Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times

Advertisements

So this is interesting. I was looking at that link and clicked on Maryland and they have a ton of nationally ranked high schools. So then I clicked on Kansas and I was expecting to see 10-15 high schools from Johnson County, but instead there were only four and only one from Johnson County. So here is the list of nationally ranked college readiness high schools for both MO and KS. Again, I always takes these lists with a grain of salt. But the MO list was no surprise at all with Lincoln College Prep followed mostly by affluent MO an StL suburbs. The Maryland high schools also make sense to me. But I am seriously a bit perplexed as to why Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission are not ranked nationally by this publication.

Search Missouri High Schools | US News

MISSOURI

1 Lincoln College Preparatory Academy KC Urban (Ranked 67 in the country)
2 Clayton High School Metro StL
3 Kirkwood High School Metro StL
4 Metro Academic and Classical High School StL Urban
5 Marquette High School (Chesterfield) Metro StL
6 Park Hill High School (KCMO Northland) Metro KC Ranked 849 in the country
7 Lindbergh High School Metro StL
8 West High (Balwin) Metro StL
9 Parkway South High School (Manchester) Metro StL
10 Staley High (KCMO Northland) Metro KC (Ranked 1184 in the country)
11 Mckinley Class. Leadership Ac. StL Urban
12 Park Hill South High (Riverside Northland) Metro KC (Ranked 1436 in the country)
13 North High (west county) Metro StL
14 Lee's Summit North High School Metro KC (Ranked 1639 in the country)
15 Central High (Chesterfield) Metro StL
16 Francis Howell High (St Charles) Metro StL
17 Webster Groves High Metro StL
18 Lee's Summit West High School Metro KC (Ranked 2098 in the country)
19 Central High School (Springfield) Springfield
20 Monett High Rural
21 Francis Howell Central High (St Charles) Metro StL
22 West Plains Sr. High Rural
23 Webb City High Rural
24 Lee's Summit High School Metro KC (Ranked 2446 in the country)
25 Francis Howell North High (St Charles) Metro StL

KANSAS

1 Rock Creek (St George) Rural
2 Libery Rural
3 Northeast Magnet (Belaire) Metro Wichita
4 Desoto Metro KC (Ranked 1921 in the country)

Last edited by kcmo; 12-10-2015 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 04:20 PM

404 posts, read 457,550 times
I don't see Center on that list! What a travesty! I have family in the Park Hill district and they talk it up all the time.

There are many great high schools that didn't make the list like blue springs, blue springs south, libery, liberty north, lees summit north, Platte and more. So I suppose the ks side schools are good like the mo side schools I mentioned but not nationally ranked good.

I always thought Center was a pretty good high school if you stay away from the troubled kids.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Wow. I don't know how April got in there. It was 8 million surplus in November, last month.
That's amazing. Also, kangaroos can't jump backwards.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
I think a lot of students cross over the State line after 8th grade if they are in private Catholic schools like St. Elizabeth's or Visitation in the urban core. My neighbors kids that all went to St. Elizabeth, 3 so far, have all gone on to high school at Bishop Miege in Roeland Park...their daughter will go next year. My nephew is finishing his last year at Visitation (8th grade) and is also going to Bishop Miege next year. I just wonder what other options are out there for high school kids, especially those that want a high quality education and the ability to play sports.
Rockhurst, St. Theresa's Academy, Notre Dame de Sion, Cristo Rey, Archbishop O'Hara, St. Pius X...My spouse is a Bishop Miege alum, and those are all parochial high schools serving KC, and options for families from St. Peter's, St. Elizabeth, Visitation, etc., if they choose to continue the parochial route. Those all fall under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, a Missouri diocese. Catholic high schools under the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas that serve the metro are(besides Bishop Miege) St. James, St. Thomas Aquinas, and Bishop Ward.

But, yeah, obviously, as these are all private Catholic institutions, things like state lines and diocesan boundaries have a completely different context than in the discussion at hand. That said, the above are those "other options" for parochial grade schoolers who wish to continue that type of education in HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City