Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM

12 posts, read 21,817 times

Advertisements

This is a question for people who are native to Las Vegas. I would like to know what civic pride means to them.

I think it is a great question to ask of individuals who are from Las Vegas because it seems like a place where any idea of civic pride is never ingrained into your brain.

The reason i think that fact matters is because if an individuals comes from a place like that and ends up developing a sense of pride where they come from, it will be more powerful and real than any other city in this country. It's pure and came from their thinking.

In my opinion, Las Vegas is something else entirely. When you think about a place like Chicago, even though there are massive gangs and violence, people still have the what appears to be true neighborhood pride (and i'm not saying that it's better to be that way). btw this last paragraph is kind of unrelated but i want people to know where my thought process is at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 09:31 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Well I have to say as a native of northern California and a current student at the University of Nevada, Reno where a lot of students are from Vegas; the students from Las Vegas are some of the most snobby people I've met, and Californian's are supposed to be this way. All they ever do is talk about how great Vegas is and how crappy Reno is(while I personally believe that Reno is much nicer than Vegas). Most of them act like they are from some world class city such as NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, etc but they are really just from white bread suburbs of Las Vegas lol.

Just an interesting observation I've noticed.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Well I have to say as a native of northern California and a current student at the University of Nevada, Reno where a lot of students are from Vegas; the students from Las Vegas are some of the most snobby people I've met, and Californian's are supposed to be this way. All they ever do is talk about how great Vegas is and how crappy Reno is(while I personally believe that Reno is much nicer than Vegas). Most of them act like they are from some world class city such as NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, etc but they are really just from white bread suburbs of Las Vegas lol.

Just an interesting observation I've noticed.
Interesting observation you have.

I have been stationed in Vegas(Nelis AFB) for a little over two years now. I am originally from Savannah Ga. And have been stationed in Italy, Germany, Korea and Japan for the past 10 years. Whenever I tell someone where I was raised, lived or visited...the response never compares to when I tell them where I live now.

Even when my home town was voted #2 for top ten most beautiful city in the U.S. 10 Most Beautiful Cities in the US | Great Places to Travel - Things To Do - Best Places to Vacation

Vegas just has that "world class" feeling about I guess.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:31 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
ahhhhh yet another "trash vegas"thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:56 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Ahhhhh, here we go again with the old perception versus realty routine. Lower the cone of silence, and let’s talk.

Where to start? Hmmm. Let’s start with Reno. I’ve lived in both. In fact I lived in Reno over 30 years ago, and Reno has barely changed in that time. The population is nearly the same as it was. Reno is a cowboy town, and Las Vegas is cosmopolitan. So we are comparing apples to oranges. Nothing wrong with Reno. I love Reno. I like the weather and the scenery, and close proximity to the mountains. Many times over the years my wife and I have questioned whether we should have ever left there.

But, Reno is not Las Vegas, and doesn’t want to be Las Vegas. And anytime you mention Las Vegas to a Renoite they nearly explode with anger. At the mere mention of this town, Northern Nevadans that have never been south of Tonopah in their lives, will get all red faced and practically scream that we’re not going to turn their town into another Las Vegas, as if anyone wanted to, and as if they had a clue about what Las Vegas is like. But, I notice that all the beautiful ranches that were right downtown are now housing projects, and rich Renoites got richer on the deal.

Of course kids from the South are going to compare it to Reno. They’re kids. And, of course it will irritate Reno kids. But, it’s not just comparing Las Vegas to Reno. They’d be doing the same thing at Georgetown, Harvard, or Princeton, or even Sanford, Stanford, or Samford. We Las Vegans, even though the OP accuses us of not having any civic pride, are snobs about this town. There is no other town like it in the world, and we feel privileged to be a part of a place that has everything. So we tend to brag about it. Actually, we mostly complain when we go just about anywhere, because wherever it is, they won’t have things we’re used to having. But they will have things we don’t like, such as humidity, rain, insects, sidewalks that are rolled up at dusk, and the stupidest rules we ever heard of to control every aspect of human life.

Saying Las Vegas doesn’t have any civic pride could only come from some Johnny-Come-Lately, that has no clue at all about what has taken place here before they came along with their preconceived notions about our town.
You got a couple of hours? Dynimagelv, and I, would like to go over some of the civic projects that we’ve seen ...and probably been a part of during our lifetimes.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 AM

241 posts, read 492,291 times
What is this Las Vegas you speak of? I live in Winchester.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Quote:
Ahhhhh, here we go again with the old perception versus realty routine. Lower the cone of silence, and let’s talk.

Where to start? Hmmm. Let’s start with Reno. I’ve lived in both. In fact I lived in Reno over 30 years ago, and Reno has barely changed in that time. The population is nearly the same as it was. Reno is a cowboy town, and Las Vegas is cosmopolitan. So we are comparing apples to oranges. Nothing wrong with Reno. I love Reno. I like the weather and the scenery, and close proximity to the mountains. Many times over the years my wife and I have questioned whether we should have ever left there.

But, Reno is not Las Vegas, and doesn’t want to be Las Vegas. And anytime you mention Las Vegas to a Renoite they nearly explode with anger. At the mere mention of this town, Northern Nevadans that have never been south of Tonopah in their lives, will get all red faced and practically scream that we’re not going to turn their town into another Las Vegas, as if anyone wanted to, and as if they had a clue about what Las Vegas is like. But, I notice that all the beautiful ranches that were right downtown are now housing projects, and rich Renoites got richer on the deal.

Of course kids from the South are going to compare it to Reno. They’re kids. And, of course it will irritate Reno kids. But, it’s not just comparing Las Vegas to Reno. They’d be doing the same thing at Georgetown, Harvard, or Princeton, or even Sanford, Stanford, or Samford. We Las Vegans, even though the OP accuses us of not having any civic pride, are snobs about this town. There is no other town like it in the world, and we feel privileged to be a part of a place that has everything. So we tend to brag about it. Actually, we mostly complain when we go just about anywhere, because wherever it is, they won’t have things we’re used to having. But they will have things we don’t like, such as humidity, rain, insects, sidewalks that are rolled up at dusk, and the stupidest rules we ever heard of to control every aspect of human life.

Saying Las Vegas doesn’t have any civic pride could only come from some Johnny-Come-Lately, that has no clue at all about what has taken place here before they came along with their preconceived notions about our town.
You got a couple of hours? Dynimagelv, and I, would like to go over some of the civic projects that we’ve seen ...and probably been a part of during our lifetimes.
Well first of all thats just blatantly wrong to state that Reno's population hasn't changed in 30 years. It hasn't exploded the way Vegas has but I don't think any city in the world really has. In 1980 Reno 100,756 people. Today it has 220,598 people which is more than double. Not to mention that Sparks has doubled, as well as all the growth in the Carson City/Douglas area.

And I don't mean it to be a bash Vegas thread, I've definitely been to Vegas numerous times and I've seen a lot of the town outside the strip. My gf is from Vegas. But my general opinion is that outside the strip(which is definitely world class, however mostly for tourists) Vegas is arguably the most boring city in the world. It is just an endless suburb with chain after chain.

Yes Vegas people laugh at downtown Reno which is understandable. However, obviously a generalization but they are generally some of the most uncultured people I've met. They complain that there isn't an Applebees or Wal-Mart near campus, and wonder why there are so many small businesses in Reno. Many have never been to a play(besides that Pirate show). And many have traveled to very few places. IDK I could go on and on, but its pointless.

Basically, I'm saying most people from Vegas have too much civic pride, and really have nothing to compare it to as most have never been to truly great cities.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 21,817 times
I think the reason I had to ask this question is because vegas kids are clearly something else. Just think, if you grew up anywhere near the strip, think about all you would have seen. Soo much.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:39 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelspeakin View Post
I think the reason I had to ask this question is because vegas kids are clearly something else. Just think, if you grew up anywhere near the strip, think about all you would have seen. Soo much.

I raised kids in Las Vegas, near the Strip (but definately not on it), from their infancy to young adulthood. All of them are gread kids and young adults.

A couple of them are already working at good jobs here in town, have their own families and some of the kids are still in school yet.

The older ones that are grown work hard, pay their bills on time, drive nice cars, enjoy what the tourists enjoy. All the kids were and are raised with good family morals and values, they go to church, have a nice circle of friends, volunteer sometimes at the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities.

You ask any one of them where they're from and they'll tell you PROUDLY AND GLADLY----LAS VEGAS BORN AND RAISED! They are so proud to live here, the place where people from all over the world want to come to and visit. The younger ones have school pride and are very involved with their school sports teams and cheerleading, girls varsity sports, the Theater Group, Palo Verde football, etc..

And believe me, whatever any kid might have seen on the Strip (if they were allowed there growing up) they could see anywhere, in any city, in any small town, on any beach, on any tv show and all over the internet.

You don't have to be in Las Vegas to see it my dear

Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Well first of all thats just blatantly wrong to state that Reno's population hasn't changed in 30 years. It hasn't exploded the way Vegas has but I don't think any city in the world really has. In 1980 Reno 100,756 people. Today it has 220,598 people which is more than double. Not to mention that Sparks has doubled, as well as all the growth in the Carson City/Douglas area.

And I don't mean it to be a bash Vegas thread, I've definitely been to Vegas numerous times and I've seen a lot of the town outside the strip. My gf is from Vegas. But my general opinion is that outside the strip(which is definitely world class, however mostly for tourists) Vegas is arguably the most boring city in the world. It is just an endless suburb with chain after chain.

Yes Vegas people laugh at downtown Reno which is understandable. However, obviously a generalization but they are generally some of the most uncultured people I've met. They complain that there isn't an Applebees or Wal-Mart near campus, and wonder why there are so many small businesses in Reno. Many have never been to a play(besides that Pirate show). And many have traveled to very few places. IDK I could go on and on, but its pointless.

Basically, I'm saying most people from Vegas have too much civic pride, and really have nothing to compare it to as most have never been to truly great cities.
I lived in NYC and surrounding areas back in my heyday. Do you consider NYC a truly great city?

I have to differ with you my friend. It's a dump in my opinion, and the surrounding areas are worse. When we've taken some of the kids back there to visit, they can't believe how terrible it is there, cramped, dirty, congested, they can't wait to get back home!

So, in my opinion, I lived in a a "great city" and I say Las Vegas is just soooo much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas