Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,567 times

Advertisements

For all you landlord that own property and are renting them out, how are you finding the ability to find renters in our down economy?

How long, on average does it take to find a renter for your units in LV?
Are there large turnover rates in your units when they are rented?

Would you say it's better to get a long term rental in Vegas or a own vacation rental in this economy?

I'm thinking of purchasing an investment property, but not sure how long it would stay empty. With a vacation rental, I can charge quite a bit more, and also have a place for myself when I travel to Vegas. As well, I'm reasonably sure the vacation rental would be rented most of the year as there really isn't a low season in Vegas .... or is there?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Hard to say because I have two houses in high demand areas. I had an agent put them on MLS and priced them a little bit below what appeared the market for comp properties. The first in Silverado Ranch drew I think 10 applicants in the first weekend and it yielded a good tenant over the last year who is still there and who I have heard from once. Second in Rhodes Ranch was crazy, priced it about $30 under market and the phone was ringing off the hook. I had five applications within the first week and finally got one acceptable to me I think it was 6 days after listing. I just got off the phone with him and some lady in the house at the moment was begging me to consider her, but I was happy with the tenant's bio and credit. He's been great in the 4 months so far, sending in his check two weeks before rent's due!

But just be prepared for some horrendous credit applications in the current conditions. These people must think landlords are desperate. I had one applicant who had been sent to collections by his apartment and all utilities three months prior and it didn't appear to be cleared up yet, but that didn't stop him from applying for a house with rent $400 higher than the apartment.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
For all you landlord that own property and are renting them out, how are you finding the ability to find renters in our down economy?

How long, on average does it take to find a renter for your units in LV?
Are there large turnover rates in your units when they are rented?

Would you say it's better to get a long term rental in Vegas or a own vacation rental in this economy?

I'm thinking of purchasing an investment property, but not sure how long it would stay empty. With a vacation rental, I can charge quite a bit more, and also have a place for myself when I travel to Vegas. As well, I'm reasonably sure the vacation rental would be rented most of the year as there really isn't a low season in Vegas .... or is there?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
I'm not sure if income production or a vacation home is your primary priority, but it can be a huge challenge to have a property serve both needs. Also, being a long distance landlord is never a good idea.

Recent legislation was passed designed to curb people from renting "party houses." If I understand correctly, you can no longer rent your property in Clark County for less than 30 days unless it is a location with on-site property management, which will end up costing you even more.

Your ROI for a year can also get killed by a bad AC repair, or other HOA assessment, and two months of unoccupancy if you are financing the place. And don't even think about appreciation for a few more years IMO. Make sure you have quite a bit in reserves (9 months worth should work for most contingencies) and that this is a long term investment.

And if you are in a position to buy the place with cash, would having it wrapped up in a property present an opportunity cost for you?

I prefer REIT's at this point. Much less hassle. Either that or perhaps you might be better off being a local landlord in San Diego and using your ROI for a few blowout weekends in Vegas.

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 09-01-2010 at 06:52 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 12:12 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
To clarify, you can't rent a house for under 30 days unless you have a lodging license. Has nothing to do with on-site property management. They did it to protect the hotel industry and more specifically to benefit the long-term stay places who are run by a lot of very politically connected people.

I think there is a huge opportunity for income rentals right now, but financing is tough and one has to expect some bumps in the road. That being said rents are relatively high in Vegas and haven't come down all that much even in the bad economy, if you can reset at today's house prices and get financed its a screaming deal with ROI's very high with of course some concerns about vacancies and credit quality of clients.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I think there is a huge opportunity for income rentals right now, but financing is tough and one has to expect some bumps in the road. That being said rents are relatively high in Vegas and haven't come down all that much even in the bad economy, if you can reset at today's house prices and get financed its a screaming deal with ROI's very high with of course some concerns about vacancies and credit quality of clients.
When I rented my place out last summer I got a call from the PM who was pitching me the profile of a potential tenant he had lined up - a recently divorced mom with two kids. I had a few questions for him, one of which was "what does her credit look like?" He replied, "her credit is horrible...but everyone's credit is horrible in Vegas". lol.

That said, her references checked out well and she's been in the place for over a year now without a single late. Knock on wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas