Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 PM

16,183 posts, read 21,337,674 times

Advertisements

My son has ditched his roommates after three years and decided to live on his own. He's found an apartment but needs a few pieces of furniture to make it livable. He's a typical broke college kid so it needs to be pretty inexpensive.
He goes to school and works full time so he's asked me to come to Knoxville next week and help him out. I'll be looking for some dining chairs and a couch to get him started.
I plan on looking at Big Lots and some of the stores like Target or Walmart, but are there any local places I should look at? A nice secondhand store (for the chairs), or someplace going out of business? I read something about a a place called Knoxville Wholesale Furniture moving locations, would they be worth checking out? Other suggestions?
I'll have to google directions to any stores before I leave for Knoxville, since his internet won't yet be set up when I get there, and I'm not familiar with all the areas in and around Knoxville.
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,836,770 times
I haven't done any furniture shopping in a while so don't have experience with what you need. There didn't seem to be too much that comes up in searches.

One that didn't come up might be an alternative, check into one of the Habitat for Humanity stores (Habitat Restore):
Find Our Stores | Knoxville Habitat for Humanity (there is a second one that recently opened in Maryville as a second choice)

I'm not sure if this was the one you already found: Furniture Clearance Center in Knoxville - Knoxville Wholesale Furniture Clearance Center - - 6700 Papermill Rd. Knoxville, TN 37919

Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 PM

394 posts, read 798,343 times
Craigslist. Haven't shopped Goodwill here, but you could find decent furniture up in the DC area. I think KARM (Knoxville Area Rescue Ministries) also has a thrift store.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM

I didn't know Habitat for Humanity had thrift stores. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank You!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,465,869 times
Best used furniture, best prices, hands down. And a fabulous organization. Several locations.

KARM THRIFT STORE | Knoxville's Thrift Store with a Mission.

By the way, the Habitat Re-Store is mostly reclaimed stuff for homes but the Merchant's Drive location is in the same plaza as a KARM store.

Knoxville Wholesale Furniture is probably more than you want to spend.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM

28 posts, read 66,643 times
The salesman at Ashley Furniture told us they are affiliated with Knoxville Wholesale Furniture. We found a sleeper sofa very reasonably at Value City Furniture at Kingston Overlook on Kingston Pike. Big Lots had some nice ones, but we needed a good hide-a-bed for our bonus room. Big Lots and VCF are probably less than 10 minutes apart if traffic is not bad. VCF also has a clearance section where we found a solid wood night stand for $75... I think Brown Squirrel has a clearance section, too, but I am not sure about their regular prices.

We found a dining table on Craigslist for 1/3 its original cost. It has very minimal wear and tear... I second the recommendation to check there.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Great tips!
I will try to look at craigslist before I leave, but having no internet for the three or four days I'll be in Knoxville makes it less likely I'll have a lot of luck with that, so I'm trying to find as many other possible sources as I can also.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,387,396 times
All good suggestions.
I will add a comment about Big Lots. When my Mom went into assisted living, she needed "smaller" furniture to fit in her room. We found lots of stuff at Big Lots that fit her needs and was an excellent value for the $$.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,465,869 times
Yes. Knoxville Wholesale Furniture bought Ashley Furniture when they tanked. KWF is slightly discounted. Maybe. It's not going to be the prices you are going to get at thrift stores like KARM or Big Lots.

There are also some very reasonably priced furniture stores on Broadway. Crappy furniture for crappy prices.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM

19,470 posts, read 28,044,695 times
I'm not familiar with Knoxville, but your best value will always be craigslist. Especially these days when, sadly, so many people are losing their houses. Bring the laptop and find a wifi cafe, bookstore, or library.

And the suggestion of Big Lots is accurate - though the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Call ahead as only some stores carry furniture - or better yet, go to their corporate website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville