Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 8,619 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job interview for a position that would be on base (Fort Riley). We are not military and from what I have read, Manhattan is a good area to live. We have two young children and schools will be important in a few years. Is this a good place for families? What kinds of things are there to do? The only information that anyone has given me is that it gets very hot and humid Any area/neighborhood information would be helpful so that I can research a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM

25,967 posts, read 22,149,005 times
They also have snow and freezing. I think they had drought this year like most of the state. I remembered this was recently discussed so I copied the link for you and there are neighborhoods that you will not want to live in: https://www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...ns-please.html

Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM

71 posts, read 242,443 times
Manhattan is a great community; very friendly and despite its size, being a university and military town, it has more to do than most towns its size. Events: Manhattan Convention & Visitors Bureau. K-State Insect Zoo: K-State Insect Zoo | Kansas State University. New resident info: Manhattan, KS - Official Website - New Resident. Manhattan info: Manhattan Economic Development - Life in Manhattan. It is humid and hot here in the summers, but fall and spring is nice. Manhattan realty website: Manhattan real estate. Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM

5 posts, read 8,619 times
Thank you for your help and I appreciate that link to the older post. That is very helpful. I see the commute from base to Manhattan is about 35 miles. I am from southern CA and that commute here can take well over an hour each way. Would that be the same there?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,980,906 times
If your husband is going to and leaving base the same times as everyone else the traffic will be very heavy. I haven't personally been caught in that traffic so I don't have a good estimate on how long it would actually take. That and home football games are about the only time I can think of that traffic is really an issue. Especially compared with So Cal I would think.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM

51 posts, read 106,399 times
My commute from the West side of Manhattan to the Main Post is 15 miles and takes about 20-25 minutes.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM

197 posts, read 522,586 times
I live on post and HATE going to Manhattan, I try to avoid it at all costs during PT time, morning work time and release time. I swear it seems like it takes forever to get to Manhattan from post. Even though it really isnt far in distance it just seems like it takes forever to get there. But I guess the work should be done sometime in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: