Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 17,904 times

Advertisements

Any one from my old beloved corps? How 'bout White Tornadoes Momence?
I'm very interested in starting The Blackhawks up again as a all age corps. Seniors have gone all age. Any one interested? Also looking for any and all memorabilia from the Blackhawks - White tornadoes.
Roy T George Jr.

Last edited by borntobugle; 09-11-2006 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: addition to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 08:51 PM

64 posts, read 425,036 times
I was a member of the Quad City Knights, which was formally known as the Geneseo KNights, which was formly known as the Kewanee Black Knights.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 17,904 times
Default Knights

Yes, I remember them well. We competed with Kewanee ... They were also one of the corps who competed at the Momence Gladiola Festival every year. Remember the White Tornadoes of Momence? The Blackhawks and W.T. merged in 73.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,955 times
Default Blackhawk - Tornado

Hello,

I am a 20 year DCI judge orgininally from Momence and also author of a new book called "Around Momence. One of my chapters is about the Glad Festival and includes a number of photos of drum corps in the parade. I have also acquired a few photos of White Tornados in the 60's both guard and D&B.

I dont' know about restarting a corp in Kankakee County (difficualt in today's drum corp environment) but I would be willing to send you photos of the pictures I have.

Kevin McNulty

kevinmcnulty@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,887 times
Default played bugle too

Hey,
Sharon Eldred here. I too, was a member of the Blackhawks. You know, old Earl Morin is still alive & living out south of Kankakee in the big farmhouse across from the old AO Smith factory. He isn't in very good health these days. He has a lot of stuff from back in the day, including recordings of us, our old bugles, pictures, etc. He's still listed in the phone book too. E-mail me & let me know what's up with you. (spowell56@peoplepc.com)...Sharon

Old 04-28-2007, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,872 times
Default Looking for Drum Corp Fans

Hi, my name is Pam and we use to have a cottage in Momence and even before I was born my Grandparents and my mom went to the Gladiola Festival and they always went to the Drum Corps Shows. I use to march with Illiana Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps. from 1978 to 1981. I practiced with Phantom Regiment from Sept. 1984 to May 1985, but I didn't go on the field with them, personal problems with one instructor. I then marched with Unlimit'd Time Senior Winter Guard from 1990 - 1998 I also marched with Vanguard Senior Drum Corp from Chicago from 1991 to 1992. I then marched with Kilties Senior in 1999. If anyone would like to chat please let me know. Also, my boyfriend and I are still with the Midwest Color Guard Circuit.

Last edited by Pammy Pooh; 04-28-2007 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 8,794 times
Default Drum Corps is my NASCAR

My name is David Korup and I marched with both the White Tornadoes and the Kankakee Blackhawks. It was an experience that has influenced my entire life. For me, drumming is a way of life. I have been presenting rhythm-based, arts integration programs in schools all across the U.S. Arts integration is a fancy way of saying that I use drums and percussion to teach kids how to read & write with greater confidence, understand math and science concepts, and develop a well rounded appreciation of the world round us.

For the past 13 years, I have been making a full-time living from my drumming. It has been an amazing adventure thus far. I am living in Baltimore, though I still have family in K3. A Cavaliers fan since 1971, it is exciting to continue following the action via going to shows all over the place, as well as following the news on-line at Drum Corps International :: Marching Music's Major Leagueâ„¢ - 86. Like I stated in my message title, "Drum Corps is my NASCAR." Having lived in Charlotte NC for almost ten years before moving to Baltimore, NASCAR is king, but not to me!!!

Hope to hear from some of the folks I use to march with.

David Korup
Daveed's Drumfest! (broken link) (my website, check it out. You folks can hear and see what I've been up to).

Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,467 times
Smile Royal Grenadiers Alumni and Instructor Here!

Hi,
I came across the above posting and was interested enough that I felt compelled to join this site and respond to it.
I am a former marching member and instructor of the Royal Grenadiers. As an original Grenadier I also became familiar with the names and a little bit of the history of some of our marching forebears-that is-our drum & bugle corps ancestors, i.e. the Blackhawks (both senior and junior) and the White Tornadoes, as well as the Lancers and the Challengers.
I also am a past marching member of the Royal Airs from Chicago who I joined in the late winter of the season for which they were reconstituted to perform an exhibition at the DCI Championships in 2002 to honor the memory of and to commemorate their late founder's and director's posthumous induction into the DCI Hall of Fame. I also marched a few parades with the exhibition corps that followed the initial alumni corps.
Oops! I'm out of time at this library. I'll continue later at another location.
Dan Leonard
jackdanjoe@yahoo.com

Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,857 times
Hi Roy George
I marched in the color guard of the Blackhawks
Cathy Messier
always wondered how you were and what you were up to.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,921 times
Played the sop with the Black Hawks in the early 60's. Some of the best days of my youth were spent with them at the American Legion in KKK and in parades and the field. Would love to have a reunion sometime and catch up with everyone.
John Hughes
Sesser, Il.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois