Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 8,950 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

Thought i'd share my impressions of the city in my short time of being here. Currently i'm in south 89123 and this part of town seems to be nice.

Initially i was looking online for apartment complexes and saw some great deals. I've only visited here last march and haven't explored much. Little did I know that those complexes weren't in the best places, in busy areas (not what i was looking for) and were just simply not welcoming.

Summerlin - Nice part of town. I looked here for rents but found that the area of summerlin was just a bit too far from what i'm doing.

Continental hills - I didn't even check it out all the way up there simply because it's way too far from where i need to be. Probably going to explore the area after i post this simply because i'm curious.

Central - Don't like it, there are many reasons. The culture is way different than what i'm used to and it would take some time. Also, when viewing some apartments they didn't seem to very welcoming.

North - Don't really like North vegas either. I have limited time being up there but it seemed to be a little run down from what i've seen. I hope nobody gets offended but it's just not my cup of tea and maybe my views will change. Keep in mind i only have limited driving time up there.

North east - Far north east seems to be okay. Too far from where i need to be, didn't check it out much. Saw some nice areas.

South west blue diamond area- I really like it, i like how everything is new and updated.

South to the right of 215 where i am - Seems to be a little busier than the western side of 15 but still keeps the newer feel.

Lots of things Southwest CT has that I don't think LV will ever have such as suburbs with decent space between the houses. People in CT also seem to be a bit more friendly and welcoming. Schools there are also top notch. Very nice neighborhoods and areas with quick access to NYC.

There are also a lot of things Vegas has that CT will never have. Also, the roads and traffic is much better here in vegas that it will ever be in CT. 2-4 lanes on normal roads around here really helps. There aren't gaping pot holes around here to bust up your car. All the cars here look like they were garaged their whole life. I look like an idiot with rust under my car around here. Everyone's paint is nice bla bla bla.

Thanks for reading thought it would be nice to give you guys a quick comparison. Please keep anything negative out of this thread. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,815,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sandor View Post
Hello all.

Thought i'd share my impressions of the city in my short time of being here. Currently i'm in south 89123 and this part of town seems to be nice.

Initially i was looking online for apartment complexes and saw some great deals. I've only visited here last march and haven't explored much. Little did I know that those complexes weren't in the best places, in busy areas (not what i was looking for) and were just simply not welcoming.

Summerlin - Nice part of town. I looked here for rents but found that the area of summerlin was just a bit too far from what i'm doing.

Continental hills - I didn't even check it out all the way up there simply because it's way too far from where i need to be. Probably going to explore the area after i post this simply because i'm curious.

Central - Don't like it, there are many reasons. The culture is way different than what i'm used to and it would take some time. Also, when viewing some apartments they didn't seem to very welcoming.

North - Don't really like North vegas either. I have limited time being up there but it seemed to be a little run down from what i've seen. I hope nobody gets offended but it's just not my cup of tea and maybe my views will change. Keep in mind i only have limited driving time up there.

North east - Far north east seems to be okay. Too far from where i need to be, didn't check it out much. Saw some nice areas.

South west blue diamond area- I really like it, i like how everything is new and updated.

South to the right of 215 where i am - Seems to be a little busier than the western side of 15 but still keeps the newer feel.

Lots of things Southwest CT has that I don't think LV will ever have such as suburbs with decent space between the houses. People in CT also seem to be a bit more friendly and welcoming. Schools there are also top notch. Very nice neighborhoods and areas with quick access to NYC.

There are also a lot of things Vegas has that CT will never have. Also, the roads and traffic is much better here in vegas that it will ever be in CT. 2-4 lanes on normal roads around here really helps. There aren't gaping pot holes around here to bust up your car. All the cars here look like they were garaged their whole life. I look like an idiot with rust under my car around here. Everyone's paint is nice bla bla bla.

Thanks for reading thought it would be nice to give you guys a quick comparison. Please keep anything negative out of this thread. Thanks!
If you wish to pay Connecticut prices for a house I will find you one with as much land as you like. There are well known areas of Las Vegas with half acre and up zoning. And 2 or 5 acres is not all that much. If you pick the right place you will find schools quite competitive with the CT public schools.

I have a daughter in the other end of CT and am quite familiar with it.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:03 PM

52 posts, read 77,552 times
Thank you, I am also looking at moving to the 89123 zip code mid year and its good to hear that someone else made the move and is loving it.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,968,469 times
Right now CT is looking at a noreaster snow storm. Just remember that when it gets HOT. There's really no use making comparisons because every place is different and has its own identity. Vegas is a true 24 hour town and there's no place like it.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If you wish to pay Connecticut prices for a house I will find you one with as much land as you like. There are well known areas of Las Vegas with half acre and up zoning. And 2 or 5 acres is not all that much. If you pick the right place you will find schools quite competitive with the CT public schools.

I have a daughter in the other end of CT and am quite familiar with it.
Ah cool, In the sticks huh!

Also, about the housing. I'm from fairfield county so a 1br apartment ranges from $1000-1800 a month. Renting a "decent" house is around $3,000-$4,000. It's quite unrealistic but people do it. The place is a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijoro View Post
Thank you, I am also looking at moving to the 89123 zip code mid year and its good to hear that someone else made the move and is loving it.
Where are you moving from? Also if you're looking for an apartment or something, chances are i've viewed it. Or if you need anyone to look at something for you I'd be willing to look and take pics, etc.

Also. My girlfriend and I will be going to school aswell. My GF will be going to UNLV to complete her 4 year. Meanwhile, I hope to help her find a part time job in customer service and such. The i realize unemployment is high down here but have high hopes.

Last edited by d.sandor; 01-01-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 11:37 PM

Additionally i'm hoping to meet new people. My girlfriend and I are 21 and looking for locals so we aren't forever alone! Ha!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:32 AM

52 posts, read 77,552 times
I am making the move over from Australia! As you can imagine I have pretty much been living on these forums and checking Trulia, HotPads and Walkscore to get an idea of the different areas in which I want to live. I am really liking the Park Ave condos on Agate street and have even considered the Sedona apartments next door as for the price of a 2 bed at Park Ave or Manhattan Condos you can get a 3 bed at Sedona... I am a bit concerned though as to why you would be able to and wonder if the Sedona apartments are a bit dodgy.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Let's compare:

Clark County School District | Nevada | Best High Schools | US News

Search Connecticut High Schools | US News

Anyone who can say with a straight face that there is any kind of parity between Connecticut schools and Clark County schools is almost certainly selling something.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:58 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,815,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Let's compare:

Clark County School District | Nevada | Best High Schools | US News

Search Connecticut High Schools | US News

Anyone who can say with a straight face that there is any kind of parity between Connecticut schools and Clark County schools is almost certainly selling something.
Try urban districts with average income of 50K and below. Let me know how you make out.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 AM

555 posts, read 776,173 times
homeowners in CT make more money than homeowners in Vegas..... you need to make more money to buy a house in CT..... Usually if you are making more money you have some post high school education under your belt.... Perhaps people with more education are a bit more friendly and social.... maybe that explains why people in Vegas are not as friendly. Just a theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas