Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:18 PM

529 posts, read 512,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
On ft. Apache Twain to about Tropicana it seems a few have set up house. What an eyesore! Tents, tons of trash.
I noticed that. They slept in a vacant lot closer to Tropicana. They moved to the trail across from Peace Way and now are on sidewalks. People are giving them money at the signals at Ft. Apache and Trop/Flamingo so it encourages them to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 02:28 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,121,775 times
There are hundreds of these camps around town. Sometimes they are hard to spot. Sometimes they are less obvious.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:54 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,953,163 times
If you were wondering what's going on with the Vegas homeless situation is you will want to check out the article below.

Click link below to view:

https://shar.es/1YmXM0

The number of homeless people living on the streets in Clark County and in emergency shelters jumped to 7,509 this year, up from 7,443 in 2014.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:43 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and as usual ignored the beggars on Fremont Street. The only thing I have ever given in the past was some ribs we had boxed up in Ellis Island. My wife couldn't eat them all, so we decided to give them to a guy we had seen begging on one of the bridges over LVB.

This visit I was on my own staying at the Plaza. I woke up real early one morning, and went for a walk on Fremont Street. I was stood on the steps outside the Fremont opposite the D. I was chatting to a security guard while we watched the guys riding a small vehicle cleaning the floor.

An old lady shuffled by us, and walked on a few yards. She looked like she was waiting for the vehicle cleaning the floor to finish, so she could walk on. I had never seen her before, and couldn't take my eyes off her. She was very old, had pyjama pants on, and a blanket pulled round her shoulders. She was a pathetic sight.

It was obvious she had slept somewhere nearby. Something about her made me feel real pity towards her. I started to walk away, but I felt I just had to try to help her. I walked back, and touched her shoulder. As she turned round, I gave her a $20 note, and said, "get yourself something to eat sweetheart." I walked away quickly as she thanked me.

This is not something I intend making a habit of, but this woman brought out some compassion from my hardened soul.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:22 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
I noticed that. They slept in a vacant lot closer to Tropicana. They moved to the trail across from Peace Way and now are on sidewalks. People are giving them money at the signals at Ft. Apache and Trop/Flamingo so it encourages them to stay.

I was walking my dog around Desert Breeze Park- several homeless people are living there. Even in the desert across the street there is two tents. I wish people would stop giving them handouts.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
If you were wondering what's going on with the Vegas homeless situation is you will want to check out the article below.

Click link below to view:

https://shar.es/1YmXM0

The number of homeless people living on the streets in Clark County and in emergency shelters jumped to 7,509 this year, up from 7,443 in 2014.
And these numbers don't include the drainage tunnel dwellers and there are thousands of them.
Read Beneath the Neon: Life and Death in the Tunnels of Las Vegas
Edited for correct book title

Last edited by NYtoVT; 03-14-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 07:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
And these numbers don't include the drainage tunnel dwellers and there are thousands of them.
Read Under the Neon: Life and Death in Las Vegas
I doubt they get to a hundred. And if they ever got near a thousand the authorities would clean it out.

Every few years those tunnels get used... and you would not want to be in there.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 AM

23,226 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

Some people find they can make a better living begging than working. And I think it is true. Some of the regulars are there every day...and don't appear to be intoxicated with anything.

We should make that difficult to impossible. It is simply bad for the town and unless controlled it will sprawl out of control.
If you really want to help the homeless then remove some of barriers placed in front of them in seeking employment. A neighbor of mine "fell of the ladder" during the last recession, and can't seem to climb back up to the first ring of the ladder. What's holding him back from his wanting to work a minimum wage security guard job? 2 outstanding traffic warrants from 2007, which have now ballooned to $2000.

One of my compassionate neighbors has been allowing him to camp out in his garage, he has a bicycle, he's 61, and will be taking early retirement in August. He's on Medicaid now, and survives on $194 a month in food stamps, and a little panhandling, and certainly no drug addict/alcoholic.

I was homeless back in the early 70's, in Denver, for a couple months, and it was cake walk to go from a homeless shelter to full-time employment back then, working as a lowly CNA at a nursing home. No hoops to jump through back then, like today. No month long CNA course to take, no CPR necessary ($40-$50), no background checks, no fingerprinting, no drug test, I merely started work, worked along someone for a week, and voila! Employed, no more homelessness!

Everytime I see a homeless person I'm looking at $42,500 coming out of taxpayer's wallets, that's the national average for having a homeless person on our streets today. Comparable to incarceration in a prison @ $40-50k a year.

Why so much? Think! One or 2 trips to the Emergency Room, potential Rehab/hospitalization, prescription drugs, it all adds up very quickly! I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and we're always getting some homeless people coming into the facility for some kind of rehab @ $4-5-6k a month. Doesn't that make you taxpayers happy?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Doesn't that make you taxpayers happy?
Most of them just want the smug satisfaction of indignant ideological purity. They don't actually care about what's best for their neighborhood, or even their annual property tax bill. They just want to know that the "lower classes" are miserable. Because that makes them feel better by default.

If people were pragmatic, we'd have Housing First and job transitioning programs in place -- just like many of our neighboring states do.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you really want to help the homeless then remove some of barriers placed in front of them in seeking employment. A neighbor of mine "fell of the ladder" during the last recession, and can't seem to climb back up to the first ring of the ladder. What's holding him back from his wanting to work a minimum wage security guard job? 2 outstanding traffic warrants from 2007, which have now ballooned to $2000.

One of my compassionate neighbors has been allowing him to camp out in his garage, he has a bicycle, he's 61, and will be taking early retirement in August. He's on Medicaid now, and survives on $194 a month in food stamps, and a little panhandling, and certainly no drug addict/alcoholic.

I was homeless back in the early 70's, in Denver, for a couple months, and it was cake walk to go from a homeless shelter to full-time employment back then, working as a lowly CNA at a nursing home. No hoops to jump through back then, like today. No month long CNA course to take, no CPR necessary ($40-$50), no background checks, no fingerprinting, no drug test, I merely started work, worked along someone for a week, and voila! Employed, no more homelessness!

Everytime I see a homeless person I'm looking at $42,500 coming out of taxpayer's wallets, that's the national average for having a homeless person on our streets today. Comparable to incarceration in a prison @ $40-50k a year.

Why so much? Think! One or 2 trips to the Emergency Room, potential Rehab/hospitalization, prescription drugs, it all adds up very quickly! I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and we're always getting some homeless people coming into the facility for some kind of rehab @ $4-5-6k a month. Doesn't that make you taxpayers happy?
Don't forget the one in three that have a documented mental illness. Metro picks them up on a legal 2000. They go to the ER, and then to Mountain Vista or whoever is the recipient at the cost of thousands. They are stabilized and given the correct meds and then delivered right back to the homeless shelter.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

God Forbid we pony up the money for some housing and some social worker to show up once a week. That would only save us thousands a year and help Metro NOT be our default psychiatric service evaluation team. God knows that's why those cops went into law enforcement. They definitely entered the academy because they wanted to be social workers. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: