Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times

Advertisements

You know that movie "Sleeping With the Enemy"? Wasn't that filmed in Iowa?

That was one beautiful town. Anyone know where it was? Or the name of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:07 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
I googled "Sleeping With the Enemy" and it looks like it was filmed (or at least takes place) in Cedar Falls, home to the University of Northern Iowa. I haven't been to their downtown in a couple years, but it's very cute and quaint, with quite a few interesting restaurants, local businesses (art) ... seems to be doing very well. Lots of historical homes downtown.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I googled "Sleeping With the Enemy" and it looks like it was filmed (or at least takes place) in Cedar Falls, home to the University of Northern Iowa. I haven't been to their downtown in a couple years, but it's very cute and quaint, with quite a few interesting restaurants, local businesses (art) ... seems to be doing very well. Lots of historical homes downtown.
I did not know that. I'll have to watch that movie again. Our daughter briefly considered UNI after being recruited by them but ended up not applying there.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 AM

I plan to watch that movie again too!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
^ The movie is set in Cedar Falls, but I don't believe any actual filming took place there.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
^ The movie is set in Cedar Falls, but I don't believe any actual filming took place there.
Makes sense ... I'm sure I would have heard about it if it was actually filmed there.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
I live in fort Dodge they are revamping it to meet the criteria of more jobs and cleaning it up a bit as well. Humboldt Iowa is pretty and just 15 minutes north, the community was very welcoming when I was thinking about moving there. Ames and Ankeny are beautiful as well with more diversity. Des Moines always has some sort of art festival or show happening and there are many small towns surrounding it. I was born in Osage Iowa and it is a very beautiful little town.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:51 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenelle View Post
I live in fort Dodge they are revamping it to meet the criteria of more jobs and cleaning it up a bit as well. Humboldt Iowa is pretty and just 15 minutes north, the community was very welcoming when I was thinking about moving there. Ames and Ankeny are beautiful as well with more diversity. Des Moines always has some sort of art festival or show happening and there are many small towns surrounding it. I was born in Osage Iowa and it is a very beautiful little town.
But only if you have a kid in wrestling or something. Osage is clicky little Peyton place. Full of self important people who have never been anywhere but there..... I avoid it like the plague (and my whole family lives there)

Old 05-12-2014, 10:55 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Have off this week, going to drive to Iowa to check it out, namely with Knoxville in mind, where there's a 3M plant since a person can move between plants without losing (benefits) seniority.

However, I'd go from paying zero state income tax in South Dakota to $2500 a year in Knoxville, so I want to see where my money would be going. In WI all the roads are paved, in IA they don't appear to be.. so the money must be going to Des Moines.. plan to give it a good drive through, check the overall quality of things and compare/contrast to SD.

I caught myself wondering also if it would be safe to swim in Red Rock Reservoir which is a manmade dammed lake of the Des Moines river just miles after it goes through a large city like Des Moines. I remember how polluted the Milwaukee river was, nobody swam in it and that was with much smaller cities along the river. Articles seem to suggest Des Moines river is polluted. The lakes here in eastern South Dakota are all pretty bad from farm runoff, but they are fine for fishing.

Report says Iowa

In any case looking forward to checking out the area, though I should probably stay put.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Have off this week, going to drive to Iowa to check it out, namely with Knoxville in mind, where there's a 3M plant since a person can move between plants without losing (benefits) seniority.

However, I'd go from paying zero state income tax in South Dakota to $2500 a year in Knoxville, so I want to see where my money would be going. In WI all the roads are paved, in IA they don't appear to be.. so the money must be going to Des Moines.. plan to give it a good drive through, check the overall quality of things and compare/contrast to SD.

I caught myself wondering also if it would be safe to swim in Red Rock Reservoir which is a manmade dammed lake of the Des Moines river just miles after it goes through a large city like Des Moines. I remember how polluted the Milwaukee river was, nobody swam in it and that was with much smaller cities along the river. Articles seem to suggest Des Moines river is polluted. The lakes here in eastern South Dakota are all pretty bad from farm runoff, but they are fine for fishing.

Report says Iowa

In any case looking forward to checking out the area, though I should probably stay put.

If I lived in SD I would stay there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa