Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,573 times

Advertisements

I am so glad I found this fourm..OMG so Glad! I am originally from Michigan then moved to Sarasota where I currently reside and HATE THIS PLACE! You are all right..everyone is rude, and nasty. I have been trying to convince my boyfriend to move and i am almost there, this is no place for a decent person. Need to be 80 or older, and mean!

I want to be around NICE people! I have been looking at Knoxville for about 4 months now, I have to live where my employer is...so I have to pick and choose a location. I will be visiting in August to see the area, now I am really excited since I found is site.

Thanks for the great information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 04:17 PM

363 posts, read 482,015 times
Likes: My drive to work, I drive along Lake Loudon every morning It's beautiful; Market Square and the Farmers Market; Parks are more than just a play ground: Ft Dickerson, Concord Park, Lakeshore, I.C. Wells; Carl Cowan, Victor Ashe; The different events: Chinese Lights Festival, the Mardi Growl, Dogwood Arts. Other things: the Spring Flowers, the Fall Leaves; Summer Fireflies; Free museums and so much history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Dislike: Alcoa Hwy (I find it not a safe drive); the zoo makes me sad, I don't dislike it but it makes me sad; so many fast food restaurants,
I like the zoo. Granted it's not the San Diego Zoo but it is a very decent zoo for a city this size. They keep adding new things and that's great!

Dislikes: Definitely all the fast food restaurants. It's been the biggest disappointment since I moved here.
When I thought of the South, I thought about home cooking... not Cracker Barrel and Chick-Fil-A or Bojangles. The I40 during construction. All the other roads get backed up; Lack of sidewalks and bike lanes;

Old 06-16-2018, 06:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
Likes: My drive to work, I drive along Lake Loudon every morning It's beautiful; Market Square and the Farmers Market; Parks are more than just a play ground: Ft Dickerson, Concord Park, Lakeshore, I.C. Wells; Carl Cowan, Victor Ashe; The different events: Chinese Lights Festival, the Mardi Growl, Dogwood Arts. Other things: the Spring Flowers, the Fall Leaves; Summer Fireflies; Free museums and so much history!

I like the zoo. Granted it's not the San Diego Zoo but it is a very decent zoo for a city this size. They keep adding new things and that's great!

Dislikes: Definitely all the fast food restaurants. It's been the biggest disappointment since I moved here.
When I thought of the South, I thought about home cooking... not Cracker Barrel and Chick-Fil-A or Bojangles. The I40 during construction. All the other roads get backed up; Lack of sidewalks and bike lanes;
I love your list!

Believe me, when I first moved here it seemed like ALL of the restaurants were chains. Voted best restaurant for a few years in a row was a horrid Chinese buffet on Merchants Road. TERRIFYING. That we have restaurants that get national buzz is something of a miracle to me.

I wish there were more sidewalks and even, God forbid, shoulders on the roads.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 PM

196 posts, read 259,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I love your list!

Believe me, when I first moved here it seemed like ALL of the restaurants were chains. Voted best restaurant for a few years in a row was a horrid Chinese buffet on Merchants Road. TERRIFYING. That we have restaurants that get national buzz is something of a miracle to me.

I wish there were more sidewalks and even, God forbid, shoulders on the roads.
I agree wholeheartedly on sidewalks or shoulders. Shoulders were common up north, maybe because of winter snow plowing? But they were nice. I've seen two cars off the road in ditches in FC this past month!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post

Zoos always make me sad,I try to not dwell but it's tough. We try to visit rescue zoo's over a standard zoo whenever possible.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:04 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS2Tennessee View Post
I agree wholeheartedly on sidewalks or shoulders. Shoulders were common up north, maybe because of winter snow plowing? But they were nice. I've seen two cars off the road in ditches in FC this past month!
I agree about the lack of shoulders. I have had cars coming at me towing big boats on Northshore and there is nowhere to move over to get out of their way. I just hold my breath as we pass each other. I would love to be able to walk to the park on Northshore, less than half a mile away, but there is no way to get there on foot without literally walking in the road.

On another topic, what is up with bagging dog poop, but then leaving the bag on the ground? I have been exploring parks and greenways (which are WONDERFUL!) and I often see full poop bags sitting along the paths. I did not see this where I lived in Atlanta. Sure, plenty of people didn't pick up the poop at all (bad dog owners), but those that did generally held on to the bag until they could throw it away. I am not used to the bag it and leave it practice.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I agree about the lack of shoulders. I have had cars coming at me towing big boats on Northshore and there is nowhere to move over to get out of their way. I just hold my breath as we pass each other. I would love to be able to walk to the park on Northshore, less than half a mile away, but there is no way to get there on foot without literally walking in the road.

On another topic, what is up with bagging dog poop, but then leaving the bag on the ground? I have been exploring parks and greenways (which are WONDERFUL!) and I often see full poop bags sitting along the paths. I did not see this where I lived in Atlanta. Sure, plenty of people didn't pick up the poop at all (bad dog owners), but those that did generally held on to the bag until they could throw it away. I am not used to the bag it and leave it practice.
I've never seen that at the parks I frequent. I see a lot of unbagged though

Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS2Tennessee View Post
I've never seen that at the parks I frequent. I see a lot of unbagged though
I really noticed it on the Third Creek Greenway yesterday. Lots of different colored bags, so people are clearly bringing bags with them. Maybe they are being discarded because of the lack of trash cans?? You are right, I see less of it in places like The Cove or Carl Cowan. I have a canvas bag I use when I walk my dogs that actually has a pocket designed to hold the full poop bags, but I carry them in my hand as a badge of honor: I PICK UP AFTER MY DOGS!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 PM

284 posts, read 362,161 times
I hate driving on I-40. Wish they had built a by-pass for all the 18 wheeler traffic years ago. Other than that, I love living in this area.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwithdeb56 View Post
Hi Betty~ Hope you are enjoying your retirement there in Knox. We are from Rockford Il and have been doing lots of research on Knoxville and going back again soon to look some more. I befriended you in case there are some questions you may be able to answer for me or any suggestions etc. Thanks for any help on here, I appreciate it. Debbie
She never returned to CD after her initial post. Whether she settled in Knoxville or anywhere else is anyone's guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville