Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 PM

98 posts, read 279,362 times

Advertisements

I don't get it its nice and quiet yet is building up nice,good schools,all have a drive less than hour from Chicago. The chicago Bears even do there traning camp out that way. To me its up and coming Bourbanais is really on the way up Momence I have a 3000 sq ft home 3 car garage in town nice vic home in great shape for 155k. updated etc,im just not naming my house there so many in diffrent areas that offer diffrent things. i also might rent that home to there is rentals to. Its like a un kept secret of this state low taxes at 6 per cent low propert taxes,and the commute isnt bad?? Why arent more from the nrth coming down its not that far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 29,459 times
I'll have to tell my mom to check out this area. She's looking for a place for around $150,000 with lower taxes. This area might be perfect for her. Any idea on where to look that's nice and safe?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:48 AM

220 posts, read 675,808 times
I wouldn't recommend Momence or Grant Park because of their schools, the best areas of Kankakee County are Bourbonnais, Bradley, Manteno and Limestone Township.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Momence has that small towen feel yet your by 2 high ways its like a secret nice town mostly restored older homes that are restored. Mine i take 150 k for its a 2 story in downtown momence right off dixie hwy. They have a Gladiolius Festival it parades right by my house its a 5 day thing that keeps it going. Its a river town my house in the Momence book a book written about momence shows pictures of the orignal owners and the house etc..
Momence Gladiolus Festival

Its a quiet safe town and with in driving distance to all you need any help just ask its right by the river to,my home is 3sq ft might be a bit big but low taxes at 6 percent low property tax,and the cheap gas its hard to pass up!!

Out of all those towns Momence has the river,the charm of a small town 10 minutes away from everything great schools to!! Check it out sometime!!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Momence's test scores are amongst the lowest in the area, hardly a great school. IMO

If one is looking at schools, Herscher, BBCHS and Manteno are clearly the best.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Wait -- you ask why more people aren't looking at Momence, Bradely, etc., and then the very first thing you say is that the area is building up nicely. Wouldn't that suggest that plenty of people are, in fact, looking at the area?

Sure, it's an hour's drive to Chicago. At three in the morning.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM

The drive from Kankakee County into the city is about the same away as far away suburbs as Yorkville, Joliet and Gurnee.. Its probably the best value in the Chicagoland area.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:10 PM

Herscher is far out there Momence in fact has good schools and a river nice homes both older and new and its close to 2 highways. The commute isnt that bad. You dont have to leave at 3 am lol

Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 PM

We live along the river, in a MUCH, MUCH nicer area and our kids go to Herscher schools, which are MUCH nicer. JMO, but Momence is dirty and has a LOT of problems.

As for the comment about "Herscher being far out there", depends where you live.. If you live in the Joliet/Plainfield area, Herscher is closer and Momence is way out there.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 PM

49 posts, read 369,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons99 View Post
We live along the river, in a MUCH, MUCH nicer area and our kids go to Herscher schools, which are MUCH nicer. JMO, but Momence is dirty and has a LOT of problems.

As for the comment about "Herscher being far out there", depends where you live.. If you live in the Joliet/Plainfield area, Herscher is closer and Momence is way out there.

You are so full of crap. I live in Momence and its not a dirty town. Furthermore Herscher it out in no mans land. Herscher is a town thats located in between Kankakee and dwight. Its sits in the middle of corn and soybean land. You way out from anything happening. Let me be specific. You have to get on 17 go east to get to K3 there isn't anything there. Bradley/Bourbonais is a hike. Or you can go the old farm road and come in to southside k3. Momence on the other hand is a STRAIGHT 15 MINUTE SHOT TO ALL THE ACTION. Bradley and Bourbonais. Let me be specific. Get on Second street go west highway all the way to Bradley/Bourbonais. Its a combination town. Its has historical old victorian homes and also new construction. Example new construction across from jeneir elementary school and also fairly new construction behind Finer Foods. I don't even lock my doors at night. I also leave the keys in my car when going to finer foods or the dollar general Store. Also we have the lowest price gas in Kankakee County. A gas station called gas depot is always lower then any other gas station in the county. Ok lets talk manteno and Bourbonais. Get ready to bust out the Check book at property tax time. I own a 3 bedroom home detached two car garage my taxes 2600 last year. My sister leaves same size home in Bradley she pays 4400 in property taxes. Manteno property taxes have also reason. There is nothing wrong with Momence schools. Besides less competation if your really smart. Go away herscher your full of crap and you know it. Not to mention. When it snows they are all over my subdivision. Also one day a week. You can leave tree branches on the sidewalk and they grind them up for free. Also in fall just rake leaves on your sidewalk they come by and suck them up. Chicago bears training camp from momence. Straight shot. Like i said get on second street go west stay on it 17 minutes hello ONU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois