Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,423,518 times

Advertisements

After Friday, this in the news this morning:

Stocks Mostly Lower As Credit, Profit Worries Escalate, but Bargain Hunters Re-Enter Market

NEW YORK (AP) -- Wall Street turned mixed in volatile trading Monday as investors pulled away from stocks amid worries about the credit and housing markets and disappointing corporate earnings.

The market remained uneasy although several companies including drug maker Merck & Co. and toymaker Hasbro Inc. reported decent third-quarter results. Investors were still mindful of the downbeat profit outlooks from some blue chip companies and Standard & Poor's downgrade of another series of mortgage-backed securities; those developments sent stocks plunging Friday, taking the Dow Jones industrials down 366 points.

Last edited by GreenMachine; 10-22-2007 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 AM

781 posts, read 3,823,263 times
Too funny....Fed mouth speaks and the market shoots up. The Fed can't rescue everyone.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 AM

14,045 posts, read 27,300,359 times
Eh...looks like a fairly priced market to me at this point in time. My expectation of a properly priced S&P 500, based on current and projected realistic earnings, is in the 1500-1530 range. Looks like it is on track to hit that, if somewhat ugly process. But long term investors will tell you that this isn't odd market behavior.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 AM

I see your point but in order to reach higher the previous lows should be retested.

It is an odd market in the case that "investors' are hoping the Fed will deliver them from the evil credit crisis and that is the wrong thing to do. More cuts will severely effect the dollar and that will cause more unstability. The market should be allowed to run its course w/o the Fed getting involved to the point that they are actually influencing the stock market as a whole.

JMO.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,423,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Eh...looks like a fairly priced market to me at this point in time. My expectation of a properly priced S&P 500, based on current and projected realistic earnings, is in the 1500-1530 range. Looks like it is on track to hit that, if somewhat ugly process. But long term investors will tell you that this isn't odd market behavior.
Dear NewToCA:

I have some retirement funds in a CD and Money Market. I want to start putting money into the Vanguard 500. When is a good time to do this, considering I need to make an initial investment of $3,000.

Thanks,

Greenie

Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,411,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
I see your point but in order to reach higher the previous lows should be retested.

It is an odd market in the case that "investors' are hoping the Fed will deliver them from the evil credit crisis and that is the wrong thing to do. More cuts will severely effect the dollar and that will cause more unstability. The market should be allowed to run its course w/o the Fed getting involved to the point that they are actually influencing the stock market as a whole.

JMO.
Yes, I think the summer lows should be retested, too. I was thinking this would happen in October before a holiday runup, but Fedspeak may put a temporary floor under the market. I agree that the market should be allowed to self-correct, but that would be too painful for some. The Fed keeps indicating that they will not allow this to happen, which means we'll go from bubble to bubble, manipulating the rates, sacrificing the dollar and providing a fertile breeding ground for inflation until... well, who knows how the endgame will play out?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:42 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,582,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
Too funny....Fed mouth speaks and the market shoots up. The Fed can't rescue everyone.
And by now, most the of the folks here onboard the USS Titanic should have figured out the lifeboats are only there for the 1st class passengers.

Anyone care to play to some shuffle board, or listen to the band play, whilst we watch the icebergs sail by?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Yes, I think the summer lows should be retested, too. I was thinking this would happen in October before a holiday runup, but Fedspeak may put a temporary floor under the market. I agree that the market should be allowed to self-correct, but that would be too painful for some. The Fed keeps indicating that they will not allow this to happen, which means we'll go from bubble to bubble, manipulating the rates, sacrificing the dollar and providing a fertile breeding ground for inflation until... well, who knows how the endgame will play out?
Agreed......right now the Fed is in control regardless of earnings and forward guidance.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Dear NewToCA:

I have some retirement funds in a CD and Money Market. I want to start putting money into the Vanguard 500. When is a good time to do this, considering I need to make an initial investment of $3,000.

Thanks,

Greenie
Responded to you in another thread where you posted a similar question.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
And by now, most the of the folks here onboard the USS Titanic should have figured out the lifeboats are only there for the 1st class passengers.

Anyone care to play to some shuffle board, or listen to the band play, whilst we watch the icebergs sail by?
Past 31 year performance of the Vanguard S&P 500 Fund (since 1976) is 12.23% return per year. This includes the crash cycles of 1987 and 2000:

https://personal.vanguard.com/VGApp/...BarChart=false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing