Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,685 times

Advertisements

Price of rent range is important if you want advice from us on c-d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:55 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Pike and Washington Township would meet your needs. The north/northwest sides of Indianapolis, but still in Marion county. Eastside has too much crime.
Much of the east side is as safe as anywhere else in the city.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Much of the east side is as safe as anywhere else in the city.
Seems like there's alot of shootings on the Eastside.

Please be specific on eastsde areas that are as safe as anywhere else in the city; otherwise its a crap shoot and not very helpful to anybody looking for a safe place to live.. The Eastside is a large area that covers several square miles and stretches from east of Meridian Street out to eastern city limits and from the far northside to the far southside, basiclly half the town.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Seems like there's alot of shootings on the Eastside.

Please be specific on eastsde areas that are as safe as anywhere else in the city; otherwise its a crap shoot and not very helpful to anybody looking for a safe place to live.. The Eastside is a large area that covers several square miles and stretches from east of Meridian Street out to eastern city limits and from the far northside to the far southside, basiclly half the town.
I was as general as the comment I was responding to.

As far as specifics, anything south of 21st Street in the 46219 and 46229 zip codes I would consider safe. 46239 is safe. 46201 is an urban area that has safe areas within its borders. I live in 46201. I've never been shot. Some of the apartment complexes are sketchy on the eastside, but the same can be said of all sides of the city.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 PM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
There are safe areas on the eastside; but for someone new to the area, who as a mixed family would feel comfortable, I would suggest Marion county north of 56th street. Central or west, still better than east. I would also suggest south of Washington as a border, not south of 21st, for someone who has not lived here before. Would also suggest avoiding Lafayette Square mall (westside) and Washington Square Mall (eastside).

Old 04-08-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
There are safe areas on the eastside; but for someone new to the area, who as a mixed family would feel comfortable, I would suggest Marion county north of 56th street. Central or west, still better than east. I would also suggest south of Washington as a border, not south of 21st, for someone who has not lived here before. Would also suggest avoiding Lafayette Square mall (westside) and Washington Square Mall (eastside).
Based on what? Have you ever been within a mile of Washington Square Mall?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Based on what? Have you ever been within a mile of Washington Square Mall?
When I worked for Naval Avionics in the 70s, I lived at 38th & Mithoeffer, 21st & Post, and right next to Washington Square. The northside is nicer than the eastside. Eastside has been on a thirty year decline, it is not what it used to be, when it was my favorite side of town.
If we disagree, so be it.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
When I worked for Naval Avionics in the 70s, I lived at 38th & Mithoeffer, 21st & Post, and right next to Washington Square. The northside is nicer than the eastside. Eastside has been on a thirty year decline, it is not what it used to be, when it was my favorite side of town.
If we disagree, so be it.
The 70s?? That was 40 years ago!

Washington Square is not what it once was, but dangerous it is not. You are no more likely to be attacked there than anywhere else in the city.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
The 70s?? That was 40 years ago!
It seems like yesterday.
If I were going to recommend a part of the city based on shopping, pick the northside or Greenwood.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:05 AM

698 posts, read 234,503 times
I have lived in Greenwood for many many years. Love it.
Quote:
It seems like yesterday.
If I were going to recommend a part of the city based on shopping, pick the northside or Greenwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis