understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas