Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 AM

45 posts, read 88,983 times

Advertisements

It took forever to get a Wal-Mart approved in Bloomington. They do not want big box stores. They don't even want I-69.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Wal-Mart I can understand. I-69...it would depend on the route of it (I assume it would just follow SR 37 which was going to be upgraded to a freeway even without the I-69 designation).

Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 PM

45 posts, read 88,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Wal-Mart I can understand. I-69...it would depend on the route of it (I assume it would just follow SR 37 which was going to be upgraded to a freeway even without the I-69 designation).
Yes, It's already there. The signs just say SR37.

The new terrain route will run from the SW side of Bloomington into Greene Co. All that will destroy is some crappy old trailer parks!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 14,064 times
I do not think Meijer will ever open a store here, I believe they looked at a property once and the planning commission chased them away. Bloomington is very anti development. The only reason Target is here is because they replaced the building that was once Ayr-Way. Notice that cities of a similar size such as LaFayette and Muncie have many more stores that Bloomington does not have.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mappyjames View Post
I do not think Meijer will ever open a store here, I believe they looked at a property once and the planning commission chased them away. Bloomington is very anti development. The only reason Target is here is because they replaced the building that was once Ayr-Way. Notice that cities of a similar size such as LaFayette and Muncie have many more stores that Bloomington does not have.
It seems weird that Bloomington would allow Wal-Mart but not Meijer.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM

35 posts, read 76,212 times
It has been a few years since I've been there, but Bloomington had 4 Krogers, 4 Marsh supermarkets, at least 1 O'malias, Sams club, Walmart, Aldi, and a bunch of ethnic food markets. I'm not sure what role a Meijer would play in a place like that. I guess aside from Walmart there are no other big box stores that have both groceries and department store items.

As others have said, I have also heard Bloomington tries to keep out the big box stores and has tried to keep Meijer out.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:37 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Chung Hee View Post
It has been a few years since I've been there, but Bloomington had 4 Krogers, 4 Marsh supermarkets, at least 1 O'malias, Sams club, Walmart, Aldi, and a bunch of ethnic food markets. I'm not sure what role a Meijer would play in a place like that. I guess aside from Walmart there are no other big box stores that have both groceries and department store items.

As others have said, I have also heard Bloomington tries to keep out the big box stores and has tried to keep Meijer out.
Park--O'Malias shut down in 2014. That space is now vacant. Target (also in B-ton) carries grocery items. Several years ago they expanded the space to include more frozen and fresh items. There have not been 4 Marsh stores for at least 6 or 7 years. The space that Marsh occupied on the southside of town is being renovated for a smallish chain called Lucky Market (or something like that). Whole Foods is expected to open a store at/near College Mall next year or late this year.

Honestly, I could care less about a Meijer.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
If Whole Foods comes to Bloomington in 2016, I wonder how it will affect Bloomingfoods. Rumor has it, that Meijer's
is coming to Bloomington. It certainly has more to offer than Walmart and the Target in B-town is not a Super Target
(which has a much larger grocery section and more products).

Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 PM

35 posts, read 76,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Park--O'Malias shut down in 2014. That space is now vacant. Target (also in B-ton) carries grocery items. Several years ago they expanded the space to include more frozen and fresh items. There have not been 4 Marsh stores for at least 6 or 7 years. The space that Marsh occupied on the southside of town is being renovated for a smallish chain called Lucky Market (or something like that). Whole Foods is expected to open a store at/near College Mall next year or late this year.

Honestly, I could care less about a Meijer.
I never really visited the O'Malias. Were there more than one? I know there was one on the east side near the mall and CVS. They seemed like an upscale Marsh, and being a broke college student I didn't visit much.

I thought Marsh had 4 locations. West side, east side, north side and midtown. I didn't know there was a south side one. Are you talking about the one on college and walnut? I always referred to that as the midtown one (to me south side was that Kroger on College/Walnut that is a mile south of town). Sucks that one is gone.

Are there still 4 Krogers?

Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Yeah, I refer to the Marsh that was at Walnut and Winslow as South. The one on the North side is still there as is the West and East side stores.There were 4, now 3.

Yes, still 4 Kroger stores.

There was only one O'Malia's. I just didn't put in the apostrophe. It was owned by the same company that owns Marsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana