Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 PM

37 posts, read 69,034 times

Advertisements

We have to move from Dallas area because of job. One of our options is Las Vegas. Thinking of moving into Centennial Hills. I have a 1st grader and a 2 year old. How are public schools in this area? Is it a good place to raise children? I myself am a little scared because when I hear Las Vegas in my mind comes the strip. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,863 times
Don't worry, Centenial Hills is a fine place to raise kids. People who live there on this forum can vouch for that. The strip is miles away and you will feel like your back in Dallas except a few degrees hotter and no humidity. I hope your job works out for you since there are so many people looking for work, consider yourself lucky.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,948 times
My son has been attending school in the Centennial Hills area since kindergarten. He is now in 3rd grade. With the small exception of his 2nd grade teacher's attitude I couldn't be happier. Very family friendly area, the schools in this area are very comparable to the best in the valley, the new YMCA/CH Library complex is absolutely fantastic, and there are literally 6 decent sized parks within a 10 minute drive (most are within a couple of minutes). My family has lived in this area for over 5 years and we have had zero issues with it, we all love it.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 PM

101 posts, read 314,643 times
Congratulations on getting out of Dallas. I escaped myself. You are indeed one of the lucky ones.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM

42 posts, read 128,457 times
Your question about Centennial Hills...no problem. Fine neighborhhood. Tourists get confused that the Strip is all over Las Vegas. Around Las Vegas looks like Phoenix or Southern California. The Strip is the Strip. Your question about schools...they're really the same as they are under the same direction of the same school district Clark County School District and it's ranked near the bottom. Everyone here knows it and if anyone's in denial then they need a reality check. I don't care if it's in Green Valley or Summerlin. It's all the same school district. The main problem is all the teachers are some of the lowest paid anywhere so it doesn't attract the wisest, most experienced teachers. It attracts the newbies. One note of difference between Dallas and Las Vegas in jobs...Las Vegas is primarily a blue collar town with one main industry controlling it that is food/beverage/gaming/hospitality while Dallas is one of the best areas in my opinion for diversity in its industries and high paying white collar jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas