Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:58 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times

Advertisements

The ticks are bad this year...I have gotten two on me just from walking lots in neighborhoods. ICK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM

42 posts, read 67,726 times
I really appreciate all the info! I lived in North Dakota a few years ago and out horses tails would be completely covered in ticks unless we used dog tick frontline on them. Is it similar for horses there?

I love Farmers Markets, we had lots in ND. Do you have any Amish or Hutterite colonies down here? We were able to get wonderful meat and fresh eggs from them. Do they have farm fresh eggs around?

I am happy to hear there is a Whole Foods there? Do you have any Traders Joes?

I am a Surgical Nurse. How many hospitals are within a 30-40 minute drive with Surgery Centers?

Is it hard to meet new people there? We are both 40, with no children. Is it difficult to meet girlfriends and form friendships? Just wondering how the city accepts outsiders?

Some places I have lived so far....Las Vegas, NV..... Santa Barbara, CA .....New Mexico.....Denver, CO......North Dakota. My favorite place has been North Dakota so far. We are looking for a place to settle down, buy a home, and enjoy this next chapter.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 AM

Amish...YES. Especially around Hartselle, Cullman, Fayetteville. There are many Amish and Mennonite communities. Somewhere near Tims Ford they have a big farmer's market...I have never been but my uncle drives from Gadsden to it. He buys homemade jams and jellies from the Amish. There is an Amish butcher in the Hartselle area.

There are several options locally for fresh eggs/chickens in the area.

Trader Joes. Sadly, not yet....but search "Trader Joes" on this forum and you will see how it has been pined over here We do have a Sprouts, which I LOVE and it is similar.

There is a surgery center in Madison as well as at the Huntsville Hospital and Crestwood....and Madison has a recently opened hospital as well, so several options. We have a pretty good medical community here.

Most people who live here are from somewhere else so you should fit right in

Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Farm fresh eggs all over the place, outside of Huntsville anyway. I pass signs all the time. Also at the farmer's mkt you can get organic or organic Free Range and that link that I posted earlier will list all the farms around where you can regularly get those eggs or chickens, goat's milk, goat cheese, etc. Not sure about others but Miles Albright has a huge ranch where you can order grassfed/finished beef, but get your order in early (buy a side or half side).
I'm near a Mennonite community but the only real offerings they have a beautifully constructed out buildings (gazebos, sheds, etc) and there is a bakery a few miles from me.
It is much easier to meet people now than when I first moved here in the 70s. Back then, outsiders were outsiders but now.. Huntsville is a city of transplants so no problems whatsoever. You do have to get out and do things to meet people obviously. A little effort goes a long way.
You should know that the weather here will be hot and humid in the summer. Not quite like the places you're used to. Some adjust readily, some a little slower.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 AM

All Natural Meats from Goose Pond Farm is a local farm where you can get all natural eggs and meats, from chickens and turkeys to beef, pork and lamb. Its in Hartselle but that is honestly not that far, especially if you are on the west side of town.

Farmers' Markets and U-Picks |Rocket City Mom This is also a good list of the local farmer's markets where you can meet the local farmers and purchase their different offerings. They will open generally spring thru early fall but you can learn where you can get different items during the offseason. The farmer's markets are going to be your best bet to learn about the different farms and what they offer.

There are also some produce co ops...I've done Plentiful Produce before and enjoyed it. Pick up is every Saturday and for $20 you get a gracious amount of fresh fruits and veggies. Plentiful Produce – Eat Healthier for Less!

Also, be sure to visit Belle Chevre in Elkmont. Gourmet goat cheeses and other products. http://www.bellechevre.com/

Old 04-17-2016, 01:52 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
There are a lot of meat "co ops" in the area, you just have to search for them. Many go to the local farmer's markets. The man who owns Last Resort on County Line, Russ Durling, has a beef and a pork co op and he has the best beef....grass fed. He usually splits it in 6ths.
He does? Where do I find him? I have been looking at Trinity and Goose Pond for meats...

Old 04-17-2016, 03:53 PM

I guess walk in Last Resort and ask for the man with the British accent

Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I guess walk in Last Resort and ask for the man with the British accent
I think the word I'm looking for is 'smartarse'

Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodnmic View Post
I am a Surgical Nurse. How many hospitals are within a 30-40 minute drive with Surgery Centers?
Huntsville Hospital, Decatur-Morgan Hospital, Madison Hospital, Athens-Limestone Hospital - the thing is Huntsville Hospital now owns everything around. I have a friend who is chief surgical nurse at Decatur-Morgan....a niece who is a surgeon's assistant at Huntsville....wages in this area are probably lower than in most other areas of the country.
Then again, living costs are lower.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:34 AM

42 posts, read 67,726 times
I appreciate all the info! I am loving it! I expect wage to be lower but I am coming from Denver CO where it's costs 1700$ for 900 Sq ft! 50% of my income going to rent as wages have not caught up with cost of living and real estate here. I have been here a year and I am ready to leave. Too many people. 10000 a month moving here!
I love the outdoors, but there is great outdoors in many parts of the country where you don't have to sell your soul for rent. I don't think I would mind the weather. I actually prefer humid....great for skin and hair. Plus, if I can live in ND -30 for 3 months straight...lol....I think I am pretty adaptable it's what you make of it .....right?
Love the Farmers Markets.....thank you soooo much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area