Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 12:27 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,493 times

Advertisements

I have been following the gas prices in Huntsville for the last week using GasBuddy. It seems that Sam's and Costco are having a price war. They have the lowest prices in town. A week ago they both charged $1.55 per gallon. Today they are both down to $1.49 per gallon. It seems most other places are at least 20 to 30 cents per gallon higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
The cheapest I've seen in Madison on the south side is $1.619 at Murphy (Walmart on Madison Blvd) but it's not top tier. There are two Chevron stations; one is $1.799 adn the other $1.899.

All the stations are just off the freeway so will be higher due to conveniece.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The cheapest I've seen in Madison on the south side is $1.619 at Murphy (Walmart on Madison Blvd) but it's not top tier. There are two Chevron stations; one is $1.799 adn the other $1.899.

All the stations are just off the freeway so will be higher due to conveniece.
Glancing at the heat map I see a number of stations around Madison have dropped their prices. For example:
$1.58 Madison Blvd (1)
$1.59 County Line Road (1), Sullivan (2), Wall Triana (1), Madison Blvd (1), Madison Pike (2), Zierdt Road (1)

Old 04-20-2020, 03:15 PM

I just checked GasBuddy for the latest gas prices. The lowest I have found is $1.45 per gallon. With the turmoil in oil prices today I expect the prices to drop even lower.

Note the GasBuddy web site right now is overloaded with constant timeouts. It took me several attempts to get in.

The oil prices dropped $35.97 today and is now in negative territory!

WTI Crude Oil Price
+$18.27 on Friday April 17 4pm
-$17.70 on Monday April 20

West Texas intermediate (WTI), also known as Texas light sweet, is a grade of crude oil used as a benchmark in oil pricing. This grade is described as light crude oil because of its relatively low density, and sweet because of its low sulfur content.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:26 PM

109 posts, read 95,202 times
But why is non-ethanol gas so high? It was 2.77/gal last week (I use it for my lawn mower).

Old 04-20-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
But why is non-ethanol gas so high? It was 2.77/gal last week (I use it for my lawn mower).
Where are you getting it? What is the price for regular ethanol gas there?

After a little bit of searching I found that Briggs & Stratton recommends non-ethanol gas for small engines. They also said E10 ethanol gas was OK but E15 was not. I bet very few people are aware of that. Of course even if they did would they even care?

Non-ethanol gas is probably higher than ethanol gas because refiners don't produce much of it. Add that to the fact that most stations probably don't carry it.

Ethanol Free Gas Stations
https://www.buyrealgas.com/Alabama.html

Last edited by MisterEd51; 04-20-2020 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-20-2020, 07:06 PM

50 posts, read 50,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
What grade was it? Mapco sells ethanol free 89, which is actually what you need if you are mixing 2 stroke oil. Last week I bought ethanol free 89 at Mapco for 2.49. To compare, I believe regular 87 was 1.68. I bought ethanol free in New Market for 1.99 over the weekend. So depending on grade, 2.77 last week may not have been crazy.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post

After a little bit of searching I found that Briggs & Stratton recommends non-ethanol gas for small engines. They also said E10 ethanol gas was OK but E15 was not. I bet very few people are aware of that. Of course even if they did would they even care?

You should only use non-ethanol gas in small engine equipment. I thought everybody knew that. The reason you should care is because most of us use small engine equipment occasionally so they sit there for weeks sometimes without being ran. Ethanol gas breaks down and creates sludge and varnish in the carburetor and the ethanol can also break down the rubber fuel lines in some equipment. This is why your small engine is so hard to start after it has sat for a while and sometimes won't start and all requiring the carburetor to be cleaned. This is especially true for when it sits over the winter unused. Start running non-ethanol gas in all of your lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, tillers, etc. and you will stop having clogged carbs and starting problems.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:09 PM

109 posts, read 95,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Where are you getting it?...snip..

The price came from Mapco last week when regular gas was 1.59/gal I think. Corner of North Memorial Parkway and Bob Wade Lane/Countess Rd. It's the only station I knew about that sold non-ethanol gas up this way (I live just west of Meridianville).

I began using only non-ethanol gas when I bought my JD riding mower (knee surgery).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area