Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 PM

179 posts, read 390,580 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if the water in LV tends to be hard or soft water but I was assuming it to be hard water with lots of mineral build-up in it because NV seems to be a high mineral content state. I mean the very idea of NV brings to mind silver, gemstones and precious metals, so I assumed there'd be hard water build-up in the pipes and a white calcium deposit in the bathtub over time. That might be a problem with all plumbing, not just the one that was recalled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:34 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,325,561 times
I have not heard of any homes being pulled apart due to expanding soil. Just cracks on the outside of the stucco, some in the foundation.
I have no idea what the long term consequences could be. I guess the only way to find out would be to have a major earthquake hit the area.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:07 PM

I think the earthquake possibility doesn't bother me too much. So for that one, even if there's some minor settling and cracks it doesn't worry me too much. I always imagined CA being hit with a major earthquake more likely than anything in NV though they've happened in NV too over the years. I guess when they have done underground tests on nuclear bombs that has felt like an earthquake, but at least you get advance warning so it's not a surprise. If there was an unusual rain storm, then flash flooding would be worse than an earthquake probably, as far as damage and danger goes. I stopped considering certain properties when I saw on the satellite map what looked like arroyos coming out of the mountains and aimed directly at certain locations, figuring that might be the most likely path a flash flood would take. I remember one house I thought well priced and nice but the map on that one had an arroyo coming right into the back yard and I thought no, it's in the way of a flash flood if one ever happened, so I didn't consider it further.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,603,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
I was wondering if the water in LV tends to be hard or soft water but I was assuming it to be hard water with lots of mineral build-up in it because NV seems to be a high mineral content state. I mean the very idea of NV brings to mind silver, gemstones and precious metals, so I assumed there'd be hard water build-up in the pipes and a white calcium deposit in the bathtub over time. That might be a problem with all plumbing, not just the one that was recalled.
It's definitely very, very hard.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm currently living with softer water and clean up of sinks and fixtures is pretty easy. But I have lived in hard water areas too and that's always a challenge dealing with constant white chalky calcium deposit on the fixtures, especially glass shower doors. I imagine if I end up in LV, as I am trying, then I will remove any shower doors and replace them with shower curtains, which are disposable. Good knowledge to know as I suspected it would be a hard water area full of minerals.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:28 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,349,782 times
The water situation is the same in Arizona. My house is less than 10 years old and I've had constant minor but annoying plumbing problems. Every time -- be it faucets or toilets -- the issue is blamed on the hard water ... "mineral build-up and corrosion." Every fixture has been replaced -- we're on the third turn-on valve in the master shower and the third set of innards in both toilet tanks. I initially blamed it on cheap fixtures used by the builder. But I replaced them with good quality ones and those perform just as poorly.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:36 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,603,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
I'm currently living with softer water and clean up of sinks and fixtures is pretty easy. But I have lived in hard water areas too and that's always a challenge dealing with constant white chalky calcium deposit on the fixtures, especially glass shower doors. I imagine if I end up in LV, as I am trying, then I will remove any shower doors and replace them with shower curtains, which are disposable. Good knowledge to know as I suspected it would be a hard water area full of minerals.
I have a water softener and it works great. Plus having one extends the life of your appliances.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
I am in the middle of replacing my water softener. I have told part of the tale elsewhere...the dealings with HSA to get it fixed and the install ripoff.

Well I outsmarted them and went DIY. I was however clever about it. I ordered the exact same unit as I had so it would be a simple two screw install and away we go...hah you believe that? You think Murphy was a nice guy?

First off this is the standard Fleck tank. It is 48 inches by 9 inches in diameter. When I took the head off the old unit...exactly 48 inches to the top of the tank...within a 32nd or so. The new tank? 49 inches. So when the head goes on one inch out of line. And it is the wrong inch. If it was short an inch just put something under the tank and make it fit. But too tall? Well just drop the plumbing an inch. Nope...not today. Solid copper 1 inch with four valves and not a single 1/2 wide section of tube...all fittings. Snugged right up next to each other. Somebody must have bench fabricated the thing as an assembly and then whacked it into place.

Well an obviously solution...use the old tank...which is what we are doing. The poor Admiral of course gets stuck with such jobs...we got the water out of it and some of the resin with a wet/dry vac. Then rolled it to the end of the driveway and stuck in a hose. Poor Admiral got run over by the tank on a freshly decorated big toe. Very annoyed Admiral. Got all the junk out and filled it up with a quart of pool chlorine. So all clean and disinfected.

Got the new head on...a fancy electronic one...and checked the fit...damn thing grew a 1/4 inch. Chopped the base that supports the tank 1/4. It now fits though I think we will shim it a little when loaded so it does not hang from the copper.

Well there is where we are. Got a friend coming by tomorrow to help with the fill. Got to get the 1 cf of resin into the tube and then hook it all up. I think a couple of hours. As long as it does not leak...

This cripple bit is a real pain. What I can't do is muscle anything. And I am a big guy who muscled everything. As soon as I work with both hands and try to use a little force...my balance leaves and I have to stop and hold myself up. So I have to plan ahead. Not having the exact right tool is a deal...as I can get across the garage only two or three times before I need 20 minutes of rest.

Then again 6 weeks ago this would have been an impossible task. So things are looking up a bit anyway.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 AM

It sounds like a water softener is the way to go, if they're not too expensive and not a lot of maintenance. I've never had one, but I thought in theory they were a tank with salts and the water moving over the salts pulled out the minerals that remain behind, then you have to dump out the old and replace with fresh salt once or twice a year depending on how much water you use.

But if that is true, where does one throw the used salts, does it go in the garbage or just out into the yard and it dissolves away? I guess if it was snow country you could use it in winter to defrost the driveway.

That sounds like a lot of work, pain and hardship getting yours back to working order Olecapt. I hope it is working okay now and has saved you the cost and inconvenience of having to get it replaced. I'll remember what you said in case I end up with an older water softener somewhere already in place, then maybe I can save it too by doing a big clean-up on the insides including the use of pool cleaner chemicals.

I'll add water softener to my mental checklist of things that might be desireable for living in LV. It might even be enough to keep Kitec fittings from clogging up, should there be any.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,915,225 times
The salt dissolves. No disposal necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: