Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM

91 posts, read 169,026 times

Advertisements

It seems like google has gotten a little stale and search results are pushing me back to youtube or google apps or other google products.

True google does have some fun toys like google earth. but it is not core to what i need.

I have been using yahoo for the last couple of weeks it seems like they are attempting to play catchup with google. but the results are spot on.

Bing annoys me.

What search engine do you use? and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Google because it doesn't have ads, it almost always provides what I want in the first few lines, and I'm used to it.

Yahoo for the travel tool.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Google because it doesn't have ads
well.. that certainly is not true.

But I use google aalso. It always seems to come up with what i need it to. I use several of their other services as well.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM

621 posts, read 1,211,673 times
I use Bing and Google interchangeably. Why? Because, like most things in life, I like to explore all my options. Sometimes I find something on Google that I didn't find right away with Bing...but also, vice versa.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 PM

33 posts, read 56,749 times
99% of the time Google for me its fast and usually gives me the results on the first page. I never use Yahoo not for a long time but I have tried Bing and the results seem ok, I like the images section on Bing.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
well.. that certainly is not true..
I think you're right. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus enabled and there are no ads. I disabled it and some ads lines did appear off to the right - barely noticeable. The adds were pretty tame, just a couple lines of hyperlinked text off to the right side. Still, that's pretty good.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 AM

122 posts, read 197,478 times
I use both Google an Yahoo, I use Google for my shopping searches mostly an the odd lot kinda thing. But I prefer Yahoo for the local stuff .

Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,173,736 times
yahoo is what grandparents use when aol is down

Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,692,246 times
I only use google. I dont know whats better but google has been fine for me so never saw a need to use anything else.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,045,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
It seems like google has gotten a little stale and search results are pushing me back to youtube or google apps or other google products.

True google does have some fun toys like google earth. but it is not core to what i need.

I have been using yahoo for the last couple of weeks it seems like they are attempting to play catchup with google. but the results are spot on.

Bing annoys me.

What search engine do you use? and why?
Until recently I would have said Google forever. I've used Google as my default search engine for over ten years. It's been so long I can't even remember exactly what search engine I was using before I switched to Google. I agree Googles search results have become increasingly irrelevant over the years.

A good workaround I found was a Google Image search, to weed out the SPAM and other irrelevant results. Find a good relevant image, and use that to find the relevant related information on the host site. That worked pretty well for quite a while. But now what Google has done in the last couple of mouths to their image search, is nothing short of a crime IMHO. It loads so slow, and then all extra pointless clicking to close the popups, is not even worth it. It's nothing but a bad blatant ripoff of Bing anyway. Why would a company like Google copy Bing? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Google has lost all focus on what their roots are. That being a simple fast solution for finding information. Now it is just a blotted mess. Which is unfortunate for me, because I do over a hundred Google searches every day. Right now it's driving nuts. I miss the days when Google was one simple page.

I have Google Earth downloaded, but I really never have used it that much. It's just too slow. I do however really like Google Maps and Street View. I use it every day. Unfortunately I know that with the clueless twits that Google is hiring these days, they will ruin that too. It's just a matter of time before they have so many multiple layers of popup Google ads on top of the maps, that you wont see the maps, even if you could load all that crap into your browser.

So yeah, I'd consider switching to Yahoo. I hope they seize the chance to go head to head with Google, by improving their site and search results. Because somebody needs to take on Google soon.

Anyways, thats my rant about Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet