Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:39 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,056,059 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite dog park in the Las Vegas area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
For it's large size, 7.5 acres, I like the Barkin Basin (in the flood basin) at Wayne Bunker Park on Alexander and Tenaya. But one of my dogs has had allergic reactions to something there which I suspect is weed killer, so we've cut down on the trips there.

Because of the possible allergy problem at Barkin Basin, we drive a little further to All American Park at Buffalo Dr. and Oakey. It's a nice dog park, easy access, you can park right at the gate, and it's large enough for them to run around, and there are more dogs to play with there usually. A tired dog is a good dog.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,056,059 times
Thanks Buzz.

I'm bringing my doggy with me when I move. He lives with two other dogs right now and has multiple girl friends around the neighborhood, so I'm going to have to keep him busy there lol.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:48 AM

77 posts, read 127,222 times
By far the best dog park is Dog Fanciers at the end of Flamingo where it dead ends onto Stephanie, behind Sam's Town. Not the best location in town, but once you're there, you will be in for a pleasant surprise. It's like 12 acres, redone last year and the largest section has a wonderful walking track around it. Three and a half laps is a mile and the middle of it is acres of GRASS, not dirt that enables the dogs and the people to get together or to SEPARATE and have plenty of room to avoid confrontation. I have been to about seven dog parks in this town and nothing compares to Dog Fanciers. It is very well lit and open until 11 p.m. and has a small dog park and besides the huge area, there are also three other areas that are probably still larger than any other dog park I've been to in Las Vegas. I wish Henderson would stop making small dog parks or dog parks with three sections and make either one big section or two larger sections. There is a difference in the way humans and dogs get along when there is more space! Dog Fanciers also holds dog training classes at various times and recently held the annual Strut Your Mutt. Everyone I know who used to go to Sunset Dog Park now goes to Dog Fanciers and can't even imagine going back to Sunset or even the new Bark Park off of Burkholder.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,866,535 times
Henderson just built a new dog park, which as Vegas28 said, is divided into three areas. It's got gated areas for small dogs, large dogs, and 'all dogs'. As a result, it is three smaller parks rather than one large park. But on the other hand, it allows the crazy owner that can't control their animal to stay segregated from the rest of the dogs and walk their animal without bothering everyone that is at the park. I appreciate that from time to time.

The park is called the Bark Park or something like that and is near Racetrack & Boulder Hwy by the new Henderson aquatic center on Burkholder.

If you want to talk ridiculously small dog parks, there is one at Acacia park that is really small. It is a nice park overall, but the dog area is divided into two small areas. If they would have made it one large area it would have been somewhat useful.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM

I think all of the dog parks, at least all the ones we use, have divided areas; one for large dogs, and one for small, older, or large dog puppies. All of the large parks have three areas, but one area is usually closed off while the grass recovers, except when the Parks & Rec groundskeepers forget to lock it you'll see people using the closed area anyway. At Barkin' Basin, one area is sometimes used for dog trials, dog shows, breed clubs, etc.

Now if we could only train the parents to use the free poop scoop bags...

Old 11-27-2010, 08:22 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,930,688 times
I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but there's a large one on Washington, between Durango and Buffalo.

It's a good spot for those on the west side of town.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but there's a large one on Washington, between Durango and Buffalo.

It's a good spot for those on the west side of town.
Oh, oh. Thanks. I said All American Park was at Buffalo and Oakey, but I shud have said Buffalo and Washington.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM

848 posts, read 1,726,344 times
All American Park at Buffalo and Oakey is a nice park, it is in an affluent area of Vegas. Another nice park with an enclosed area for dogs is the Desert Breeze Park, a huge park in Spring Valley. This park when fully developed will span Cimarron, Desert Inn, Durango all the way to Flamingo. It is nice the way it is now but will be better once they develop the remaing vacant land on Durango/Flamingo and Desert Inn/Cimarron.

The mother of all dog parks in Vegas is at Red Rock Canyon. No need to go in the 13 mile loop drive. I sometimes call the trails in the area as Dog Sh*t Trail.

Last edited by jhiker1o; 11-27-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Oh, oh. Thanks. I said All American Park was at Buffalo and Oakey, but I shud have said Buffalo and Washington.
Ahhhhhh, I'm sssoooooo confuseeedddddd. The Park at Washington and Buffalo is called this: Kellogg-Zaher Sports Complex Dog Park | Dog Park USA

All American Park is at Buffalo and Oakey and I must confess I've never stopped there.

Here's a whole list of dog parks but I don't think it's complete: Las Vegas, Nevada Dog Parks | Dog Park USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: