Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,023 times

Advertisements

So with family issues, local hospital lack of steps to my food intolerance/ allergies etc.... my interest in attending out of state universities have increased. Im basically looking for a insight on West/ Lafayette, Indiana. Such as what is there to do, malls, etc.... Just anything you think a future college student is interested in knowing.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times
For Shopping:

Shopping Lafayette IN Indiana + Outlet Mall - City Guide

Tippecanoe Mall at Indiana Find Shopping and Services: Shopping Centers and Malls: Tippecanoe Mall

Recreation:

Tippecanoe County Indiana : Parks & Recreation Department

Library:

Welcome to Our Website

I would checkout these websites. I hope they are of good resource to you.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,335 times
You can find plenty of things to do if you look but it sort of depends on what you are looking for. There is one mall which is average--and you can take a bus from campus. There are some good chain restaraunts and non chain restaraunts. The nightlife is typical campus faire including the famous Neon Cactus which has a piano man and dancing etc. There are some good parks and trails. Cost of living here is relatively cheap.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,185 times
Timeofseasons,

I'm a Purdue Alumna (2004) and would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Lafayette/West Lafayette area. There are some nice parks (if you like the outdoors) as well as your major chain restaurants, mall and stores. I especially enjoyed the downtown Lafayette area (with a walking bridge over the Tippecanoe River to West Lafayette) which was very scenic. In terms of activities on campus--there is tons to do. I was lucky to be a photographer for the local college newspaper, the Exponent and got to attend a lot of Big Ten Sports (basketball, football, etc.), and music and theater events. As for the college campus area, you've got a variety of food selections (Chinese, Greek, Indian, Americana) and plenty of bars (Neon Cactus, Where Else?, Chumley's, Harry's Chocolate Shop). I recommend eating a burger at TripleXXX (known for their peanut butter and hamburger combo). Downtown has some nice places as well. The Knickerbocker is more of a pub/live music/comedy type local bar. Bistro 501 is more upscale, swanky martini bar. Nick's is a wonderful pool hall that serves drinks. There is also the Lafayette Symphony Orchestra, the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette, and handful of festivals (Spring Fest and Bug Bowl; Feast of the Hunter's Moon; LayFlat Arts and Music Fest).

Good luck, and if you want to know more about the university or the area, just drop me a line at lostpenny@yahoo.com.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 AM

231 posts, read 701,104 times
Wink oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpenny View Post
Timeofseasons,

I'm a Purdue Alumna (2004) and would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Lafayette/West Lafayette area. There are some nice parks (if you like the outdoors) as well as your major chain restaurants, mall and stores. I especially enjoyed the downtown Lafayette area (with a walking bridge over the Tippecanoe River to West Lafayette) which was very scenic. In terms of activities on campus--there is tons to do. I was lucky to be a photographer for the local college newspaper, the Exponent and got to attend a lot of Big Ten Sports (basketball, football, etc.), and music and theater events. As for the college campus area, you've got a variety of food selections (Chinese, Greek, Indian, Americana) and plenty of bars (Neon Cactus, Where Else?, Chumley's, Harry's Chocolate Shop). I recommend eating a burger at TripleXXX (known for their peanut butter and hamburger combo). Downtown has some nice places as well. The Knickerbocker is more of a pub/live music/comedy type local bar. Bistro 501 is more upscale, swanky martini bar. Nick's is a wonderful pool hall that serves drinks. There is also the Lafayette Symphony Orchestra, the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette, and handful of festivals (Spring Fest and Bug Bowl; Feast of the Hunter's Moon; LayFlat Arts and Music Fest).

Good luck, and if you want to know more about the university or the area, just drop me a line at lostpenny@yahoo.com.

I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself in Lafayette/West Lafaytte. Congrats and Good Luck with the chose of your studies that you graduated on.
The river the bridge goes over though is the WABASH...lol!

Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks for replies and email link, which I will use if I have any present time questions about Purdue University.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 PM

21 posts, read 86,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
So with family issues, local hospital lack of steps to my food intolerance/ allergies etc.... my interest in attending out of state universities have increased.

May I ask what type of food allergies you have? I'm not a medical expert, but West Lafayette is fairly small, especially compared to other college towns, I think anyway, so I think they are even less likely to have specialty foods that you may require.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 PM

I think I may be gluten intolerance or/ and monosodium glutamate intolerance.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazsGirl View Post
May I ask what type of food allergies you have? I'm not a medical expert, but West Lafayette is fairly small, especially compared to other college towns, I think anyway, so I think they are even less likely to have specialty foods that you may require.
I think I may be gluten intolerance or monosodium gluamate intolerance, or some other health problem... could just be immune system.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 11,335 times
There are two health food grocery stores in town, you should have no problem finding what you need food-wise. There are Wal-Marts, a Meijer, and several Pay-Less stores (which are really Kroegers). There is a gluten intolerance support group in town, too.

I have to add the obvious...whaddya mean, things to do? You'll be in school, studying!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana