Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 08:15 PM

341 posts, read 412,675 times

Advertisements

I have asked a lot of questions on city data and I got a lot of haters. But I am going to give this a try anyway. I might be getting a job near MCLEAN, IL. I know it is home to the Dixie truck stop. I know it is near Blooming, Normal, Peoria, Champagne and Urban. If I move there, I want to stay in the country close to MCLEAN as I can. I will make around $30,000 a year. I have no kids, no wife and no debt. I do have some saved up. Can I live on this? I have not found much rentals in the area, unless I go towards Blooming, Normal, Peoria, Champagne and Urban. If that was the case I might as well stay at were I am at. Anyone know anything about the area? Other then the NON-Google stuff? Why does City-Data only have Chicago and Chicago suburbs? Thank you and Happy Easter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 04:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
You must understand Il is mostly general farm land outside Chicago. Shirley, Leroy, Funks Grove, and Goodfield are within about 10 miles or so of Dixie Cafe. They are small farm towns. It is always easier to buy a home in a small farm town than it is to find a place to rent == primarily because there are few rentals. The towns are generally 12 to 20 miles apart in central Illinois. And it is isolated. There is not much congestion.in traffic or neighborhoods.
This area is much closer to Bloomington than it is to Peoria or Springfield. McLean County is the largest county in the state You might consider Eureka, but it is probably too far away. The cost of living in the county is slightly higher, but taxes are lower and you will save money in not driving a long distance to work. .

Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You must understand Il is mostly general farm land outside Chicago. Shirley, Leroy, Funks Grove, and Goodfield are within about 10 miles or so of Dixie Cafe. They are small farm towns. It is always easier to buy a home in a small farm town than it is to find a place to rent == primarily because there are few rentals. The towns are generally 12 to 20 miles apart in central Illinois. And it is isolated. There is not much congestion.in traffic or neighborhoods.
This area is much closer to Bloomington than it is to Peoria or Springfield. McLean County is the largest county in the state You might consider Eureka, but it is probably too far away. The cost of living in the county is slightly higher, but taxes are lower and you will save money in not driving a long distance to work. .
[SIZE=3]Happy Easter and thanks for the reply. I am talking about McLean, IL the village not the county. You ever been to McLean? I might be getting a job that is $15 an hour that comes out to about $30,000 a year. Can I live in the area on that? I notice in from pictures and videos there is a small triangle downtown. Some of the stores have second floors. Are those more commercial or residential? Thank you. [/SIZE]

Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
[SIZE=3]Happy Easter and thanks for the reply. I am talking about McLean, IL the village not the county. You ever been to McLean? I might be getting a job that is $15 an hour that comes out to about $30,000 a year. Can I live in the area on that? I notice in from pictures and videos there is a small triangle downtown. Some of the stores have second floors. Are those more commercial or residential? Thank you. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am trying to relocate to a small town. I currently live in a suburb of Chicago, IL with a population of 60,000. I just like small towns. First I would need a job before I relocated. The smaller the better. One issue is I noticed most small towns housing is all owned there are few options for rentals. Do people still rent out top barns to live in or is that just a TV/movie thing? Anyways I do have some saving and no major debt. I have no kids or wife of my own. Ideally I like to stay in less then a days drive to Chicago land, because that is where my family (brother, parents etc) live. My civilian background is in early childhood and my military background is in the military I did put in for a few small town jobs. Just waiting to hear back. For more details on some of the small towns I applied to just ask. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thank you and Happy Monday,[/SIZE]

Old 03-28-2016, 12:48 PM

Yes I know where McLean is. Your salary will give yhou about $2500 [er month gross. COL is nothing like Chicago. I live rural in a 6 room house I own. My monthly expenses for car & house insurance, utilities including phone, net, tv, and mortgage is about six hundred. I live in town on a lot that is larger than one-half acre. My experience has been that my mortgage is usally half of what it would cost me to rent a one bedroom apartment anywhere in the Midwest. .

McLean ounty has a large windfarm that helps to keep the clost of residential utilities low. How much of the county enjoys that is unknown to me. l have not been in McLean County to live or visit for a number of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post

Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yes I know where McLean is. Your salary will give yhou about $2500 [er month gross. COL is nothing like Chicago. I live rural in a 6 room house I own. My monthly expenses for car & house insurance, utilities including phone, net, tv, and mortgage is about six hundred. I live in town on a lot that is larger than one-half acre. My experience has been that my mortgage is usally half of what it would cost me to rent a one bedroom apartment anywhere in the Midwest. .

McLean ounty has a large windfarm that helps to keep the clost of residential utilities low. How much of the county enjoys that is unknown to me. l have not been in McLean County to live or visit for a number of years.

[SIZE=3]I applied for jobs in towns ranging from 19,000 population to 1000 population. Anything we have no discussed you think I should know? May I ask the population of the town you currently live in? [/SIZE]You think small towns are better then small towns? Since you live in a small town may I ask what you do for a living? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:52 AM

Default I might be getting a job in McLean, IL. Looking for an apartment in McLean, IL (the town not the county). Maybe an eff

I might be getting a job in McLean, IL. Looking for an apartment in McLean, IL (the town not the county). Maybe an efficiency or studio. I even settle for barn room. Trying to stay away from Bloomington/Normal. It is just for me. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you. Also, how is the tap water in McLean and were does it come from?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:57 PM

The town I live in is about 2000 population. Water sports, fisihing and hunting are thebig deal. There are more farmers than ranchers with 1000 acre farms. Right now many are concerned about the influx of purple periwinkle or maybe it is nightshade in the fields. n any case it is invasive. in Peoria there was a bomb acare at the airport. I'm starting to see the summer events pop up in the area. Some of the largest events are the state fair at Springfield, Spoon River Drive in Fulton County, TT Finals at, and the annual juried Art fair in Peoria. If you like theater you might like theater you might enjoy the Dinner Theater at Red Barn II at Goodfield. It should
\ opining soon for the 2016 season. And oc course there will be the obligatory cook off contests. And all of this is typical little town America. But once you move 50- miles east of the Illinois River you will find less trees and more concrete,whilst the rolling hills dissolve slowly into miles of flattened Illinois prairie

If the above does not appeal to you then you will most liely be happier in a larger community as there is not much other choice if you work in McLean. However in this area it is not uncommon for workers to drive 30-50 miles to work or car pool if the price is right.-- in which ase you might be looking at Eureka, Bloomington, Lincoln, or even Morton -- 6000 - 90000 population.

I'm retired. I've had a home in central Illinois for over 70 years. We can learn from each other.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The town I live in is about 2000 population. Water sports, fisihing and hunting are thebig deal. There are more farmers than ranchers with 1000 acre farms. Right now many are concerned about the influx of purple periwinkle or maybe it is nightshade in the fields. n any case it is invasive. in Peoria there was a bomb acare at the airport. I'm starting to see the summer events pop up in the area. Some of the largest events are the state fair at Springfield, Spoon River Drive in Fulton County, TT Finals at, and the annual juried Art fair in Peoria. If you like theater you might like theater you might enjoy the Dinner Theater at Red Barn II at Goodfield. It should
\ opining soon for the 2016 season. And oc course there will be the obligatory cook off contests. And all of this is typical little town America. But once you move 50- miles east of the Illinois River you will find less trees and more concrete,whilst the rolling hills dissolve slowly into miles of flattened Illinois prairie

If the above does not appeal to you then you will most liely be happier in a larger community as there is not much other choice if you work in McLean. However in this area it is not uncommon for workers to drive 30-50 miles to work or car pool if the price is right.-- in which ase you might be looking at Eureka, Bloomington, Lincoln, or even Morton -- 6000 - 90000 population.

I'm retired. I've had a home in central Illinois for over 70 years. We can learn from each other.

Thank you for your response.

I have a job interview in McLean, IL next week. No it is not at the truck stop and no it's not a farm job. McLean is a small town yet it has big town feeling do to the truck stop and I 55.

Looking for an apartment in McLean, IL (the town not the county). Maybe an efficiency or studio. I even settle for barn room. Trying to stay away from Bloomington/Normal. It is just for me. Any ideas or suggestions? Also, how is the tap water in McLean and were does it come from?

I want to live in the country. How far is Goodfield from McLean? I know there are apartments in Goodfield yet it is a small town.

Also I heard in central IL there are some maple syrup farms and some wineries. In McLean there is a truck stop and an 80's arcade

I heard about the bomb scare in the Peoria Airport. I am in the National Guard and been to the air/army guard armory at the Peoria Airport.

Thank you,

Tom
tgpii@yahoo.com

Old 04-02-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:

I know about the wind farm the National Guard has a training site in Marshalls, IL. It's in the middle of the wind farm near a nuke plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois