Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times

Advertisements

We are looking to retire to the knoxville area and wondered if anyone can tell me if they have **** roaches there, I can't handle them at all. I also wondered if anyone can recommend a good area there to look for houses. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 AM

25 posts, read 33,385 times
depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend. There are roaches everywhere in the south. Not as bad in the higher elevations of the mountains.

The down side is Knoxville gets very cold in the winter. the city sits right in the middle of a valley. That said, air quality isn't the greatest because the mountains on either side tend to serve as a barrier..

Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjleather7169 View Post
The down side is Knoxville gets very cold in the winter.
I would say that Knoxville gets cold in the winter with small stretches of very cold weather, interspersed with milder temps. That said, there can be times that are out of the ordinary, such as this past February, when the first 11 days or so were pleasant, about six degrees above average, but the last 17 days were so bitterly cold that February turned out to be the second or third coldest February in history here. February was actually about five degrees colder, on average, than January, when the opposite is usually the case. Weather variations aside, Knoxville has about the same winter temps, on average, as other cities at this latitude in the southeast, considering elevation as well.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeebat View Post
We are looking to retire to the knoxville area and wondered if anyone can tell me if they have **** roaches there, I can't handle them at all. I also wondered if anyone can recommend a good area there to look for houses. TIA
I hear they have Roaches, but in 6 years here I have never seen one.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 PM

81 posts, read 107,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjleather7169 View Post
depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend. There are roaches everywhere in the south. Not as bad in the higher elevations of the mountains.

The down side is Knoxville gets very cold in the winter. the city sits right in the middle of a valley. That said, air quality isn't the greatest because the mountains on either side tend to serve as a barrier..
Yep the air quality here is one of my biggest gripes about this place.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 AM

320 posts, read 540,694 times
If it really is true that roaches dislike the higher elevations, Crossville, located in Cumberland County about 45-60 minutes to the west of Knoxville, sits at an elevation around 2000 feet. Furthermore, it is a retirement haven.

If you are interested in retirement communities, Fairfield Glade and Lake Tansi Village are both found in Cumberland County and each have regular community activites.

Crossville has mild winters with light snowfall, though heavier than in the Valley (i.e Knoxville). Summer high temps are 5-6 degrees cooler than surrounding areas. Air quality is not an issue, except during pollen season.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
I'm surprised that some people of a certain age don't know that roaches are so adaptable that they are found on all continents except Antartica. Cockroaches scurried around Tyrannosaurus rex feet, their fossils found going back 354–295 million years ago.

In any event, as llsmith says, check out Lake Tansi Village, Fairfield Glade and also Tellico Village, south of Knoxville. It seems a lot of retirees enjoy these areas.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:06 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,750,713 times
There are roaches everywhere, as Hik says in her post. If you keep a clean house and don't leave nesting materials, such as stacks of cardboard or paper bags, lying around, you probably will not see any. Without food, they go elsewhere. Of course an exterminator could correct the problem if you happened to move into something infested. Having moved here from CA, I will say that I am generally pleased with the lack of bug problems we have seen. There are DIFFERENT bugs here (fireflies, cicadas, carpenter bees) but not really any MORE bugs. In our area we have very few mosquitos, but that varies by any sort of stagnant water that's in your immediate area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville