Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,648,036 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious how it's possible that Las Vegas, which is in the ultimate libertarian state, is somehow "democrat-leaning"? That makes no sense to me at all. I mean, the liberals can't wait to raise taxes on everyone, it's a huge hallmark of being a democrat in this country -- anti-business, anti-corporations, and pro-taxes on everything that moves. Yet Nevada is the most business-friendly state in the union, it has some of the lowest taxes, and is politically just about ideal... except somehow the voters elected Reid, again, who is one of the biggest morons in the entire Senate. I'm not sure what to make of that situation?

I mean if you showed me all of the laws, all of the tax structure, and everything else that is amazing about Vegas, I'd tell you it has to be mostly conservative, and full of libertarians, but then when I hear democrat-leaning I'm just confused. I think the only explanation is that the state isn't conservative or liberal, it's just libertarian, maybe the only such state, because it combines all of the best parts of the liberal side (no puritanical nonsense, freedom to do as you please as long as it doesn't hurt others, no "moral police" like the crazy right wingers) with all of the best parts of the conservative side (low taxes, small government, gun ownership, etc.).

Nevada is pretty much exactly what I think the founding fathers had in mind when they made this country. So is it just a different TYPE of democrat in Las Vegas? Because the ones in California would never stand for 0% income taxes, they would prefer it be 25% or even 50% and just drive out everyone who makes any money, they would prefer we institute another few dozen social programs, and they're basically completely clueless about the way the economy actually works. Apparently a Nevada democrat is totally unlike a California one! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,524,319 times
It's democrat-leaning...thanks to all the democrat transplantees who have moved there.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,040,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I mean if you showed me all of the laws, all of the tax structure, and everything else that is amazing about Vegas, I'd tell you it has to be mostly conservative, and full of libertarians, but then when I hear democrat-leaning I'm just confused.
Yes, you are.

The political forum is that way ----------->>>

Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,144,650 times
and it's leaning to the left because of all the Kalifornikators that moved in....when they run away it's stand up straight again

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,948,857 times
JonathanLB - The entire state isn't democrat leaning. It's the metropolitan areas that are democrate leaning since in-migration really took off. Las Vegas is the prime example. It has basically become California East. It has a large population and it dominates and overpowers the state-wide electoral process.

If you take a look at the rest of the state, particularly the northern and western counties, you will find more of the traditional libertarian or conservative viewpoints. The problem is that they have lower population counts than Las Vegas so state-wide, Vegas dominates.

However, the next bigger city in Nevada, Reno, has also been trending towards the left side of things as a result of the California migration. It may have even passed to the dark side in recent years. Again, it's the California transplants. In the case of Reno, it's often from the Northern California/San Franscisco region, so you can imagine the viewpoints that they bring with them.

That's how statewide offices or legislative attempts can go against the traditional, historical or expected grain of the state.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 AM

932 posts, read 2,350,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post

However, the next bigger city in Nevada, Reno, has also been trending towards the left side of things as a result of the California migration.
Not everyone realizes this, but Henderson passed Reno in population a while ago and is Nevada's second-largest city. The latest numbers are about 270,000 for Henderson and 220,000 for Reno.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
JonathanLB - The entire state isn't democrat leaning. It's the metropolitan areas that are democrate leaning since in-migration really took off. Las Vegas is the prime example. It has basically become California East. It has a large population and it dominates and overpowers the state-wide electoral process.

If you take a look at the rest of the state, particularly the northern and western counties, you will find more of the traditional libertarian or conservative viewpoints. The problem is that they have lower population counts than Las Vegas so state-wide, Vegas dominates.

However, the next bigger city in Nevada, Reno, has also been trending towards the left side of things as a result of the California migration. It may have even passed to the dark side in recent years. Again, it's the California transplants. In the case of Reno, it's often from the Northern California/San Franscisco region, so you can imagine the viewpoints that they bring with them.

That's how statewide offices or legislative attempts can go against the traditional, historical or expected grain of the state.
I'm not sure I completely understand the California transplant explanation. First, not everyone in (or from) California is a radical leftist kook. In fact, most California residents do not fit this description; it's just that those who do are loud and have an ally in the mainstream media. Second, one would think that those with the good sense to leave California would be those who realize that Big Government is what destroyed California. As such, one would expect them to support candidates and policies that stand in the way of Big Government. If you're being taxed out of California, why would you move to NV (or anywhere else) and vote for tax-and-spend leftists in your new locale?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,237,888 times
I would think part of the problem is that it is a hybrid. The resistance to an income tax for instances is accepted by virtually all. It is likely a career ender for even a liberal democrat to suggest that an income tax be implemented.

As you get global the system tends to be more libertarian. As you get local it tends toward the democratic view.

And of course the rurals still are not just libertarian they tend to be limit social conservatives. They are also pretty much irrelevant at this point. Washoe still has some pull and has more registered Republicans than democrats...but they were never of the social conservative brand of the rurals...hence Sharron Angle lost there as well as being wiped out in Las Vegas.

I am very much of the view that Las Vegas should take over. Move the State government south. Pull some of the strong graduate schools from UNR and move them to UNLV. Start with the Medical School. Cut northern roadwork to a proper per capita share.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,145,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I'm just curious how it's possible that Las Vegas, which is in the ultimate libertarian state, is somehow "democrat-leaning"? That makes no sense to me at all.
IMO, it's the Californians moving here that are failing to leave California behind.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:26 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,902,021 times
A majority of cities are left-leaning. No big surprises here. Nevada has traditionally been a libertarian state, but that is just tradition. Today it just feels like a middle of the road state. I don't think some of the recent politicians are terribly representative of the state or Las Vegas. Most people would not resemble the views of Harry Reid nor Sharron Angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas