Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 AM

179 posts, read 390,482 times

Advertisements

If the salts dissolve, then does that mean that the drinking water tastes salty? With a water softener does one have to use only bottled drinking water, because the water in the tap turns into saltwater? Do you have to add salts often and are they expensive to buy?

Just curious since I never had one and would consider it as it's better than clogging the pipes with minerals or dealing with white calcium deposits everywhere.

Wouldn't it be nice if the mineral deposits were mostly silver, gold and diamonds - then those clogged pipes would be worth a mint in resale value and pay for themselves to be replaced every so many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
If the salts dissolve, then does that mean that the drinking water tastes salty? With a water softener does one have to use only bottled drinking water, because the water in the tap turns into saltwater? Do you have to add salts often and are they expensive to buy?

Just curious since I never had one and would consider it as it's better than clogging the pipes with minerals or dealing with white calcium deposits everywhere.

Wouldn't it be nice if the mineral deposits were mostly silver, gold and diamonds - then those clogged pipes would be worth a mint in resale value and pay for themselves to be replaced every so many years.
No salt (or to be technically correct - very little) gets into the house water.

The water softener process is a chemical one involving selectively removing the hard metal ions from the water. They are attracted to resin beads in the water softener. The resin beads eventually run out of attraction (yes - I know what the attraction is -but lets not go there). They are renewed by running a saturated salt solution over them. This happens at 2:00AM every few days. The salt solution is then dumped into the sewer. The resin beads are now good for a few days or so.

Your only responsibity is to make sure the water softener has its salt hopper filled up so it can make the salt solution it needs. Run out of salt...no more softening.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Thank you for explaining. It sounds like it would be easy to take care of and if the replacement salts not too expensive then an easy way to take care of the hard water problem and keep the plumbing in better condition, even if it's not a Kitec affected house, it would still be hard on all the pipes and fixtures regardless. And I do dislike all that white calcium build-up as I've experienced it in the past.

I think I will definitely look into a soft water system on where-ever I end up moving, be it into LV, because of the hard water situation.

I guess just don't drink the water at 2 am while it's running its cycle and that's not a major inconvenience since I'd expect to be sleeping.

Good explanation, thanks.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Further unsolicited advice from olecapt.

Get a water softener. I recommend a Fleck or similar. Small units start at about $500 plus install. The Sears units are not bad and cheaper but cost a lot more when they need work a few years out. These things don't need a lot of help. Ours has had two service calls in about 18 years and is now replaced.

Get a properly sized demand unit. Likely cut your cost in half or more.

This is hard water. You can't get dishes, clothes or hair clean with it without a lot of work. Our softener has been out for 6 weeks and all the glass and silverware has reached ugly.

For drinking you put in an RO. $300 or so and lots of super clean water with no tastes..note it will also supply water when the water softener is regenerating.

Really makes for good tasting coffee...one of the important things in life.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 PM

351 posts, read 838,031 times
How important is the RO? I've been drinking LV water straight out of the tap for 2 years-is it that bad? I've found that as long as I don't drink the first bit that comes out of the pipe it tastes fine to me.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:54 PM

Thank you for the information on costs too. It sounds like I will do it as I have experienced hard water before and know it's a mess.

I hate to plead ignorance again, but what does "RO" stand for? Is that some kind of water filter device?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 PM

I think you live in Sky which I would almost guarantee treats their water. Maybe just activated charcoal but perhaps fancier. They want their pipes to live a long time without problems as well as keeping the owners happy.

Ask one of the maintenance guys they will likely know.

I will also drink it...but I don't like it in coffee and I can taste the chlorine.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 PM

154 posts, read 357,889 times
yeah ole...what's an RO? We have yet to move to our LV home and want to get what is needed.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
I hate to plead ignorance again, but what does "RO" stand for? Is that some kind of water filter device?
Reverse osmosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,521 times
I have a Reverse Osmosis system. I bought it from Sears and it is a Kenmore. Even if you have to pay someone to install it- it is SO WORTH it!!! Our water tastes much better than the best bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: