Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 04:28 PM

31 posts, read 57,218 times

Advertisements

In July my wife and I are visiting Louisville to make a final decision on if I should take a job transfer and relocate. The plan is to make a week of it. I would like to go to lexington 1st for a couple of days and visit some distilleries and then head to Louisville where we would spend 3-4 days. I see a lot of B&Bs but I am hoping I can get some 1st hand recommendations for 1 in the lexington area and 1 in the Louisville area. I appreciate any input you can give. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 PM

7,587 posts, read 6,711,237 times
I'll ask around. Give me a few days. i'm sure other will weigh in with suggestions before I get back to you, but my wife and I will do our best to find something for you.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:07 AM

12,003 posts, read 12,035,571 times
The Woodford Inn, in downtown Versailles, might be a good base for you. Formerly an orphanage, the building is historic and is furnished with antiques. It's located only a block off Main Street and is within easy walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Versailles is about twelve miles from Lexington, via a busy but beautiful four-lane highway.

The Woodford Inn's own restaurant, Addie's, is downstairs in the Inn. It is also excellent and has moderate prices and lots of traditional Kentucky dishes.

I have eaten and arranged meetings at Addie's but have never stayed overnight at the Woodford Inn. However, their staff is welcoming, pleasant and accommodating, and the downstairs public rooms are very attractively furnished. Check online for more info.

Due to poorly thought-out zoning regulations, Lexington lacks B and Bs, but you might also consider the Gratz Park Inn in historic Old Lexington, located off Second Street downtown. It's not inexpensive, but is small, beautifully kept, and also has a good restaurant, Jonathan's. It's also rumored to be haunted with several harmless ghosts!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,736,348 times
While you're checking out the Bourbon Trail, and your sweet tooth wants something, maybe you can check out the Doughnut Trail. https://mapsengine.google.com/map/em...w.kmHr_j94fi3M
I just learned of it today. Think I'd like to go to Nord's in Louisville for the maple bacon doughnut.
Nord's Bakery - Louisville's Stop on the Kentucky Doughnut Trail!
Look at #1.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'll ask around. Give me a few days. i'm sure other will weigh in with suggestions before I get back to you, but my wife and I will do our best to find something for you.
Thanks Albert! I am in no rush. Still about a month to go so anything you come up with would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 PM

7,081 posts, read 16,878,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmouth View Post
In July my wife and I are visiting Louisville to make a final decision on if I should take a job transfer and relocate. The plan is to make a week of it. I would like to go to lexington 1st for a couple of days and visit some distilleries and then head to Louisville where we would spend 3-4 days. I see a lot of B&Bs but I am hoping I can get some 1st hand recommendations for 1 in the lexington area and 1 in the Louisville area. I appreciate any input you can give. thanks!
Louisville is a wealth of dozens of amazing Band Bs. This site lists a few. Keep in mind there are several others in historic downtown Jeffersonville and New Albany and many more in Louisville's outer suburbs and surrounding towns (La Grange, Shelbyville, Bardstown, etc).

I personally liked the rocking horse:

Louisville Bed and Breakfast: Reviews of 17 B&Bs - TripAdvisor

This place will be stellar..the restaurant portions are cool german gastropubs, not sure if the "bed" part of the bed and breakfast open yet. Even if you don't stay there you should roam the area where it is located:

https://www.facebook.com/gralehaus

Keep in mind most of Louisville's bed and breakfasts are very dated. That is not a bad thing. They are meant to look like nineteenth century. Be sure to ask about room amenities, as some even have a "shared" bathroom. However, if you are more contemporary, modern type many of them will not be for you.

In that case, you really cannot beat some of the suite rooms at 21C, especially the rooms with balconies/saunas. They can be had on certain weekends using priceline and bidding around 200, which is a steal as this was rated as Conde Naste best hotel in the country until the owners (from Louisville) opened a new one in Cincinnati:

Condé Nast Traveler Readers Vote 21c Museum Hotels to Top 100 Hotels in the World - 21c Cincinnati

Apparently, they will be updating the rooms in the now about 7 year old hotel to regain the number 1 status.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/927541

Is also great and modern, and is a very walkable area that is quite up and coming. This area is especially fun around 7 PM on the first friday of each month:

Louisville Downtown Partnership

This is one of the more newly renovated BandBs:

Market Street Inn Bed & Breakfast | Jeffersonville, IN across the Ohio River from downtown Louisville, KY
It is cheaper since it is in Indiana. However you can walk across the Big 4 pedestrian bridge and be in downtown Louisville in about 45 minutes or 3 miles. Incidentally, downtown Jeffersonville and New Albany In have cute little downtowns with tons of little small townish shops and great restaurants.

If your time is limited, however, at least see and eat at 610 Magnolia, take a tour of Old Louisville. Go to the Ky derby Museum and see churchill downs. Go to the Slugger Bat factory. Do the urban bourbon tour and stop at the Evan Williams bourbon experience downtown. Eat Brunch at Hill Billy tea and have cocktails that weekend night at Meta. Eat at Jack Fry's in the Highlands, Varanese in Crescent Hill, and either Mayan Cafe or Wiltshire on Market in Nulu. Pick up a Tshirt from Why Louisville on Bardstown Rd, Coffee from Sunergos in Germantown and have a drink at Z bar or Nachbar after, and a cookie from Kizito cookies. Walk the 4th street tourist district and bowl at Sports and Social club.

If you like Cuban, check out Havana Rumba in St. Matthews and have some cocktails after at 60 West.

While Lexington is a fine town, let me pose a question. Would you visit Rockford if considering a move to Chicago? It is only an hour and a half away... It is kind of a similar thing. There is so much to do and see in Louisville that 3 days just will not do it justice. It may be nice to fly into Lexington and drive US 60 over, checking out Keenlend and the KY horse park on the way, and maybe stopping at a distillery on the way. But I would personally spend my 5 days in Louisville. Just as Rockford is nothing like Chicago, Lexington and Central KY are not very much like Louisville, no matter what some locals may say. Best of luck and KY is a great hidden gem kind of state!

Last edited by Peter1948; 06-06-2014 at 10:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 PM

I have been checking out the website for the Inn At Woodhaven in Louisville. Anyone been there? Thinking of booking 3 nights there.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 PM

7,081 posts, read 16,878,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmouth View Post
I have been checking out the website for the Inn At Woodhaven in Louisville. Anyone been there? Thinking of booking 3 nights there.
Nice place from what I heard. Never been. It is in a generuc suburban area...however nearby are outstanding local restaurants abd shops. avoid chains...louisville has too much local flair!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky