Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 11:14 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,910,367 times

Advertisements

I've test driven: Honda Fit, Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3, Nissan Versa, (all too small) Toyota Camry, Honda Accord Ford Focus, Jetta Sportwagon, Subaru Legacy Hatchback, Hyundai Elantra.

I liked the Legacy the best. BUT it has AWD and they are a little high priced for me and hard to come by.

So I'm going with the 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring (wagon). It is the pretty blue, the interior is much nicer than my old Subaru Forester. It will carry my kids stuff to camp or college. It will hold my daughter's surfboard. It will merge onto a highway without getting her killed.

My mechanic said it will need new tires and new rear brakes 'sometime soon'. I drive less than 8K miles per year, so my 'soon' might be later than most. The tran pan has a small leak (bolts need tightened), front parking light bulb is out, LCD odometer display is shot and the cigarette lighter doesn't work.

Car Fax is spotless.

The sticker price is 10,900. KBB says $9225 in average condition, $9484 in better condition. I was thinking of starting with $9000 with the intent of getting $9750. (I have asked my ex to conduct the negotiation for me)

If anyone has any info re: this car that I need to know, or suggestions to offer, I'd be happy to hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 6,878,972 times
The car in general should be good but not the specific one you are looking at. With every used car, how the previous owner maintained it is most important at this one seems to have been neglected with the laundry list you give, esp for a 2012. I don't know how many miles this car has. If you are buying this car from a dealer in this condition, then the dealer seems to not care about what they sell either or they should fix all the issues.

If this was the last car left to buy, I will offer lower than the "fair" condition price and move on. KBB is inflated anyway. Also look on edmunds.com for pricing and get the true market value, deduct for repairs.

For one, the transmission pan would need that gasket changed, I was never able to fix a leak with re-torquing the bolts. You will have to pay for new ATF/etc.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:39 PM

omg, I forgot to say, the car has 65K miles. It is squeaky clean.

The mechanic didn't think the brakes or tires had been neglected. The car was regularly serviced at a local dealer. It's all on the Carfax. come to think of it, I don't think my mechanic puts anything on Carfax.

As for the little things, In my experience, once the car is purchased, they have them fixed before you pick it up.

I would be curious to know how much that LCD display repair would be. Sometimes things like that seem small but by they time they disassemble the whole dashboard it adds up. maybe replace instead of repair.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,699,716 times
Some of the Elantras with the 1.8 (Nu) have had issues with some type of coating coming off the cylinder liners, many folks have had their engines replaced under warranty. They are also known for releasing a huge plume of blue/gray smoke when under heavy throttle, to my knowledge Hyundai has never given an explanation for this.

Massive Smoke Behind Car!!! - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

If you're dead set on a Hyundai/Kia I recommend finding one with the 1.6 Gamma engine, as they seem to be more reliable. The Hyundai Accent and Kia Soul use that engine.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Some of the Elantras with the 1.8 (Nu) have had issues with some type of coating coming off the cylinder liners, many folks have had their engines replaced under warranty. They are also known for releasing a huge plume of blue/gray smoke when under heavy throttle, to my knowledge Hyundai has never given an explanation for this.

If you're dead set on a Hyundai/Kia I recommend finding one with the 1.6 Gamma engine, as they seem to be more reliable. The Hyundai Accent and Kia Soul use that engine.
THANK YOU! Apparently the problem with the LCD odometer display is a bigger deal than I imagined. some people have had that thing replaced 2-3 times, and once the warranty is up, it cost them $900. I don't know why an aftermarket odometer wouldn't do the job, and now I'm starting to think I don't want to know.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Is there a model year of the Elantra Touring that doesn't have these problems? Has it been corrected?

Old 08-07-2016, 10:15 PM

9,456 posts, read 11,208,166 times
Try ElantraClub - Elantra Owner and Enthusiast Community Home Page those folks are steeped in Elantra lore.

Also try www.truedelta.com regarding reliability histories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia