Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM

84 posts, read 93,156 times

Advertisements

Keep it in your garage if you have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 02:55 PM

85 posts, read 63,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
You are making payments on a 13 year old Nissan? Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Needed credit. It worked. I have 2 other cars I paid cash for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Those key transponders can be circumvented ...they provide a false sense of security...They are better than nothing but unfortunately if they want it bad enough...they will figure out a way !

It is ridiculously easy to steal a car. It's even easier to to break into them. Don't leave anything valuable in them. Those chips are a joke. All the security measures can be overcome by anyone with internet access.
This is why I have older cars people don't even want.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:59 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,424,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
Needed credit. It worked. I have 2 other cars I paid cash for.
Is one of them a BMW?

Old 04-05-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Is one of them a BMW?
No. I loathe Bmw. I'm a Nissan and Toyota guy.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,729,870 times
I have a Toyota Tacoma myself and I think someone tried to steal it twice but they gave up on it since I do not think they can drive a manual shift. The second time I had "the club" installed and they tried to drive it but only made it down the block and couldn't turn. Ruined the ignition so I ended up installing an aftermarket one that wont start unless you flip the hidden switch to the fuel pump relay.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 PM

8,431 posts, read 4,605,178 times
I have a Nissan truck disguised as a Suzuki. Unless someone knew better, why would anyone steal a Suzuki anything (other then a bike).

Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,564,333 times
From what I've hesrd, no easily. The method I've heard requires replacing the ECU. Auto theft is way down nationally becauseof these type of systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Those key transponders can be circumvented ...they provide a false sense of security...They are better than nothing but unfortunately if they want it bad enough...they will figure out a way !

Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 PM

670 posts, read 1,107,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
From what I've hesrd, no easily. The method I've heard requires replacing the ECU. Auto theft is way down nationally becauseof these type of systems.

^^^ This.

I work extensively with automotive electronics. Thanks to can bus technology you're not going to defeat a modern (last 10+ year) anti-theft device even with "access to the internet". Modern anti-theft devices are extremely sophisticated.

Auto theft nationally is way down the past 20+ years thanks to modern anti-theft devices and much improved enforcement techniques (plate scanners, better dispatch/officer communication, etc).

Also, there was a huge nationwide crackdown years ago to prevent body shops from using stolen parts and prevent simple VIN switching. Today, every panel on a car has the VIN number and a bar code attached to the panel to dissuade the use of stolen parts in the repair of damaged vehicles. Also, if there is any hint that a VIN has been swapped the VIN is now in so many places on a modern car (body panels, etched into the glass, etc) that it's easy to determine if the car is stolen right on the side of the road.

Nationwide databases like NCIC have also slowed vehicle theft way, way down. It's no longer as easy as simply bringing the car to another city or state.

The peak for auto theft nationwide was the early 90's:

https://www.nicb.org/newsroom/news-r...ft-in-the-u-s-

Does auto theft still happen? Of course it does. These days it's generally older cars (10+ years or older), crimes of opportunity, or someone stole your keys. Also, the majority of major auto theft these days occurs in port cities as cars are being stolen, immediately put into containers, then shipped overseas. When not a crime of opportunity the majority of these cars (especially if they are modern cars) are simply taken away with a flatbed tow truck.

Due to port proximity California has 9 of the top 10 cities for auto theft in the US the past few years. Seattle WA was the only other city on the list.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Car Thieves Use Handheld Electronics to Steal Keyless Cars - IEEE Spectrum

Apparently, some BMWs have the valet key in the toolkit in the trunk which means if you get inside the car, you can easily steal it.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:57 AM

269 posts, read 237,982 times
This is my business. Older cars are the ones generally stolen due to old non pass key ignition systems. if you have one of these cars, get Lo Jack or GPS immediatley.

That said Metro PD needs a well funded auto theft taskforce like all of CA has. they use bait cars, informants, surveillance, etc. In CA counties add $1-$2 on all vehicle registrations to fully fund these taskforces, it works and insurance rates are in chaek.

My observations is folks in Nevada are so against ANY taxes, they at times are short sighted. this is the case here. Metro PD is way underfunded to deal with the ever increasing population and tourist crime. Law makers do not vote in new taxes as loud voices roar from some of the public.

My response, then just suffer with the crime rate. Metro even eliminated the gang unit. So do not blame Metro, get smart and add a minor tax or fee here and there to make life better.

I suggested adding a 50 cent per room night fee so it goes directly to metro. So no tax on locals but touists pay for added protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: