Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonegirl View Post
Hi there....
We currently live in Colorado. My husband might be getting a new job in Seymour and we are trying to decide if we should take that position when it is offered. Can anyone tell me about the area? What is the community like? What are the schools like (We have two children that are 1 & 3)? What is the housing like? Any information would be appreciated that would help us make this decision. We were about to have a new home built here in Colorado just as this job offer came about - so we are trying to decide if we should stay here on the path we were on.... or if a move to Indiana would be better for our family!
Thanks in advance.
Manchester Indiana is one of the top rated elementary schools in Indiana. Its not far from seymore but its a tiny "town" with only one 'store' and one gas pump. All those things are the reason the school is good, the classes are small so teachers have time for the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaByrd View Post
Manchester Indiana is one of the top rated elementary schools in Indiana. Its not far from seymore but its a tiny "town" with only one 'store' and one gas pump. All those things are the reason the school is good, the classes are small so teachers have time for the students.
North Manchester is 2+ hours from Seymour ... North Manchester is by fort Wayne. Seymour is about an hour + south of Indianapolis.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:25 PM

67 posts, read 134,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNAWAYFROM View Post
Stay away from Seymour. If you are new and do not know anybody you will be a target for petty theft scams. Stay away from locally owned restaurants especially. Do not bother calling the police about much of anything. They have better things to do. Like making money. I hope this offends because it is true. Try making friends and you might discover that they are also trying to fleece you. They like to spread their poison to surrounding communities as well. The people that sit in church each week are the worst of all.
This kind of blows my mind, but maybe not totally, lol
My moms side of the family is from Seymour.
Spent many summers as a kid there, so perhaps i'm a little biased in not experiencing too much of the negative.

I do however remember it was incredibly boring and seem to remember not really seeing anyone in their yards or doing outdoor type stuff. My other grandparents lived in Nashville, and for a way smaller town, it
seemed less cliquey and had a better vibe about it.

Would you care to comment more specifically about the 'poison' that gets spread to other communities?

Just wondering.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 PM

261 posts, read 418,476 times
I am shocked at so many negative comments about Seymour. I never been there but I pictured it as a nice friendly little town of about 15,000 people, conveniently located about half way between Indy and Louisville. I can't believe it's as bad as they say it is. If I was gonna live in a small town, I wouldn't have any problem moving to Seymour.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
My wife and I are thinking about moving to Seymour for a position at the hospital so I thought I would revive this thread. Looks like most responses have been negative, but it is nearly two years old so I was hoping to get some fresh insight on what living in Seymour is like.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:56 PM

531 posts, read 453,457 times
Default I like Seymour, but not enough to stay

It seems a friendly town to me. Perhaps it's because I'm a grandson of a local farmer. I go into the Wal-Mart and everybody looks kinda the same -- and kinda like me. I've lived at my present address three months and have had conversations with the neighbors, when it was warm enough to sit out on the porches.
There's a train track one block away from where I now live, and the improving local economy means they're running trains in the middle of the night, blowing their whistles at the level crossings. Some people claim they sleep through it. I can't.
Not much to do and not many amenities. The usual chain stores, including one Starbucks. There's a good cafe in my neighborhood and one downtown, two bar-and-grills next to the hospital. Lots of vacant storefronts downtown and pathetic small businesses without customers.
A good place for Victorian architecture. Not for rehabbers, though, unless you do the work with your own two hands. The contractors are "Billybobs" who can't do anything other than K-section and sheetrock. Housing is plentiful and cheap. The temporary help agencies are always advertising factory jobs.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:08 PM

251 posts, read 175,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonegirl View Post
Hi there....
We currently live in Colorado. My husband might be getting a new job in Seymour and we are trying to decide if we should take that position when it is offered. Can anyone tell me about the area? What is the community like? What are the schools like (We have two children that are 1 & 3)? What is the housing like? Any information would be appreciated that would help us make this decision. We were about to have a new home built here in Colorado just as this job offer came about - so we are trying to decide if we should stay here on the path we were on.... or if a move to Indiana would be better for our family!
Thanks in advance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mellencamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc

Are you guys sure you "warsh" your clothes and drink "pop" around here, or what?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:28 PM

196 posts, read 175,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
It seems a friendly town to me. Perhaps it's because I'm a grandson of a local farmer. I go into the Wal-Mart and everybody looks kinda the same -- and kinda like me. I've lived at my present address three months and have had conversations with the neighbors, when it was warm enough to sit out on the porches.
There's a train track one block away from where I now live, and the improving local economy means they're running trains in the middle of the night, blowing their whistles at the level crossings. Some people claim they sleep through it. I can't.
Not much to do and not many amenities. The usual chain stores, including one Starbucks. There's a good cafe in my neighborhood and one downtown, two bar-and-grills next to the hospital. Lots of vacant storefronts downtown and pathetic small businesses without customers.
A good place for Victorian architecture. Not for rehabbers, though, unless you do the work with your own two hands. The contractors are "Billybobs" who can't do anything other than K-section and sheetrock. Housing is plentiful and cheap. The temporary help agencies are always advertising factory jobs.
Reigniting this old thread again but I have a question for you.. I'm moving to Seymour in a couple of weeks and am looking at a couple of older houses in the area, specifically one that would appeal to a "rehabber"; a hundred year old Queen Anne.

I'm not getting much positive info about the area at large but are you serious that you can't find a contractor out there who knows anything? This whole move is looking more bleak. Finding a turn of the century home was the most exciting thing about this move for me seeing as how I'm moving from brown and dirty El Paso, TX

Personally, I give a rats butt about church people or how well I'll fit in to the community; I don't expect to regardless. I am worried about my 14 year old son though.. He's going to suffer around rude people, racists and bigots. He's a sweet kid with a laid back but colorful personality. I may have to home school.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 AM

196 posts, read 175,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Don't believe the negative crap you read on the Internet. 9 out of 10 times its stories made up by people who have never lived there but are just trolling.
You'll be fine. Guarantee it.
The AIDS epidemic and opiate junkie articles were so unnerving.. I'm really counting on finding a house where I can finally create my own Nirvana. I've been looking and found a really old house that needs fixing up. It's gorgous! There's nothing like this in either of my last two places of residence. I want it so bad.

615 N Chestnut St, Seymour, IN 47274 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 11-22-2016, 07:50 PM

531 posts, read 453,457 times
Sorry I didn't get back to you in April, but that's when I was moving from Seymour to Richmond.
Apparently you didn't buy 615 N Chestnut, since the local guy who bought my house (next door) in October had an offer in on 615. He said he would have to put a new foundation under 615. It is a great house. Again, the reason I sold out was that I couldn't get any work done. I can't say I'm getting any better help in Richmond, but my mansion here (and that's what it is) doesn't need nearly as much work. Are all building-trades people dopeheads or do they just act like it?
If you have a job in Seymour, it's where you should live. Columbus is more interesting and more expensive. Muncie has a downtown McDonald's with the original "Speedy-Serve" sign (they've taken down the 15-cent price, of course) and BS University, but there are more good houses in Anderson and Richmond, many of them dirt-cheap. Indianapolis has been the pay-sex capital of the Midwest since Civil War days and is keeping up its reputation.
Let us know if you're living in Seymour and how it is to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana