Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 AM

3 posts, read 16,007 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relocation to southern Idaho. In researching really liking the Pocatello area. We are in the MIdwest now and heat with wood. We would like to be able to continue to do that. Where do locals get wood in idaho for heat or is that not something that is feasible?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:29 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
It is feasible as there was someone who was one digit off of my old landline number since I would continually get calls. I would check both the newspaper and the Thrifty Nickel and Craig's List as well.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Other than cleosmom's good suggestions, another possibility would be to find the local tree trimming companies and find out what they do with their wood. Some of them may sell to someone who keeps it for a year drying it out and then sells it off as firewood. I know one that does that here in Boise.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 16,007 times
We have just started checking on relocation sites and now i am beginning to rethink since t his is so important to us if NOrthern Idaho would be a smarter choice. Any thoughts? We want to have a sustainable small farm with wood heat, farm animals, (we will basically be moving our farm of small herd of goats, horses, chickens and our lovely cats and precious 2 dogs boxer and great Pry and soon coming Great Bernese) I homeschool so schools aren't so much an issue but husband owuld like to go into a power plant job as that is what we will be leaving. I thought the Pocetto plant would be a good option but now?.....

Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Your choice of SE Idaho or N ID might be made for you by where there is a job opening. You most certainly want that lined up first and then I'm certain the rest can fall into place. Also, with having more than two dogs, yes even out int he county, check the laws. I know here in Bonneville County you must acquire a non-commercial kennel license if you want more than two dogs.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 AM

17 posts, read 56,832 times
People don't really buy wood here, most get a permit from the BLM and go cut wood themselves. Pocatello has serious air pollution issues in the winter, with several no burn days enforced. Please do not contribute to our already over polluted air and water. Yuck. We also have a kennel license law, no more than two dogs without the license. Homeschooling is extremely popular here, most are Mormon, but there is also a Christian homeschooling group here in town.

Sounds to me like Inkom or Blackrock might be more your style than Pocatello, they have a lot less restrictions. Inkom also has some serious pollution problems but they are mostly linked to a cement factory that has dramatically cut production since the housing market decline.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
A lot of Boy Scout troops sell firewood.
professional woodcutters advertise regularly in the local papers, and will either haul to your place or you can do your own hauling.
The upper valley has lots of woodcutters. Once one gets to know you, they will contact you, so you don't have to do much hunting for some cords after the first year.

Another good source of firewood are the pole yards and log cabin builders. We have several in and around Idaho Falls. This wood can be slightly more expensive, but most has been milled and cut to length, so there is very little waste, and no further cutting needed. The pole yards will split logs as well.

There are lots of wood stoves sold in I.F.- they will also know who's cutting wood. While natural gas is quite cheap here, so relatively little wood is used to heat inside I.F. city limits, it sounds to me that you want to buy a few acres in the county, and there are no restrictions on burning wood that I know of.

Of course, the job situation will be important. Jobs are hard to find all over the state right now, but the I.F. area is slightly brighter in this than what I've been able to gather about N. Idaho. We have a diversified economy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho