Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:15 PM

185 posts, read 653,318 times

Advertisements

We stayed during H Gorges. The police got on their bull horn wanting us to evacuate. We did and went to a school shelter. The driveway was horseshoe and the ones in front wouldn't move there car, but had a gab fest with other friends coming in. I got out and asked them how high they thought there car would go up the flag pole? Will soon find out if you don't move it! That did it and we came home, and took the bare essentials out of the car. Just for the heck of it I drove down to the end of our street. Our neighbors were eating popcorn, drinking beer, watching TV. I think we were the only ones that left. If it got to bad I'd be hitting the roads. I'll say one thing about Wal-Mart, during H Wilma our east side Wal-Marts let ones with RV'S from the east coast stayed in the parking lot. There were about 60 RV'S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM

185 posts, read 653,318 times
One thing I learned during hurricanes and power outages is, the Chinese restaurants cook with propane anyway, and the I WOK was open for business during H Wilma.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:25 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,432,069 times
Category 1 = child's play. sleep through the night.

Category 2 = go to your friend's house furthest from the coast, and have a party.

Category 3 = prepare properly, board up big time, and gather most important belongings.

Category 4-5 = get out of town!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:26 PM

300 posts, read 1,015,614 times
Dude I wanna expirience a hurricane, where are they ?

Some Cat 2 would be nice @ Miami.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:34 PM

247 posts, read 1,291,104 times
I rode out both Cat 2 and 3 storms in my house with no problems. If we had a Cat 4 I might have considered leaving. And definitely for a Cat 5. We lived in Broward County when Hurricane Andrew ravaged Dade County. So we only weathered the outskirts of that storm. It scared us half to death. I would never stay in a Cat 5, it's just not worth it.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,743,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Category 1 = child's play. sleep through the night.

Category 2 = go to your friend's house furthest from the coast, and have a party.

Category 3 = prepare properly, board up big time, and gather most important belongings.

Category 4-5 = get out of town!
This is about accurate for many Floridians. Believe me, and the party- many people have "hurricane parties" during hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Dude I wanna expirience a hurricane, where are they ?

Some Cat 2 would be nice @ Miami.
Think before you speak dude!!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 AM

5 posts, read 10,815 times
Man, im from the UK and am not used to all this hirricane talk. Im movign t florida in the coming months for a few years I reckon, gonna have to get used to it i guess! x

Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,981 times
I'm one that can't evacuate so here's how we do it....
Cat 1, 2, 3...stay home
Cat 4 and 5 we go to a central location....the building's been around for 50+ years so it's not going anywhere.

My house was built in 73, I'm not in a flood zone (you'd better call Noah if mine floods) I had a few shingles blow off and lost some screens on my back porch.

I do realize just how lucky we were to be on the west side of town and missed the brunt of all three.

Feel out your neighbors and see what they do also.

I do suggest you make your hurricane box. We have one and pull it out the end of every June.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM

732 posts, read 4,159,850 times
Lived here 18 years and never left my house for any of the hurricanes. Unless the power was out I was on my computer for the past 8 years worth.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,445,992 times
I've since moved, but during the 35+ years I lived in Florida I only evacuated once, for Andrew, and all things considered we could have ridden that out.

We were about 15 to 20 miles inland, so short of a category 5 hitting us dead on we wouldn't have left. Lots of wind, rain, and the possibility of a tornado I guess. But we never had a problem. I was the 5th generation of my family on Marco Island. My mother and her family weathered Hurricane Donna when she was a little girl on the island. Because of her memories of that my mother always evacuated if it was going to be any where in our general vicinity on the Gulf Coast. My sister and I didn't though. My sister even stayed just off Marco Island during Andrew.

In all honesty, the only thing I do miss from living in Florida is the hurricanes. We always had hurricane parties. Tons of fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes