Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 PM

8 posts, read 21,751 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are moving to Vegas this summer. My question is how long is the commute from Henderson to Summerlin in rush hour? Is it possible to live in Henderson and work in Summerlin w/o an hour long commute?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:33 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
It's suicide. It is always advised to find work first.....and then and only then find your home.

Then with the price of gas, why make a commute like that for yourself?

I must say though the whole new stretch of the widened 95 helps considerably. Summerlin PKWY has become a nightmare though. Choose your poison.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider2008 View Post
Hello
We are moving to Vegas this summer. My question is how long is the commute from Henderson to Summerlin in rush hour? Is it possible to live in Henderson and work in Summerlin w/o an hour long commute?
Thanks!
It would be a hard commute. Given that good Henderson and Summerlin are quite interchangable I would try to avoid it.

There are effectively two intersections that one should try to avoid in the rush hour. The worst is the spaghetti bowl...the intersection of 95 and 15. The other is 215 and 15 at the south end of the strip. From Henderson to Summerlin the best route hits both..and either secondary route hits one.

In general though it will run less than an hour. In fact half an hour when it works well. But the 95% number is probably an hour and a half.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
If you are going to work in Summerlin, given Summerlin is a little better place to live, then why not live in Summerlin too? It's cooler and a little nicer.

That said, my daughter lives near Aliante and works in Henderson. Most Las Vegans don't care how long the drive is as we're used to wide open spaces and vast areas to drive around in for recreation. Also most of the recent population came from southern California where anything under a two hour commute is a good deal to them.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 21,751 times
Thanks

I should know next week if I will take the job in Summerlin or if I might have a job in the Green Valley area.
I noticed that job in GV area is right off 215. Even if you live in Southern Summerlin and right off 215 is it still a nightmare? My main concern is finding a good deal on a home in good area AND a good daycare which I can't seem to any near GV????? UGH!
Oh, and I am from Dallas so I am used to commutes but would like to keep it around 30 or under and of course w/ gas prices....

If anybody has drove 215 from Summerlin (southern tip?) to GV let me know what the commute was (is) like!

OR if anybody knows of great daycares in GV for infants please let me know as that may help me just move to the GV area and not mess w/ the commute!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:04 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,040 times
Try Craigslist, They have quite a few in the Henderson area.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,849,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider2008 View Post
Thanks

I should know next week if I will take the job in Summerlin or if I might have a job in the Green Valley area.
I noticed that job in GV area is right off 215. Even if you live in Southern Summerlin and right off 215 is it still a nightmare? My main concern is finding a good deal on a home in good area AND a good daycare which I can't seem to any near GV????? UGH!
Oh, and I am from Dallas so I am used to commutes but would like to keep it around 30 or under and of course w/ gas prices....

If anybody has drove 215 from Summerlin (southern tip?) to GV let me know what the commute was (is) like!

OR if anybody knows of great daycares in GV for infants please let me know as that may help me just move to the GV area and not mess w/ the commute!
Shouldn't take you more than 30-40 minutes. I drive from 215 north at Durango to Warm Springs and 215 daily, which is basically all the way around, and even in the "heaviest" traffic it only takes me 45-60 minutes. Here is a short list of daycare centers in the Henderson/Green Valley area for you to peruse if you do decide you don't want to commute.

Henderson daycare

For some reason the top of the page says Plainfield, NJ when you click the link but when you scroll down you will see that it is, in fact, Henderson, NV.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,040 times
For a baby I would suggest going to a daycare that is run out of the home. You child will have better attention given to them then in a large daycare, and less sickness going around.

I had to put my daughter in a sitter at 6 weeks old, and I was so scared, but I had been over to the sitters home on several occasions, and talked with the other Mothers. It was the best decision I ever made. She seemed to learn things a lot faster too, because she was around kids from 1 years to 4 years, not just babies.

My sitter is licensed and gets inspections regularly. Her sister also does it too, but she is not licensed, but Is insured, and I fully trust her also.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM

111 posts, read 429,699 times
For Childcare, call the Clark County Childcare Assoc 702-734-0504 for free referrrals, for Licensed In home childcares. They can also refer you to all the other Licensing entities for childcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: