Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,407,509 times

Advertisements

Okey, dokey. If you want to live in Henderson that's OK, but here is something you don't seem to know. Las Vegas is one large (and I mean large) Metropolitan area made up of the three cities and several unincorporated areas that we just refer to as The County (although the county itself is actually almost the size of either Vermont or New Hampshire). But we still refer to the part in the metro area as the county.

Really Las Vegas is one big city and there is no good reason to have the other governmental entities of Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and the county commission running things, but all attempts in the past to consolidate have failed, except for the Clark County Sheriff's Dept., and the Las Vegas Police Dept. They combined into a police force in about 1970, and called it the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Henderson, which at the time had only 17,000 people, and North Las Vegas which wasn't much bigger and both were mostly trailer parks, didn't want to go along much to their regret later on.

Why do I bring all that up? The heading of your post says you want to settle in or "Near" Las Vegas. I'm just saying there is no "near" Las Vegas. Wherever you live in this town you will be in Las Vegas.

So, with that in mind, the best option is to rent for a while until you get to know the town and decide what part you like best. Henderson is as good an option as any. I personally like Summerlin best, but also, Peccole Ranch, and Centennial Hills.

Henderson has more traffic congestion because of the way it is designed, but it's no big deal. It is also hotter in the summer, and colder in winter, and gets more rain, but you'd never realize it unless you studied the weather graphs. Las Vegas averages 4.2 inches of rain a year. So Henderson gets slightly more (gotta keep the average up) but you probably wouldn't notice. It gets about 5º hotter in summer and unless you're a sidewinder (rattlesnake or rocket) you wouldn't realize that either. The whole town seldom goes below freezing on a few nights a year. Not enough to worry about.

Summerlin is slightly cooler and gets slightly less rain. And, for Jukesgirl, no Summerlin doesn't have more retirees. It does have Sun City, but so does Henderson, and North Las Vegas. Summerlin is overall, a younger crowd. It is after all, a pretty big community covering a large area.

Hope some of this helps.

PS: Forget about walking. Al large American cities in the western states are too spread out to allow for much walking to stores, restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:50 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,047,321 times
Before you worry about a HOA prohibiting any business activity, make sure you meet the municipality's code and operate with all required licenses:

http://www.cityofhenderson.com/docs/...t.pdf?sfvrsn=2

How long you "fly under the radar" of your neighbors (HOA), HOA officers, and local tax and license entities is unknown. Is concealing residential business activity worth the risk? I don't know.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:11 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,038,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
hoa's will prohibit you from conducting a business from your home... you need something that does not have a housing association....
No HOA will prohibit online selling.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,399,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
No HOA will prohibit online selling.
Depends on the size of the business. There are HOAs that ban operating a business in your home. Practically there is no way to prevent some on line selling. But one can prevent access by delivery trucks and such or fine the owner for over access. One can also prevent the possession of a business license against an HOA address. There are obvious ways around this however.

So you can engage in a war with an HOA or end up in one without the need.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:07 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,156,265 times
The post office does not want "business deliveries" to residential homes. I believe it may have been a licensing thing as well. My wife was doing online sales for a while.

just got herself a PO Box.

Never know only takes one busy body to cause trouble.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,778,596 times
^^ That's why I never used the post office for deliveries to my house. UPS mostly.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:18 PM

57 posts, read 112,502 times
Hello,

We are also from Europe and used to have a 2nd home in Henderson. We loved it!!! The Green Valley area is really nice and well kept. Concerning crime we never had any problems in our 6 years in Henderson.

The people are very friendly all over Las Vegas. You might want to look at other neighborhoods as well since the Las Vegas metro area has plenty of them which are nice.

We now have our 2nd home in Summerlin and love it too!!!

Good luck to you!

Daniel

Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,045,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I currently live in Tucson and I work out of my home and live in a fairly strict HOA. The key is I don't have any signs on my house, I don't make excessive noise, and I don't have clients/customers coming and going. The FedEx truck comes almost every day, but they do a lot of pick ups/deliveries here. I get my snail mail at a post office box. How would the HOA even know I was running a business? I know there are quite a few others here besides myself. Some of them even show a business name on Google maps.

."
One lousy neighbor destroys your business... period

Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 PM

243 posts, read 238,941 times
Also consider that most garages in Las Vegas homes are not insulated, have a thin metal garage door and get super hot in the summer.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,905,314 times
My garage walls are very well insulated. My garage doors are insulated. I have a great ceiling fan.

And it is air conditioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas