Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 PM

105 posts, read 331,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnimouse View Post
Moving to Iowa has been both exciting and difficult. My husband was transferred here 2 years ago and I am really having a difficult time adjusting. The cold and lack of sunshine has really taken a toll on me making me depressed most of the time. I have never experienced depression like this. Has anyone else gone through something like this?
Its a good thing your not in Seattle then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,737,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
If you wanted to, you could go to Omaha's zoo or to Des Moines or Chicago for the day.
There are actualy allot of hidden places to see in Iowa that are kinda cool! The Grotto at West Bend and the Billy Clock musuem are two that come to mind fast...

Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 PM

14 posts, read 117,525 times
Oh, I feel your pain!

We are Californians who moved to Iowa several years ago. Couldn't stand it.

We returned to California two years ago and are happier than ever and Iowa is just a bad memory.

And, no - we didn't have to pay 800K to buy a 1200 sq. foot house when we returned. LOL

The cost of living is much cheaper in California too. An added bonus.

Think long and hard about staying in a place you don't like or feel comfortable in. There is nothing shameful about trying your best and making a mistake.

You are not the only one! You have the rest of your life to live.
Why be miserable?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 AM

49 posts, read 181,509 times
Gypsy has it right--joy can be found in the simplest things, and Iowa is full of simple pleasures.

Growing up in the country, I had to use my imagination to find joy. That was before all the video games and "soccer mom syndrome" hit. I hate to tell you, minni, but you'll need to pull up all the coping skills you have inside and "Learn to Bloom Where You Are Planted" if you live in Iowa.

Try to see something beautiful or even laughable every day about the "hellhole that is Iowa"...one far-away day you'll surprise yourself that you aren't trying to see it and just do.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,737,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Sam View Post
Oh, I feel your pain!

The cost of living is much cheaper in California too. An added bonus.
The cost of living is cheaper in CA?!?!?!?! Iowa has some of the cheapest utility rates in the country, California some of the highest. Same with the cost of houseing. Gas is cheaper in Iowa then CA, Food is cheaper. We left when our kids were getting school age. San Jose unified SD is crap. Our kids are getting a better education experiance then we could have expected out there.. If people have a hard time making the transition it's because they won't give up the West coast atitude of diversity at all cost and melt themselves into the midwest way of life.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,201,085 times
Default ...

Wow, I've never heard of California having a lower cost of living than even New York state let alone Iowa..

Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,127,051 times
California may be more expensive in places like LA, Sacramento and SanFrancisco but it may be cheaper in the country. Remember we have some of the highest state taxes (income and sales) and THE highest corporate income tax in the country. It all trickles down.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:58 AM

310 posts, read 1,283,021 times
there is no way in hell the cost of living in California is less than Iowa. What a bunch of bull.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM

154 posts, read 910,674 times
Quote:
there is no way in hell the cost of living in California is less than Iowa. What a bunch of bull.
Depends where in CA you live. Yes, cost of living in general is probably more here, but some of the jobs also pay a lot more. I was looking for Accounting jobs in Iowa and they were offering around $8 - $10/hr. Here in CA, that SAME job title pays between $15 - $20. So it all evens out I think. My rent is more here, but I also get paid quite a bit more. I was not "rich" in Iowa because it was so cheap to live. Quite the contrary, I was broke for some reason. Probably because our salaries were so low. Anyway, of course the simple things in life can make you happy, but sometimes, constant boredom can change a person. It did to me. I agree with the person who started this post. I was also very depressed when I lived there. I'm just trying to let her know she is not alone. And to Cactus Sam, I knew you would turn up on this thread! LOL!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,201,085 times
That's really odd because Des Moines and Omaha were listed in the top 10 in the nation for per capita power of the dollar..

What that means is buying power 'after' taxes and expenses are figured in..

I don't know what weird circumstance you had to make you live below your means than in california, which by the way most metros in california ranked in the bottom 50 in the US in buying power..

Last edited by ehenningsen; 05-29-2008 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa