Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,540 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what these areas are like? Are there any greenways, or historic cutesy downtowns there? How about the parks? Do they take advantage of the riverfront at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 AM

can anyone help me out here?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 PM

92 posts, read 500,175 times
Jeffersonville and New Albany both have historic downtowns - but Jeffresonville's is nicer with more options ofr a lunch or shopping. Look up Schimpffs Confectionery on google, it's in dt Jeffersonville, and it is pretty great.

New Albany, Clarksville, and Jeffersonville are currently constructing the Ohio River Greenway - which will be a 10 mile walking path along the river between the 3 cities, but it is still u/c.

Clarksville has Ashland Park along the river with a gorgeous view of the skyline of Louisville - couples will often sit on the benches at night and walk over to the Widow's Walk Ice Cream Parlor in summer. Jeffersonville also has an amphitheatre on the river and a barge for concerts. New Albany has a small lookout in ther dt as well, but not as big as in Jeff or Clarksville. There are also several restaurants along the river with skyline views in Jeff.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:24 AM

Jake, thank you so much for replying to my thread, do the people in Louisville visit the Indiana side often? or vice versa.....I know they are only divided by a bridge, I would imagane at rush hour it is a nightmare, but what about the weekends and such? The neatest thing I can think of is when I move to Louisville is checking out all the riverfront communities along the way.....lots of eye candy for awhile......lol.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Jake, thank you so much for replying to my thread, do the people in Louisville visit the Indiana side often? or vice versa.....I know they are only divided by a bridge, I would imagane at rush hour it is a nightmare, but what about the weekends and such? The neatest thing I can think of is when I move to Louisville is checking out all the riverfront communities along the way.....lots of eye candy for awhile......lol.
yes, it is a bistate metro area. Many ppl in Louisville joke about not crossing the bridge but many do for jobs and other things. More importantly, people in indiana heavily rely on the city for jobs (just like all suburbs do). the river is nothing more than a political boundry if you really look at the map. Traffic is bad on the I-65 bridge. But the 2nd street bridge and the 64 (sherman minton) bridge rarely have traffic, even at rush hour. They plan to build a bridge in the east suburbs to connect to 265 in Indiana to resolve some of this.
The historic areas near downtown jeff and New albany are very affordable. jeff has cleaned their downtown up nicely and they have some quaint shops and condos on spring street. The Oak Hill area just east of downtown jeff is a really nice historic area. It is very safe and nice. New Albany's downtown is a bit more run downtown, but still has lots of hidden gems. It is also very safe, and there are some beautiful and well maintained homes off silver street in new albany. Further out, the nicest suburban areas in Indiana are around 265 and the Charlestown Road exit. The area around the Veterans Parkway exit of I-65 is also nice and super close to downtown, but you may have to fight I-65 bridge traffic. Overall, Indiana has more retail and jobs than many of the other counties that surround Louisville, while being closer to downtown Louisville. Its sort of like living in a small town with a view of a big city, more so than the exurbs surrounding Lville in Oldham or Bullit counties in KY.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:51 PM

Wow styx that was very interesting, would u happen to know of the zipcodes there in the historic areas, so I can look them up on the rentals, and realty sites.......Would love to be near the action in the downtown area, if not there, I would like to be near lots of things in Louisville

Old 04-13-2007, 12:50 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,942 times
Riverfront Park on the Louisville side is quite a bit better than the riverfront on the Indiana side. Sometimes they have concerts there, usually around the 4th of July. Also Thunder Over Louisville which takes place on April 21st this year is a popular event in which hundereds of thousands of people turn out to watch about a 30 minute firework show. It never really did much for me, but a lot of people seem to like it a lot. You can get a good view from either the Louisville riverfront or Indiana side.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Wow styx that was very interesting, would u happen to know of the zipcodes there in the historic areas, so I can look them up on the rentals, and realty sites.......Would love to be near the action in the downtown area, if not there, I would like to be near lots of things in Louisville
New Albany's zip code is 47150, Clarksville's is 47130, and Jeffersonville's is 47129. (This is the Indiana side.) I'm not sure about the Louisville side, I'm not real familiar with their zip codes.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,325 times
I might be moving to Jeffersonville within the next several months and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to look for a small house or duplex that is around $400/month. I haven't had any luck so far finding anything online. I would like to be in a good neighborhood and within 10-15 minutes from town. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana