Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM

13 posts, read 31,024 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are a Florida family that is looking to relocate to the Huntsville area. I am having a heck of a time locating information about Alabama Reciprocity with other states and availability of teaching jobs in Huntsville area. My husband has taught elementary school in Florida for 10 years. He recently became certified to teach all subjects; Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies for Middle School. I graduated with a teaching degree from an accredited school in December, have taken and passed all the required tests (for Florida), and have applied for a Florida teaching degree. I am also Middle Grades and I am also 'eligible" for Florida certification.
It looks like this area has not been as traumatized as my area in Florida with budget cuts and there are some jobs available here. I would love to hear the REAL story from anyone who teaches in the area and any advise as to whether we would be able to find jobs. Also, If someone know where to look for the Huntsville City Salary Schedule that would be great!
P.S.- We have both filled out the Teach Alabama forms and we are working on the separate, (ugh....!), forms for Huntsville City School Districts.
Thank you SO SO much!
Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 12:31 PM

142 posts, read 675,665 times
Default 3 school systems

There are 3 school systems in the Huntsville area.

1. Huntsville City Schools
http://www.hsv.k12.al.us

There is a link for employment on their site with Job Vacancies listed.

2. Madison City Schools
http://www.madisoncity.k12.al.us

Also a link for employment on their site with Job Vacancies listed.

3. Madison County Schools
https://www.madison.k12.al.us

Also a link for employment on their site with Job Vacancies listed. From the employment pages, there is a link for salaries.
http://www.madison.k12.al.us/personnel/SalarySchedule/Index.htm

Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 PM

298 posts, read 716,557 times
Here is some information from the Alabama Department of Education:

ALSDE - Document Download (http://www.alsde.edu/html/sections/doc_download.asp?section=66&id=5373&sort=15 - broken link)

According to the information at this link - "Certificate and experience recognition may be available to individuals who hold valid professional certification in other states. The experience requirement is based on that of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement in effect on the date the application is received in the Teacher Education and Certification Office."

There is a link to download the "Alabama Teacher Certification - General Information". There are other links on the side to more specific information.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:27 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,194,575 times
Reciprocity has been kind of a mess over the last few years with AL constantly changing their rules...of course they will need to evaluate your credentials and your education.

Huntsville area schools have been some of the tougher to get hired in because they are some of the higher paying districts in the state; therefore there is a lot of competition. As an example, I used to teach for the Madison County school system. When I was hired, I was one of roughly 100 new teachers hired into the district that year. We were told there were over 10,000 applicants that year for positions. Don't know how accurate that was, but that's what the Super's office told us at new teacher orientation. Don't let that discourage you--I was an out of state guy with a few years experience elsewhere and I got in.

As of today, the districts are still uncertain as to personnel needs for next year due to state budget uncertainties. Once they know for a fact what their money situation is, they'll know what they can do. The districts, particularly Madison County, and Madison City (which used to be part of Madison County Schools) are growing and are expected to continue to do so. Some neighboring districts are laying off so that is expected to increase competition for open slots.

I'll see if I can't find a payscale for HBOE for you...

Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Thank you all very much for the information! Skinem-Great, that is just what I wanted to hear, some one has managed to come from out of state and was employed! YEAH! I think my husband has some great things going for him. He has ten year's teaching experience at the elementary level and recently certifed to teach math and science in the middle school setting. I know being a male can sometimes help but who know's! I can always substitute untill I have my certifications worked out. We will be coming up after pre-planning is over down here (you all get out about two weeks before we do) and checking out the area. It seems that Huntsville City School system is the only one that requires extra applications other than the Teach Alabama forms. OH.... There is just so much paper work! It is worth it though, the Florida school system is simply imploding in on its self and I really don't see much end in sight! I appriciate all the advise, work, and time sending along these links! Thanks again.... please feel free to add any suggestions or comments about this, I need all the help I can get! Shannon

Old 05-24-2009, 11:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
Substituting is a good way to go. That way, you get to know some of the principals, and they are more likely to hire someone they know. At least, that's what I'm told.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:13 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,194,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Substituting is a good way to go. That way, you get to know some of the principals, and they are more likely to hire someone they know. At least, that's what I'm told.
Yes, that's right--good point--I forgot to say that.
Try to get some face time with the principals.

The simple fact that your husband is certified in math and science will be huge. There's always a need for those folks.

Oh, also, if your husband has any coaching experience or skill, even better. Principals looooove guys that'll do both.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 PM

I found out today that despite what the school board websites AND the Alabama Department of Education websites say, my husband cannot accept a job until his Florida certificate is an Alabama certificate which will take more than 8 to 10 weeks and requires he take a, I AM NOT KIDDING, basic skills test for Alabama. He has taught for over 10 years! He is certified to teach both math and science. Both web-sites say he only needs to be ELIGIBLE for a certificate. Per the guidelines on both websites he is. BUT! We have completely different info. from the certification lady at the Department of Ed. today. WOW! I really don't know what to say about all this new info... I guess we just have to rethink our relocation! Bummer.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommydebs View Post
I found out today that despite what the school board websites AND the Alabama Department of Education websites say, my husband cannot accept a job until his Florida certificate is an Alabama certificate which will take more than 8 to 10 weeks and requires he take a, I AM NOT KIDDING, basic skills test for Alabama. He has taught for over 10 years! He is certified to teach both math and science. Both web-sites say he only needs to be ELIGIBLE for a certificate. Per the guidelines on both websites he is. BUT! We have completely different info. from the certification lady at the Department of Ed. today. WOW! I really don't know what to say about all this new info... I guess we just have to rethink our relocation! Bummer.
What is your moving schedule?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM

We were hoping to be moved in to the area by July 1st so we had some time to get to know the area before school started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area