Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good place in Indiana for a single female that might be hiring teachers within the next year? I moved out of Indiana to Yuma, AZ to find a teaching job 3 years ago. Like a lot of people, I find Yuma to be a real hellhole. I wanted to move out of Indiana because I thought the grass would be greener on the other side. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! Yuma makes Indiana look like paradise. Everytime, I come back home to Indiana, I realize that it is a beautiful place and miss living there terribly. Working as a teacher in Yuma is horrible!!! I love the children I work with but the schools are ran very poorly. The teachers basically have no support at all. I am being forced to take a pay cut and lose my health insurance because I didn't find out until today that I haven't met all the AZ certification requirements. They won't give me an emergency certificate even though the department of education web site says I qualify for it. I have to start the year as a long term sub. I can't afford to be without health insurance because I am sick all the time from the farming. I am sick maybe 2 or 3 times a month because they spray the fields and set them on fire. It really stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:53 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Wow, sorry about your predicament. You really need to zero in on where you may want to settle. I met a young new teacher last week who is still waiting for an assignment. She is living in downtown Indy and is willing to fan out wherever she can find a job in the metro area, there are a large number of school systems in this part of the state where she could easily commute from Indy. She said that she has to be ready at a moment's notice because schools don't necessarily have openings until the last minute either (maternity leaves, retirements, attrition). You may want to consider metro areas like Indy, NW Indiana and Fort Wayne so you can cast your net out as far as possible.
Good Luck. This state needs great teachers.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
If you take a look at CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site , there are quite a few positions available right now with a broad "Indiana" search for "teacher." With a quick scan it looks like within and around Indianapolis are several opportunities. I'd also search on "instructor" as well.

Regarding Yuma, it is sheer coincidence but I have family that moved from Indy to Yuma just a few years ago - LOL, I thought you might have been one of them at first since your story mirrored some of what I've heard. If I were you I'd chose my next job & associated location much more carefully (I definitely wouldn't rush into it - moving is expensive and a hassle). From what I've heard of Yuma, indeed, I'd question the reasoning why you went there and be certain not to apply the same reasons again.

Good luck with your job search.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Default Moving back

It doesn't sound like Blue just moved there in a heartbeat. When you can't find a job where you live, sometimes, you have to move.
Telling someone to stick it out where they are, and then they become destitute because they cannot find work isn't a good answer.
I would advise finding a job here in Indiana before one moves back, as the economy isn't all that great here.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Default Ps

Everyone, and I mean, everyone, knows about Careerbuilder, Monster, Yahoo jobs, etc. etc. and all the various searches for jobs in their specific professions online. It's really redundant to post that.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Everyone, and I mean, everyone, knows about Careerbuilder, Monster, Yahoo jobs, etc. etc. and all the various searches for jobs in their specific professions online. It's really redundant to post that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
It doesn't sound like Blue just moved there in a heartbeat. When you can't find a job where you live, sometimes, you have to move.
Telling someone to stick it out where they are, and then they become destitute because they cannot find work isn't a good answer.
I would advise finding a job here in Indiana before one moves back, as the economy isn't all that great here.
LOL - what did I do to anger you Twix? I was just trying to be helpful to someone who asked for help.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM

46 posts, read 154,716 times
Default Indiana teaching jobs

Hi,

Have you checked out Indiana's Dept of Education website?

Indiana Department of Education

Click on Looking for a Teaching Job? on the left side closer to the bottom, right above Find it Fast

Good luck!

(Sorry I don't really know where a "single" teacher should be looking for a job. I wouldn't limit yourself to just Indy though.
I know several "single" teachers who moved to our small town and met and married here.)

Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy*mom View Post
Hi,

Have you checked out Indiana's Dept of Education website?

Indiana Department of Education

Click on Looking for a Teaching Job? on the left side closer to the bottom, right above Find it Fast

Good luck!

(Sorry I don't really know where a "single" teacher should be looking for a job. I wouldn't limit yourself to just Indy though.
I know several "single" teachers who moved to our small town and met and married here.)
I will definitely check out the web site. I moved to Yuma 3 years ago because I had no teaching experience. It was hard at the time to find a job in Indiana with no teaching experience. I have started my 4th year of teaching and I definitely think it is time to leave this town. Many professional people leave Yuma after a few years of experience because truthfully, this town sucks. I definitely plan on trying to find a job first before returning to Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana