Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,781,121 times

Advertisements

And as a bonus the whole roof is a patio! In addition to building a home I was also doing demolition many years back and I learned a lot about structures. It's easy to knock over any building with a wood roof, using a track loader. But add a poured concrete roof and the job becomes 4 times harder. With larger buildings you can knock out columns and let gravity do the work, but concrete and steel really hold up. I am a big fan of reinfoced concrete and no matter where I move I will build the same way.

Look around Florida, all the schools from the 50's were concrete, especially in Miami. The ones not demolished still remain in very good shape. Not one of them was destroyed by hurricane Andrew. Same goes for old Southern Bell central offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

262 posts, read 938,804 times
I would love to have a hurricane-proof house. But I'm not so sure we could just kiss off the insurance companies since, sad to say, those aren't the only threats.

There's the problem of lightning strike, and that can do a number even on well-built CBS homes unless the roof is concrete. Even then.... ? That's 2 million volts smacking into the house and possibly traveling right through the electric wires, causing a massive meltdown.

And tornados. Whereas even a cat5 would rarely have sustained winds of 200+ mph, a tornado can exceed 300 (although quite unlikely in FL). And even if your home could withstand an air-assault like that......

There's the ever-popular sinkhole collapse. That's not so uncommon here; in fact, Pasco County's insurance problem is made worse by the sinkholes that are so common there. And they'll get worse, I'll bet. The more strain we put on the water systems, the more gets pumped out of the aquifer, weakening the limestone that the state rests on.

Sheesh, I wish we could build in such a way that we could eliminate need for insurance. And think of the problems solved by having hurricane-proof communities.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM

670 posts, read 1,745,688 times
Talking Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And as a bonus the whole roof is a patio! In addition to building a home I was also doing demolition many years back and I learned a lot about structures. It's easy to knock over any building with a wood roof, using a track loader. But add a poured concrete roof and the job becomes 4 times harder. With larger buildings you can knock out columns and let gravity do the work, but concrete and steel really hold up. I am a big fan of reinfoced concrete and no matter where I move I will build the same way.

Look around Florida, all the schools from the 50's were concrete, especially in Miami. The ones not demolished still remain in very good shape. Not one of them was destroyed by hurricane Andrew. Same goes for old Southern Bell central offices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Go to any building site and look at any mid floor poured slab, pretend that's the roof. I poured hundreds of them using forms. Most all condos I ever worked on we poured concrete slab roofs. Just build a house the way you build a parking garage and you have a strong house that isn't going anywhere.

Thanks guys!
I will go and look macguy.
Great help both of you!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM

326 posts, read 471,609 times
florida is by no means alone when it comes to hurricanes! hurricanes have hit new york, new jersey, connecticut, texas, louisiana, mississippi, alabama, hawaii, the carolinas; as far as i recall, one even brushed our nation's capital! also, from what i have seen, many homes in south florida are made of concrete block, a sturdy material that performed exceptionally well in hurricane andrew. (I highly suggest you read the book; "the scariest place on earth" by david fisher.)

Old 05-14-2007, 08:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,304,727 times
I would love that...the other thing is I want a REALLY big generator like about the size of a car...directly wired into the breaker box so when (not if) the power goes out, I will have that for backup...then of course I would want my own well and septic system...its not just what happens during the hurricane that is a problem, its also what happens afterward while they are trying to repair civilization.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 PM

460 posts, read 2,346,466 times
YES! I want a hurricane proof house too!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM

670 posts, read 1,745,688 times
Exclamation With respect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
florida is by no means alone when it comes to hurricanes! hurricanes have hit new york, new jersey, connecticut, texas, louisiana, mississippi, alabama, hawaii, the carolinas; as far as i recall, one even brushed our nation's capital! also, from what i have seen, many homes in south florida are made of concrete block, a sturdy material that performed exceptionally well in hurricane andrew. (I highly suggest you read the book; "the scariest place on earth" by david fisher.)
I drove to Homestead with the first caravans of Florida Power and Light at 4:30 AM the morning that the expressways were opened after Andrew (2 days after.)
I rode a motorcycle the day after Andrew. I was the only vehicle on the road in all the time I rode (90 minutes.) Trees and branches stopped the cars from moving. The down power lines stopped everyone else who was sane.

I saw things you would not beleive. Trust me on this one.

p.s.
Remember, Andrew was a miss (a near miss) as far as Miami is concerned
(20 miles South of Miami.)
If a cat5 like Andrew hit the any of the cities above at full strength dead center, casulties would be into the thousands (Includes New Orleans, another near miss.)

Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,201,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
YES! I want a hurricane proof house too!
It's not a fantasy google concrete homes or ICF homes. The cost is not really any more the a stick built home.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,781,121 times
And if you have a generator, DO NOT rely on gasoline. Use a free fuel instead like tires or debris. If I stay in Florida and fix my parent's Team Metro hassles you can come look at my place which will be hurricane ready, and if I go upstate drop by for a few games on my lanes!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 PM

326 posts, read 471,609 times
[quote=jbravo;717462] I saw things you would not beleive. Trust me on this one. QUOTE]

I can imagine, especially hearing that Andrew even tore the radar off the roof of the National Hurricane Center!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes