Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,745,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If homeowners want this sort of thing, let them pay for it. Renters have been subsidizing homeowners far too long.

Got homestead exemption?
How have renters been subsidizing homeowners? Do you mean that a renter pays rent to someone who owns the house? Then the owner of that house uses the money to pay for the house and also to maintain it?

You pay rent for a place to live. Even though there is a lease, you are really only guaranteed a place to live as long as you keep paying. I know that there is a time period and hoops you have to jump through to evict someone, but the gist is that as long as you pay rent, you have a roof over your head.

Please explain the subsidizing to me.

I am not against renters, or homeowners. I have been both in my lifetime. Owning a home has definite advantages, as does renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,273,165 times
Just FYI in regards to Huntsville Housing Authority....

Two years ago we sold a bank foreclosure in North HSV, around $50k or so. The house had a tenant in place whose rents was paid by the HSV Housing Authority.

On the market, you might expect to get maybe $500/month or so (max) for a house like that....HSV was paying $950/MONTH in rent! :O Needless to say, that house sold QUICK and a smart investor snatched it up.

Crazy. Tax dollars hard at work!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,745,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Just FYI in regards to Huntsville Housing Authority....

Two years ago we sold a bank foreclosure in North HSV, around $50k or so. The house had a tenant in place whose rents was paid by the HSV Housing Authority.

On the market, you might expect to get maybe $500/month or so (max) for a house like that....HSV was paying $950/MONTH in rent! :O Needless to say, that house sold QUICK and a smart investor snatched it up.

Crazy. Tax dollars hard at work!
How do you find those kind of deals? If I knew I could pay $50k for a house and get $950 in rent, that would be a great deal!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:06 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,273,165 times
Diligently search. I have investors I work with, and we have to JUMP QUICK on things. A lot of times deals like that don't even get past the agents...but neither myself nor my broker were interested in becoming a landlord and investing in rentals (at least not in HSV anyway...I've been looking in Auburn for two years now).

That was a great deal...the tenant was a very nice lady and liked living there and planned on staying very long term, and her ability to pay was secure with the housing authority paying her rent. As long as she's there he has a steady income flow.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM

340 posts, read 724,572 times
Default HHA Extending outside City - Out to Rural & Madison County Neighborhoods

Moores Mill residents say Huntsville Housing Authority would bring 'city's problems' to their street | al.com

The Gurley and Moores Mill sites would become its first public housing outside the city.

While he cautioned that there are no written agreements in place to buy any of the units, Lundy said the Housing Authority's charter allows it to purchase real estate up to 10 miles outside the city limits.

That would include most of unincorporated Madison County as well as Gurley, New Hope, Triana, Owens Cross Roads and Madison.

Lundy said the Housing Authority's attorney has told him that no special approvals are needed to buy real estate in rural areas

--Flashback--
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 4:54 PM Updated: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 10:12 PM

More details emerging on $85 million Councill Courts project near Huntsville Hospital (Updated) | al.com

Dr. Phil Redrick, who chairs the Housing Authority board, said the land sale and lease proceeds will net the agency more than $6 million to build or buy affordable housing across the city.

"It's going to mean so much to our ability to deconcentrate poverty," Redrick said Thursday. "Our main concern is to benefit the (public housing) residents -- that's why we're doing this."

Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM

Default Before Updated Version - Huntsville Housing Authority, city leaders seek federal guidance on new notification law

Article titled ' Huntsville Housing Authority, city leaders seek federal guidance on new notification law' posted today at 3:59 stated....

"Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle, the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, Tennessee Valley BRAC Committee, Leadership Huntsville/Madison County and Committee of 100 are all backing the HUD review, saying the Rocket City cannot afford to be seen as a place that stands in the way of fair housing."

If you read the updated evening version it now is written differently. To read the updated evening version see the link at the bottom.

Below is the cached full article posted today at 3:59 before it was 'updated'. The link below goes to the cache website for the article. I printed the 3:59 article and noticed the differences.

Took out the beginning http:// because it was not showing up the link...
74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=leadership+Huntsville%2FMadison+county+and+com mittee+of+100+are+all+backing+the+HUD+review
&fr=yfp-t-701&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=leadership+Huntsville%2fMadison+count y+and+committee+of+100+are+all+backing+the+HUD+rev iew&d=552674997862&mkt=
en-US&setlang=en-US&w=6d91c52e,edfb7675&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=VnX9VLi4 XH0h9PU2cbKt3w--))"

Below is a snapshot of the Web page as it appeared on 7/9/2012.
Home > Breaking News from The Huntsville Times > Public housing
Huntsville Housing Authority, city leaders seek federal guidance on new notification law
Published: Monday, July 09, 2012, 3:59 PM
By Steve Doyle, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- The Huntsville Housing Authority is seeking federal guidance on a new state law that requires the agency to disclose potential real estate purchases 30 days before entering into a contract.

A resolution approved Monday by the housing authority's volunteer Board of Commissioners asks the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to review whether Senate Bill 205 conflicts with the federal Fair Housing Act of 1968.

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle, the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, Tennessee Valley BRAC Committee, Leadership Huntsville/Madison County and Committee of 100 are all backing the HUD review, saying the Rocket City cannot afford to be seen as a place that stands in the way of fair housing.

"HUD's view (of SB 205) is that it can be an impediment to fair housing, it can be a violation of the Fair Housing Act and a violation of civil rights," Battle told The Times' editorial board this morning.
"We as a community are asking HUD to give us a ruling ...and tell us if we do have a conflict of federal legislation versus state legislation."

Sponsored by state Sens. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur, and Clay Scofield, R-Guntersville, SB 205 requires the Huntsville Housing Authority to give at least 30 days advance notice before entering into a binding property purchase.

Also, the agency must get the City Council's blessing before seizing property through eminent domain.
The bill sailed through the Alabama Senate on a 35-0 vote in early May. It passed the House 59-33 the following week and was quickly signed into law by Gov. Robert Bentley.

Although the bill doesn't officially take effect until Aug. 1, the housing authority has already begun complying. Last month, Executive Director Michael Lundy announced that the agency was considering the purchase of 36 apartments, including 16 in Gurley and four in the Moores Mill community.
Within hours, residents of Riverside Drive in Moores Mill had launched a petition against the idea. The owner eventually decided to take the units off the market.

State Rep. Mike Ball, R-Madison, suggested the notification rule following the housing authority's 2009 purchase of Stone Manor apartments in south Huntsville, which caught the neighbors and most city leaders by surprise.

Ball said the Legislative Reference Service thoroughly reviewed SB 205 and did not raise any concerns about potential conflicts with federal housing law.

"I welcome HUD or anybody else to take a look at it," Ball said today. "I still support SB 205 and think it was the right thing to do. I haven't seen anything that would change my mind on that yet."
Ball said nothing in the bill prevents the housing authority from buying property: it simply requires the public to be notified first.

"The whole purpose," he said, "is to calm some of the fears the public has that the Huntsville Housing Authority is a large, aggressive entity that's trying to expand their footprint regardless of how the public feels."

Battle said any legal challenge involving SB 205 would likely be aimed at the city or housing authority, which are required by federal law to affirmatively further fair housing, rather than at the Legislature.
Such a lawsuit would force the city to spend scarce tax dollars on legal fees, he said, and result in negative publicity that could hurt Huntsville in the next Base Realignment and Closure round.
"If a Washington Post headline says, 'Huntsville, Ala., sued for unfair housing,' you can imagine what that would do to a BRAC commissioner," retired Lt. Gen. Jim Pillsbury of the Tennessee Valley BRAC Committee said today.

The updated version below (via the link).
--Update Version--
Huntsville Housing Authority, city leaders seek federal guidance on new notification law (Updated) | al.com

Old 07-11-2012, 03:25 PM

23 posts, read 34,722 times
Default Things to ponder...

Few things to ponder...

1-HHA is no only longer a SE problem..its a Madison County wide problem..for everyone!

2- It looks like the people making decisions in Huntsville (for tax payers) are working toward their own agenda and HHA to gather the real estate for the developments they want in/for Huntsville...not toward the tax payers of Huntsville/Madison county.

3-The tax paying people of Huntsville/Madison county should be selling and moving out of Huntsville/Madison county to other surrounding communities. People should think hard before purchasing a home in Huntsville,/Madison county unless tax payers are ok with the property devalues when HHA moves into their neighbor/back yard and money spent with disregard to tax payers.... Recall the downtown deal which pocketed HHA wiht close to $6 million for deconcentration...It takes common sense and a review of what has happened to the other cities that went down this same path...Huntsville will become a inner city... you think its bad now..wait.

4-As a tax payer, what do you want to be paying for, I for one do not want to pay taxes to Huntsville/Madison county to help support them or/and HHA current activities. Pay taxes (property and shopping) to a city, county, community that will listen and support the tax payer, not to one that wants to spend and talk about what they what, with disregard to its tax payers

Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,452,315 times
HHA only has authority in Huntsville and surrounding unincorporated areas, meaning that your property is 'safe' (from that organization) in Madison, Gurley, Hazel Green, etc.

I think that the HHA charter needs to be re-evaluated by the state; it is wrong that the HHA (whose board is selected by the Mayor of HSV) can buy property outside the city limits.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Default HHA - 10 miles outside the city limits

HHA - 10 miles outside the city limits

Article states (see below) HHA says they can go 10 miles outside of city limits

Moores Mill residents say Huntsville Housing Authority would bring 'city's problems' to their street | al.com

Previous Article posted stated
The Gurley and Moores Mill sites would become its first public housing outside the city. While he cautioned that there are no written agreements in place to buy any of the units, Lundy said the Housing Authority's charter allows it to purchase real estate up to 10 miles outside the city limits.
That would include most of unincorporated Madison County as well as Gurley, New Hope, Triana, Owens Cross Roads and Madison. Lundy said the Housing Authority's attorney has told him that no special approvals are needed to buy real estate in rural areas.

Go to link and select more ->city limits (Displays Pink). City of Huntsville Interactive Maps
City limits (pink) reaches into all parts of Madison County, 10 miles gets into City of Madison, Harvest/Monrovia, Owens Cross Roads, into NorthEast/West areas of Hazel Green, Moores Mill, Meridanville etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area