Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 13,377 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving from Pennsylvania to Green Valley/Henderson area in mid October. As much as we are going to miss our family/friends, we need a drastic change. I wanted to see if anyone could give me feedback about this area. Safe? employment opportunities? any particular condo/apt complexes that you you recommend? pros/cons of this area? We are in the midst of applying all throughout and around Las Vegas. We have never used a recruiter before, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Is there any you could recommend out there? Also, we really like Green Valley Country Club Apartments. From the pictures on the website, it seems beautiful and the rent is reasonable. Have you or anyone you know stayed/visited this place. Any feedback is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Henderson named among nation's top 100 small cities - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM

402 posts, read 745,709 times
If I can piggyback on top of this request since I'm in a similar boat. I'd like info on that property too if anyone has anything to share.

Also OP, here is a link to Laramar Group, who have a Henderson property plus 2 in Summerlin if you want to research them a little as well as search for feedback. Laramar Apartments - Come Home With Confidence

Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
As a place to live, it's fine. I'd prefer Green Valley Ranch (south of the highway.). Employment wise, Most of the Las Vegas Valley is open to you.

However, keep in mind that Vegas metro is not exactly a hotbed of job growth at the moment. Coming up with a jib that would support a normal suburban lifestyle (or any job for that matter), could ce difficult.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,506 times
Thumbs up We love Henderson (especially Green Valley Ranch) ... hope you will too!

The vast majority of people we have met here have been warm and welcoming. We read somewhere recently that approximately 60,000 people move to Las Vegas Valley annually; most people here are new or semi-new to the area (only being here for a few years). There is a huge military population here due to Nellis Air Force base, the Nevada National Security Site and other government installations. So in all, most people know what it is like to move here and they do their best to help you and be friendly.

Henderson is huge! It is diverse in many ways - the people, things to do, places to live, etc. We highly recommend it. Here are a few tips (an overview of the area in general):

1) Property Management - go through a property management company for several reasons. We recommend Nicklin Property Management. With this area being one of the highest (if not the highest) foreclosure areas in the nation there have numerous reports of housing scams so it is best to go through a reputable company. Plus, most Henderson neighborhoods are gated so you will need someone with you to access a lot of the properties (even apartments). Additionally, with the amount of people moving in annually competition for housing is very high. Websites like Zillow are quickly outdated and of no use since the market moves so fast. If possible we recommend coming out for a house-hunting trip first (before packing the moving truck). It can take a little bit of time to find what you are looking for and when you arrive be sure to have your research already done and know what you want. With the competition as fierce as it is you will need to act quickly when you find the place you desire.

2) North Las Vegas - has fallen on serious hard economic times, so much so their city has filed for bankruptcy. With this being said, I would be very cautious about this area – especially if you are considering buying a home. We have heard that the crime rate is higher too. It was not recommended in the forums we read online.

3) Las Vegas - we have heard mixed reviews about this, people either like it or hate it ... I think it all depends on where you live and/or work. I don't know much about Las Vegas other than many areas seem very. For me it is hard to determine where Las Vegas ends and Henderson begins (in some areas) so keep an open mind and take a look for yourself.

4) Summerlin – we have heard that it is a nice area but pricey.

5) Henderson - came to us as the most recommended place to live in Southern Nevada (online and by co-workers). To be honest, the only time you know you are near Las Vegas is at night when you can see the lights of the strip down the hill about 15 miles away. Henderson is a quiet, family friendly town with everything you need (grocery stores, shopping, restaurants, services, schools, sports, etc.).

5a) We were urged to live south of the 215 (which we do ... Green Valley Ranch is south of the 215), however we have seen many nice areas close to the 215 on the north side. My only assumption is this recommendation may have something to do with the schools.

5b) We recommend the following neighborhoods - Green Valley Ranch, Anthem and Seven Hills.

5c) Schools - in Henderson they are hit and miss so I would encourage you to do your research (if you have children). Most seem to receive good ratings but others don't. John C. Vanderburg Elementary School just received the National Blue Ribbon School Program award for high performance level achievement (another great thing about GVR).

Regardless of where and what you decide pray about it! He will guide you and if you choose some of our recommendations we hope you are blessed by it.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,689 times
very safe... dont worry, be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas